Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2020, 15:14   #16
BHPian

Re: Apple M1 vs Intel chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Still a custom hardware with tight software integration will always perform better.
Not only custom hardware with tight software integration, but the M1 SoC being a RISC (Reduced Instruction Set Computer) chip helps a lot in performance.

RISC SoCs use way fewer but efficient instructions to execute any task. Hence they require lesser power & lesser RAM to perform a task.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
For an average consumer like me who uses a computer for browsing and office productivity. Looks like most apps are compatible with M1.
Here is the website which shows the status of compatibility of different apps.

https://isapplesiliconready.com/for/productivity
A useful list for people who would like to know the compatibility of apps & their usage requirements. Hope it'll be updated regularly. Kudos Godzilla!

Quote:
If you looking for a laptop purchase, do consider the new MacBooks as they are significantly faster and value for money than any other laptops in the market due to the game changing M1 chips.
Developers & others who do professional video, photo editing should wait for sometime until some of the apps start working or get optimized for the M1 SoC.

So fellow BHPians, do keep in mind your usage requirements before you decide to buy a Macbook M1 right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacBandit View Post
Within a year or two, most of the niggles will be sorted out, and most apps will be optimized for Apple silicon.
It will only get better and better, and I can't wait to see what they do for the 16 inch MacBook Pro and the iMacs.
Agree with you on this. Looking forward to the future of M1 silicon in Macbooks & Macs.

Quote:
Intel is a garbage bloated chip manufacturing company and I am happy to see that they are loosing out to the likes of AMD. They have had a huge market share without constantly innovating and improving their chips from generation to generation, and they have had delays with their recent generations, without much improvement in the performance or efficiency.
Yes, Intel was arrogant with their marketing strategies & thus product offerings, until AMD came back from the dead and spanked Intel with their Ryzen SoC architecture. Apple & a handful of companies approached Intel long back, to manufacture a line of SoCs based on ARM architecture for low power devices, only to be declined by Intel because they were pessimistic about the future of those devices. And oh boy, Intel is proved wrong, by doing the same mistake as Microsoft did by not thinking into the future regarding devices & their computing power!

Still, Intel provided SoCs which are reliable and fast enough for user's requirements. Intels are by no means a garbage bloated CPUs. It's their old 14 nm architecture now showing their limits in 10th gen Intel Core CPUs. They do have a hard time improving their architecture right now, which is evident in Intel's announcement that next-gen Intel CPUs with 10 nm architecture will be launched only by next year. A drawback of not improving their architecture for 5 generations.
Ultim8 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 17:53   #17
BHPian

Saw some videos of the macs with the new chip, the performance and the battery consumption figures were really great, i am just amazed by the hardware and software integration of apple products. Even google nexus products were good, can't say that for the pixel line.

I just hope that apple continue providing the charging bricks with the new macbooks, and doesn't start the "iPhone environmental friendly" scam there.
yesyeswe is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 08:05   #18
BHPian

If you have extra money to spare or use your laptop mainly for browsing the web and watching videos this will be great. But otherwise it's always sensible to wait for the 2nd or even 3rd generation of a new class of device which promises the same old (better) experience rather than something entirely new (user experience wise).

In my opinion, one should not go and buy one as their main device (especially people who use Macbooks for work).

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 28th November 2020 at 10:11. Reason: Typos and punctuation
Old 28th November 2020, 08:17   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
If you have extra money to spare or use your laptop mainly for browsing the web and watching videos this will be great. But otherwise its always sensible to wait for the 2nd or even 3rd generation of a new class of device which promises the same old(better) experience rather than something entirely new. (User experience wise).
I am not sure I agree with you. There are multiple videos on youtube where these have been chewing through 4k, even 8k video editing, compiling code faster than a full blown 16inch MacBook or even an iMac!

The only negative is that the subsequent machines from Apple would be even better but then again they wont be cheap and not everyone would want that kind of power.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 28th November 2020 at 10:09. Reason: Typo
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 08:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

Here's another comparison between Apple's own 16inch Intel MacBook vs 13 inch M1 MacBook. You could replace your 16inch MacBook with almost half priced M1 and be faster, more efficient and have much longer battery life. Its absolutely freaking amazing, the M1

Last edited by extreme_torque : 28th November 2020 at 08:57.
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 09:09   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I am not sure I agree with you. There are multiple videos on Youtube where these have been chewing through 4k, even 8k video editing, compiling code faster than a full blown 16inch MacBook or even an iMac!
My bad. Creative workflows and programming didn't cross my mind when I thought about "work". I'm sure these M1 powered devices will blaze past their intel counterparts when it comes to video editing, coding etc.
I was thinking more about, office applications and software platforms like Microsoft Teams, Slack and such enterprise stuff.

But given it's Apple we are talking about, I'm sure most mainstream applications will be updated/reworked to work natively on Apple silicon devices by their makers.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 28th November 2020 at 10:10. Reason: Typo
ZenMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 10:16   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacBandit View Post
Intel is a garbage bloated chip manufacturing company and I am happy to see that they are loosing out to the likes of AMD. They have had a huge market share without constantly innovating and improving their chips from generation to generation, and they have had delays with their recent generations, without much improvement in the performance or efficiency.

This is what happens when you have a monopoly. We will see it in India as few entities control everything but I digress. Back in the early 2000's, AMD really scared the pants of Intel and Intel hit back with strong innovation. Those were good days untill ..read on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultim8 View Post

Yes, Intel was arrogant with their marketing strategies & thus product offerings, until AMD came back from the dead and spanked Intel with their Ryzen SoC architecture. Apple & a handful of companies approached Intel long back, to manufacture a line of SoCs based on ARM architecture for low power devices, only to be declined by Intel because they were pessimistic about the future of those devices. And oh boy, Intel is proved wrong, by doing the same mistake as Microsoft did by not thinking into the future regarding devices & their computing power!
Exactly, after the success with Intel chips in the Macs, Apple came along with the iphone concept. Intel poo poo'd it saying no money in it Then along came the iPad. I remember in 2011 on my way to the Range Rover Morocco drive and I open up my brand new laptop in the business lounge and felt out of place as all other passengers whipped out there iPads. I felt extremely small (guess where I used to work!)

All this cost then then CEO Paul Ottellini his job. He, an energetic character, decided to take early retirement. You can do the math.

Quote:
They do have a hard time improving their architecture right now, which is evident in Intel's announcement that next-gen Intel CPUs with 10 nm architecture will be launched only by next year. A drawback of not improving their architecture for 5 generations.
PSO tried to play catch up by acquiring companies like Infineon for huge amounts. They also tried to add software services into it so more acquisitions. Some of them very questionable. Some companies remained for barely 2 years. Ottellini's successor then brought in folks from Qualcomm, he also got rid of the key folks who were key innovators and the brains behind the architecture. The Q gang brought in even more folks who rode roughshod over everyone. They decide to go into healthcare and fitness, within months, they walk out. They have invested "gobar" loads into autonomous vehicles. You dont hear too much about this. When it comes to everything else, the new stuff is incremental.

Then the CEO gets sacked for not keeping his pants in control. (his predecessor allegedly was more successful in that department). There was a long leadership transition (no proper successor planning), so the Q gang rode roughshod until they were thrown out a few months back. The new CEO is a finance person from outside the industry (maybe he engineered himself into the job somehow!). He probably cannot see much beyond the numbers.

Hence, all this management distraction and losses have created irreparable set backs for Intel's future innovation. Add to that the customer base has changed. Intel's biggest customers were Lenovo, IBM, HP, suddenly it became Amazon, Google, Microsoft. Things are moving too fast for this behemoth.

Last edited by ajmat : 28th November 2020 at 10:22.
ajmat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 11:45   #23
BHPian

Apart from legacy app compatibility, I don't see any gaps. And Apple will close that gap in no time. This is the best time to get the new Macbook. When they lauch the compatible versions of the app, it will automatically work in these Macbooks. And once that is done, the next gen Macbooks are going to be priced astronomically.

Whenever Apple has launched something new the naysayers have pooh-poohed it, and they continue to do so. Haters will be haters.

Apple ditched the PowerPC architecture and moved to Intel without any casualty. They even brought in a control key to their keyboard and nobody complained - people simply accepted it. Compared to then Apple is better placed for an architecture change now.
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 12:31   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post

they wont be cheap.
This is my fear. Start of this year, I was sort of planning to get the new iPad Air 4 (which wasn't announced yet then). With the existing ipad Air 3 price of 44K, I would expect the same price for new one.
Come October, when apple announced the new iPad Air, they redesigned it and are charging 54K+. So there goes my plans of buying the new iPad Air at old price.

I am hoping that doesn't happen with macbook air next year when the starting price is above 1lakh for base model.

Last edited by raksrules : 28th November 2020 at 12:32.
raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 17:55   #25
BHPian

I'd like to see next M chips versus Ryzen on 5nm. Talk about an Apple to Orange comparision. More competition!
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 23:12   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

I wasn't expecting a thread to be there on forum on this topic but, then it is always a pleasant surprise to see what all you can find and enjoy here

For a personal laptop, always been a windows guy but, have been on the fence from last couple of years to move to a macbook and was about to bite the bullet for Macbook 2020 (Intel chips version) just a couple of months back but, due to work got busy and unintentionally that purchase got delayed

Then came the M1 chip macbook and their reviews by almost every serious reviewer comparing it with intel chips says it blows the intel chips out of the water from a performance point of view. And, my decision was instantly made and placed an order a couple of weeks ago on Apple Store and it should arrive early next week

I know all about the issues being an early adopter for a new platform but, being in Apple ecosystem from last 6+ years, I am super impressed with their UI, Seamless Hand offs and super tight integration of Software and Hardware. Besides for a home use, what Rosetta can do is more than enough while other apps will latch on to the M1 in next few months.

Having said that, I have consciously decided to get deeper and deeper into their ecosystem by slowly and steadily buying all their products

Cant wait to get my hands on the M1 Macbook Air !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Apple M1 vs Intel chips-img_0703.jpg  

Last edited by mobike008 : 28th November 2020 at 23:16.
mobike008 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 09:52   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Cant wait to get my hands on the M1 Macbook Air !!!
Well, I got my M1 MacBook Air delivered today. Rose Gold looks absolutely gorgeous in person and glad that I ordered this color (normally I stick to their black or space grey for all their products)

This is our first ever MacBook so pretty excited. The set up was like a child's play and everything was set up and ready to play around within a few minutes

There was an update waiting so got that done which took a few minutes otherwise the laptop feels super fast (especially after coming from a 5 year old Dell i5 laptop)

The biggest thing about Mac OS is the similarity of the entire look and feel for someone who has used the iPhones. Feels like an extended space from the iPhone

This being a home laptop (to be used by both me and wifey) so will be used only for leisure activities, browsing etc

Any recommendations for testing the prowess of the M1 chips (Not the geek bench type of tests) but, something real life?

Cheers and will keep updating my experience with this one !!
Attached Thumbnails
Apple M1 vs Intel chips-f19789fa1d1c4296a23833a30d151812.jpeg  

Apple M1 vs Intel chips-snapseed.jpg  

mobike008 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 19:22   #28
BHPian

got my Mac book Pro 13" M1 with 16gb ram . Installed vscode, python and Miniforge(installed NumPy, Matplotlib and Pandas for arm via Conda package manager) for apple silicon and it is running smoothly so far. Didn't check the Tensorflow . For docker and other ML/DL am using cloud VM.
Emulator applications are just Postman and Wacom Tablet else everything runs on native silicon
The battery backup is amazing and native applications are really fast

Last edited by greyhound82 : 29th December 2020 at 19:30.
greyhound82 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 22:19   #29
Senior - BHPian

Got my MacBook Air M1 delivered yesterday, silver/16GB/1TB. My first Mac, very happy with the speed and ease of use after years spent with Windows laptops. Playing around and in the learning stage yet.

I want to install Ms Office (Word,Excel and PowerPoint), the lifetime, one Mac version available at Apple stores in Mumbai for INR 7999 is the 2019 version. Would this work with the M1 Mac natively or still run thru Rosetta? I believe the 2020 version has been released which is supposed to work natively.

Should i buy the 2019 version or wait for the newer release? Any idea when that could be in India? I am in no hurry as I still have my old Lenovo which I can use for these applications.

Guidance will be deeply appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 00:47   #30
Senior - BHPian

M1 vs x86 - While I can buy an x86 CPU from either of 2 vendors & in the size of my preference from few OEMs, how do I buy M1? For that, I would have to buy a 13" laptop with no choice

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks