Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2020, 18:22   #16
BHPian

Re: Netflix's Android App is buggy; You might be watching Netflix in SD and not Full HD

iPhone 6S test pattern shows 720p max resolution video.

Amazon Fire HD10 - Shows 1080p test pattern video.

Amazon Fire 7 - shows 720 x 432 (this is expected as there is only SD resolution available in this tab).

Last edited by raksrules : 19th September 2020 at 18:23.
raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 19:30   #17
BHPian

Re: Netflix's Android App is buggy; You might be watching Netflix in SD and not Full HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Everyone had this problem.

The solution is to just reinstall NEtflix again. uninstall and reinstall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prasathlr View Post
This solution was the first thing that I tried, didn't work.
Hello everyone!

So I tried to uninstall and reinstall the Netflix app multiple times but the app was still showing me SD. So out of frustration, I had installed an older version of Netflix 4.x.x version. FullHD was working well in this older version of the app. I had been using older version since I made this post.

But, yesterday the Netflix app got auto updated to the latest version in the night and today I checked in 'Test Patterns' and I was able to see to 1920x1080. Seems to be some kind of Netflix bug which has mind of its own!

Aquaman looks so good on mobile now!
prasathlr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 21:36   #18

I personally don't watch Netflix on mobile and for the smaller screen size, proxy HD seems good enough. You can not tell the difference on a mobile screen.
On laptop and TV I am able to stream at 1080p easily and even on 4K whenever the speeds are good.
It's true that they should not be calling it HD for mobile phones and should just tell the truth to the customers but while viewing on such a small screen, it really doesn't make any difference at all.
Old 20th September 2020, 00:30   #19
BHPian

This has actually nothing to do with Netflix. This is all about your device's Widevine certification level ( a way of enforcing DRM rules ) which is explained here.

You can stream Full HD content only if your device is Widevine L1 certified. L3 certified devices can only stream in 960 × 540.

I own a OnePlus 5(bought it when it was released, I think in 2017) and this has just recently received an L3 certification. I could now use Netflix, but before it received certification, I couldn't even install Netflix app.
neelkumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 00:35   #20
BHPian

This is not a Netflix specific problem.
A Widevine license will dictate the resolution at which most of these OTT apps will be able to display their content.

Certain phone manufacturers have started pushing the Widevine L3 license instead of Widevine L1.

There is no financial logic to this as there is no fee for these license' as explained in this article here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.and...ed-821935/amp/

Certain manufacturers like Poco are fixing this by software updates but this problem will only go away only if your phone gets that L1 license.
Vedant Gupta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 09:21   #21

I have Galaxy S10.
I'm getting Full HD written in the settings.

Test Pattern: 3840x2160 (4k)
Old 20th September 2020, 11:33   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitishk View Post
I remember this came out in early day of the pandemic, now sure things have changed since then.

Netflix Lowers Video Quality in India to Reduce Network Stress Amid Pandemic
Yes, this is a reason I went from the 800Rs. UHD plan to the 649 1080p plan earlier this year. Netflix weren't streaming at even 1080p at some point. But I have gone back to the UHD plan and have recently verified that on my TV / Xbox One, the content is streaming in 4K again. I can also confirm that my iPhone 8 Plus is streaming the content at 1080p. So it's not a global/pan-India reduction anymore.

960*540 isn't ProxyHD or any sort of HD, it's far less than even XGA(1024 * 768) which is what budget monitors in the early 2000s used to come with. It's not just technically cheating, it is absolutely abysmal. It may not be as noticeable on a phone, but try setting your computer's display to XGA or lower resolutions and you'll notice just how pathetic this "ProxyHD" stream is.
I can appreciate the difficulty of getting high quality DRM content to stream on a plethora of devices running different OSes on very different hardware, but calling 540p "HD" is a lie. Particularly when we are paying for 2160p "UHD" content. 540p is a stream with 1/16th of the UHD pixels!

I would expect them to at least be upfront about it, if not apologetic. Because there's also a 499/- per month (or even 199/- per month plan, for mobile devices) plan that can stream at nearly the same quality of 540p.

Also, a slight correction - 1440p isn't/shouldn't be named 2K. The 2/4 stands for the number of horizontal pixels(4K - 3840 *2160, 2K - 2048 * 1080 - very close to 1080p), and 1440p would actually be called 2.5K by that naming convention. 1440p(2560 * 1440) is commonly referred to as Quad HD, as it offers 4x the resolution as a 720p monitor.
Old 20th September 2020, 15:12   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelkumar View Post
This has actually nothing to do with Netflix. This is all about your device's Widevine certification level ( a way of enforcing DRM rules ) which is explained here.

You can stream Full HD content only if your device is Widevine L1 certified. L3 certified devices can only stream in 960 × 540.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedant Gupta View Post
This is not a Netflix specific problem.
A Widevine license will dictate the resolution at which most of these OTT apps will be able to display their content.

Certain phone manufacturers have started pushing the Widevine L3 license instead of Widevine L1.

Certain manufacturers like Poco are fixing this by software updates but this problem will only go away only if your phone gets that L1 license.
Thanks for all this info.
Adding the link for the app here
I didn't bother to check though.

Serves me right for hanging onto a phone for 4 years.

Apparently some manufacturers are also downgrading to L3 via OTA update after complaints of phone overheating issues with HD streaming on their devices.
psispace is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 20:15   #24
BHPian

Hi all
I also want to draw attention on one more issue.
Even after having L1 certification why still movies streamed from mobile to tv are not full screen with a HD plan? For example Malang movie in a full HD LED Panasonic tv of mine.
Can someone throw some light on it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks