Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2020, 00:13   #1
BHPian

Netflix's Android App is buggy; You might be watching Netflix in SD and not Full HD

Recently, I was watching an MKBHD video on Youtube and was appreciating the effort he puts into his production quality. I was watching the video in 2K resolution. That's when something suddenly struck me that something was off with Netflix App. I usually watch Netflix on my TV and rarely on my phone. Some days ago I noticed that the Netflix video quality was not FullHD and had brushed it off as a poor internet connection. I went down the rabbit hole and came out disappointed and mad at Netflix. I am paying Rs. 800/month and this is not the service I expect from them. This issue seems to be affecting most of the Android Phones, even the high-end models. So below is the findings and the temporary workaround.

The Issue: Some Android phone owners are watching Netflix content in SD and not in FullHD.

How to find if your phone is affected:
  • 1. In Netflix catalogue search for 'Test Patterns'. Play this video on your phone. On the right top corner, you might see the resolution like 960x540. Ideally, the resolution you see should be 1920x1080.
  • 2. In Netflix app>App Settings>Diagonstics>Playback Specification> Maximum playback resolution is displayed as SD and not Full HD.

Down the rabbit hole:
  • 1. I spoke with the Netflix support and he mentioned that 960x540 is considered HD. I was confused, I thought maybe they use this format for mobile devices but I still couldn't understand why the movies in Netflix looked so bad. After some more research into 960x540, I found that it is called 'ProxyHD'. The quality of 960x540p50/60 is considered better than SD and worse than HD. IMO, Netflix shouldn't call this HD at all, I would classify this as a shady business practice.
  • 2. I am using Google Pixel 2XL. I can watch Youtube videos in 2K (1440p). According to Netflix, the internet speed should be higher than 25Mbps to watch FullHD content. I did a speed test and my internet speed was consistently at 80-90Mbps. So both the hardware and internet speed is higher than the recommended levels to watch FullHD content. I found that people have been reporting this issue for more than 3 years and yet Netflix haven't fixed it.

Things that might work:
  • 1. The most recommended solution was to change the streaming settings from Standard to High under downloads. But this didn't work for me.
  • 2. Side load an older version of Netflix app. This finally worked, I was able to see Aquaman in FullHD. I confirmed this through the 'Test Patterns' video in Netflix. On the top right corner, the resolution is shown as 1920x1080. The maximum playback resolution finally changed from SD to Full HD. But on the downside, so many features are missing. You can't fast-forward the video using 10s button. The Aquaman movie didn't fully fit the mobile screen, there were huge bezels around it.

I am really disappointed in Netflix for this. One could argue that a normal consumer may not notice it but then they shouldn't be promoting their highest pack as UltraHD while they provide SD content. For example, my wife thought that video played under SD was pretty decent and found nothing much to complain. After sideloading the app in my phone, I showed her the same movie in Full HD in my phone and SD in her phone. The difference was night and day! She finally agreed that there was huge difference in quality.

I would like to know if any other member in this forum faced this issue and if they found a solution for it. I didn't find a relevant thread for this, hence creating a new one.
prasathlr is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 10:41   #2
BHPian

Re: Netflix's Android App is buggy; You might be watching Netflix in SD and not Full HD

I remember this came out in early day of the pandemic, now sure things have changed since then.

Netflix Lowers Video Quality in India to Reduce Network Stress Amid Pandemic
nitishk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 11:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Netflix's Android App is buggy; You might be watching Netflix in SD and not Full HD

You are right.
I ran the Test patterns and it is indeed showing 960*540 resolution. That's pathetic from Netflix. Although this doesn't affects me as I never watch Netflix on phone. Will check resolution on laptop too when I log in next.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 13:14   #4
BHPian

I checked on my Samsung Galaxy device, and it is showing 1080P resolution.

I almost don't watch anything on my cellphone, may be except some YouTube videos. And so I never bothered about checking it. But your post got me thinking. I am getting 1080P and my cellphone supports higher resolution, which is what I set it at. And if even premium service like Netflix can't display higher than 1080P on a 4K plan then what is the point of having higher resolution displays?

Last edited by akbaree : 16th September 2020 at 13:15.
akbaree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 17:27   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitishk View Post
I remember this came out in early day of the pandemic, now sure things have changed since then.
Well, I would have given Netflix the benefit of doubt regarding the bandwidth allocation due to the pandemic but unfortunately, this issue is being reported for the past 3 years and Netflix hasn't taken the steps to rectify it. Moreover, I was able to get 1080p with an older version of Netflix app but not with the newer version of the Netflix app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
I checked on my Samsung Galaxy device, and it is showing 1080P resolution.

I almost don't watch anything on my cellphone, may be except some YouTube videos. And so I never bothered about checking it. But your post got me thinking. I am getting 1080P and my cellphone supports higher resolution, which is what I set it at. And if even premium service like Netflix can't display higher than 1080P on a 4K plan then what is the point of having higher resolution displays?
Exactly the point I am trying to make! I watch Netflix content on my phone only when someone else is using the TV at home. Hence, I never bothered noticing the quality of the content as the difference in quality while watching on a TV is pretty apparent but I think when it comes to the phone the difference is not that apparent. I know many of my friends watch Netflix on a phone who stay in a PG or a shared apartment. We have reached a stage where we need to run some tests to confirm if we are watching content in FullHD or higher resolution in phones.

Does this mean that Netflix knows this important detail and prefers to stream lower-quality content all the while charging the customers for UltraHD plan? Is this really a bug or are they fleecing their customer?

Last edited by prasathlr : 16th September 2020 at 17:33.
prasathlr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 18:57   #6
BHPian

Have the same issue here. Although off late I have been feeling the video quality in TV was bad. Can we do the same checking in TV as we did for the phone?
Old 16th September 2020, 20:01   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_aveo1.4 View Post
Have the same issue here. Although off late I have been feeling the video quality in TV was bad. Can we do the same checking in TV as we did for the phone?
Some TVs have an information button which shows the details like video quality. Both my TCL 4k smart TVs have this feature. Check if there is something like that on your remote.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 21:51   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_aveo1.4 View Post
If you are finding that the Netflix content on your TV is not up to the standard, then you can search 'Test Patterns' in Netflix for your TV.

Other than Netflix, you must have the capability to change the resolution in the settings.
Old 16th September 2020, 22:19   #9
BANNED

I am also having the same issue with Netflix on Pixel 2XL and always used to think it is related to compatibility with my phone. Now you have explained I feel robbed for so many years paying 800 INR per month and not getting what I paid for.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 17th September 2020 at 11:32. Reason: Typo
Old 16th September 2020, 22:34   #10
BHPian

It could be device specific issue. I tried the same Test Patterns video on my phone, Redmi K20. It shows 1920x1080. I tried with multiple episodes of Test Patterns, each differing in frame rate 24, 29 etc. All played as per their respective frame rates. My connection, 16 mbps, isn't even a very fast connection.

I watch a lot of content on mobile only but I did not know how to check resolution in Netflix, unlike Amazon Prime, where it clearly shows at bottom left, at what resolution the video is playing.
shipnil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 23:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

1280 x 720 is considered HD and 1920 x 1080 is Full HD. So technically, calling 960 x 540 HD is cheating.

I'm not a Netflix subscriber, but this is cheating unless they clearly state the limitations due to your phone/internet connection.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 17th September 2020 at 11:32. Reason: Typo
Old 17th September 2020, 00:32   #12
Team-BHP Support

Everyone had this problem.

The solution is to just reinstall NEtflix again. uninstall and reinstall.

If you go to netflix playback settings look at widevine DRM level version. If it is level 1 then it is HD. L3 is SD.

Netflix's Android App is buggy; You might be watching Netflix in SD and not Full HD-whatsapp-image-20200726-12.54.45.jpeg

Netflix's Android App is buggy; You might be watching Netflix in SD and not Full HD-whatsapp-image-20200726-12.56.18.jpeg

https://www.androidauthority.com/wid...lained-821935/
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 05:54   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

This solution was the first thing that I tried, didn't work.
Old 19th September 2020, 13:26   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

If you go to netflix playback settings look at widevine DRM level version. If it is level 1 then it is HD. L3 is SD.
Thanks for the info.

I re installed. Funny, even with compatible mobile (Galaxy S7 Edge) and UHD plan, still in L3 version.

Off topic, I also recently found out that you cannot get audio if you stream Netflix via Chromecast (Gen 2) connected to an amplifier. Something to do with some compatibility with DTS coding in the app. It works if I connect the Chromecast directly to the TV. But the audio experience is not great as I don't have HDMI ARC.

On troubleshooting with Netflix and Chromecast helplines, apart from each of them blaming the other, connecting directly to the TV was the only workaround.

Incidentally, even the Hotstar app has the same issue with audio. But I found a setting in the app to turn of DTS encoding which solved the issue. Not a great solution, but when your family has hijacked all the other entertainment systems, at least there is an option.

I have seen these issues about Netflix in a lot of forums. Some dating 4 years ago. They don't seem to be interested in fixing this code.

I very rarely watch movies on mobile or stream on Chromecast as they are strenuous on the eyes and migraine inducing. But if anybody had similar problems like this and found a workaround (or if I am missing something), I too would appreciate some advice.
psispace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 17:35   #15
BHPian

Not sure if this helps but I just tested this on Galaxy S10+ using my ACT broadband 100 Mbps connection.

Playback specification shows:-
Widevine : L1
Version : 15.0.0
System ID : 7176
Max Playback Resolution : Full HD
Supported Hardware Codecs: VP9 (Secure), AVC-High(Secure)
HDR Capabilities : HDR 10 - HEVC

Test Pattern shows : 1920*1080, PAR 1:1, 8 bpc, 23.976 fps

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks