Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2020, 18:09   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Record Player Thread - All Things Analog

This thread reminds me of Accept's song titled Analog man...

"I was born in a cave, when stereo was all the rage
Gatefold vinyl and eight tracks ruled the world...
I'm an analog man trapped in a digital world"

Dot's are just lines in the song i skipped.
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 18:27   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
Also the paradigm shift that has happened where to explore newer albums there is no better choice than streaming services since not every newer album have vinyl editions or even CD editions.
I am also seeing a small resurgence in portable media players from companies like Onkyo, Sony, and FiiO. Most of these are equipped with wifi and can both stream as well as play audio from micro SD cards.

If people can stream movies, I don't see why they cannot demand high quality DSD files for their audio streaming too. At least I hope there develops a demand for this so that more high quality music becomes available.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 18:38   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Am and have always been an audiophile with a special like for vinyl. Have just brought back my good old HMV 1515 stereo turn table of 1979 back in working condition.
The good, old faithful HMV 1515 stereo, aged 41 years is back to life. What a lovely way to start with playing Rabindra Sangeet (artiste Ms Sumitra Sen (1932–1983) on a 33 rpm EP - 3+3 songs) ?

Last edited by Aditya : 7th October 2020 at 19:33. Reason: As requested
anjan_c2007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 19:08   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
If people can stream movies, I don't see why they cannot demand high quality DSD files for their audio streaming too. At least I hope there develops a demand for this so that more high quality music becomes available.
Eyes can see difference in high quality video streams, but you need good headphones/speakers and what have you to listen to DSDs and SACDs properly.

Imagine listening to a DSD file from a SACD rip on bOat headphones.

I did try MQA (doors album) on my v40 with the sabre dac onboard. File size is similar to a regular flac, but it was way too loud to appreciate it.
Old 6th October 2020, 20:47   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The good, old faithful HMV 1515 stereo, aged 41 years is back to life. What a lovely way to start with playing Rabindra Sangeet (artiste Ms Sagar Sen (1932–1983) on a 33 rpm EP - 3+3 songs) ?
Oh, that familiar rumble and pulley noise probably you need a new idler pulley and some lubrications to suppress that noise. Your player looks very clean though.
I’ve noticed that old Indian records sound much warm and soothing to ears on these Philips or HMV record players with ceramic cartridges rather than fancy players.
Enjoy the good music

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 21:39   #36
BHPian

Since we are discussing music on an automotive forum, Im not surprised by the number of audiophiles in TBHP.

I would like to add some uncanny similarities between the petrolhead and the audiophile and hence the intersection is obvious.

Both are enthusiasts who obsess over their equipment/machinery to achieve a particular desired objective which appeals to their respective use case. The general public doesn't understand why we emote so much about cars when they are just A to B transport. Similarly general public cannot fathom why audiophiles are bothered about what cables they are plugging into their system, to listen to music which well can be a one touch affair on a mobile phone.

But one stark difference in the world of Hi-Fi compared to automotive scene, is that HiFi systems give oh so tiny incremental gains for a disproportionate amount of investment and the result may not necessarily trump over a cheaper system. The point of diminishing returns is hit very quickly in the HiFi scenario.

A pricier car, rather a pricier variant mostly gives proportionate, tangible gains.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 21:43   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Among the most valuable LP record in my collection. This was personally autographed by Late maestro Shri Salil Chowdhury (1925-1995), on 25.09.1993, when I had personally called upon him.

The Record Player Thread - All Things Analog-fb_img_1473040770561.jpg
anjan_c2007 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 02:24   #38

Anyone seen a Front Loading automatic turntable before? I hadn't, and i bought it without a second thought when i came across one in a second hand shop in Basel. Luckily this one has survived the time with me in Basel and also the journey to India.

Brockenhaus as they are called, are second hand shops that are plenty to find. There used to be one on my daily walking route. This one had a good collection of vinyl as well. The turntable was let go at 10CHF and the Vinyl box sets at 5CHF each. Some of the vinyls are as good as new...

The Record Player Thread - All Things Analog-img_5155.jpg The Record Player Thread - All Things Analog-img_5156.jpg

Dad used to have a Garrard turntable which his elder brother got him from Canada quite a while back. We weren't able to service it locally and finally had to let it go. I got dad a Project in 2002 and it still works great.

Some of the Vinyls i nicked from Dad...
The Record Player Thread - All Things Analog-img_6774.jpg The Record Player Thread - All Things Analog-img_6775.jpg

The Record Player Thread - All Things Analog-img_6777.jpg The Record Player Thread - All Things Analog-img_6778.jpg The Record Player Thread - All Things Analog-img_6779.jpg

The Record Player Thread - All Things Analog-img_6780.jpg The Record Player Thread - All Things Analog-img_6781.jpg The Record Player Thread - All Things Analog-img_6782.jpg

The Record Player Thread - All Things Analog-img_6783.jpg The Record Player Thread - All Things Analog-img_6784.jpg The Record Player Thread - All Things Analog-img_6785.jpg

The Record Player Thread - All Things Analog-img_6810.jpg
The Record Player Thread - All Things Analog-img_7818.jpg

The Record Player Thread - All Things Analog-01.jpg The Record Player Thread - All Things Analog-02.jpgThe Record Player Thread - All Things Analog-03.jpg
HDarsi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 08:27   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Any Rega owners here?
Save a little more and get a Pioneer PLX-1000. I have the previous generation to the Planar 1. Its okay for casual listening. If you see yourself digging deep into vinyl as a format, the Pioneer will be a better player for the long run. Its direct drive too. Speed stability is unmatched compared to the Planar 1. Different price points so that is to be expected.

Start with the internal phono stage. If it does not sound satisfactory, then upgrade.

The Sonodyne Sonus 2605 are average speakers. I could not listen to them for long during a demonstration. They may sound different when driven with a Rega amplifier. I found them too bright with their own amplifier.

Quote:
modern Plastic TT from Numark that is a prtable one running on batteries for mobile usage (runs on ceramic cart).
These cheap plastic turn tables with ceramic cartridges and nothing but record destroyers. They sound horrible too.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 7th October 2020 at 08:33.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 08:46   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Save a little more and get a Pioneer PLX-1000.

The Sonodyne Sonus 2605 are average speakers.

Thanks for the suggestions. The Sonus was purchased used at a throwaway price from a nearby Olx seller. I have tried the Rega with some Polk RTI A5 which I owe and the combination sound too muddy.

Can you please suggest some FS speakers?
Old 7th October 2020, 08:52   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Can you please suggest some FS speakers?
Let us move the discussion to the Home Theater thread, for discussing speakers, please. Your question will get more visibility and recommendations.
Old 7th October 2020, 08:56   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Out of curiosity, is there any advantage at all to records? Like, I know Moderator Navin still uses CDs for the absolute sound quality he desires. Is there any similar advantage to records? Or just nostalgia?
All new generation of recording studios are now fully digital. So, new records (LP) are made from mastered digital copy. Hence analog advantage is gone.

Old analog recording medium like tape, LPs have limited dynamic range compared to digital. Modern audio format like DSD can give a sound experience far better than LPs. Also analog recording media degrade with time and usage but digital media can retain its originality for very long time.
Old 7th October 2020, 09:50   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Since records have limitations (dynamic range, bass, etc..) you need a better/smarter mastering engineer to master records than to master CDs.
Quote:
CDs actually have better dynamic range than Vinyls so CDs are supposed to produce the sound more accurately than vinyls.
Dynamic Range is probably the wrong term I used to describe vinyl sound. I don't know what the right word is but there is a certain transparency and openness to the sound that I've found hard to replicate on digital. I have not heard DSD yet so am probably missing out.
Old 7th October 2020, 09:53   #44
BHPian

What a nostalgic thread, thanks for the same.

We used to have a Gerard player in the '70, with an automatic 3 LP records stacker. (All the elite of town came to have a look).

Around the release of Dev Anand's Hare Rama Hare Krishna, dad had bought Usha Uthup's solo LP, he played it and asked us to name the singer.

Regards
Vinod
Old 7th October 2020, 13:04   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I don't know what the right word is but there is a certain transparency and openness to the sound that I've found hard to replicate on digital.
Newer CD players with upgraded DACs are pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDarsi View Post
The turntable was let go at 10CHF and the Vinyl box sets at 5CHF each.
Awesome stuff. Slowly build on this as you come across more deals. Today new LPs sell for Rs. 2000 or more.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks