Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2021, 13:10   #16
BHPian

Re: My iPad Air : How I ditched the laptop

I have been using iPad Pro 2018 with Apple Pencil2 from 1.8 years.

It runs butter smooth, has exceptional IPS display and the overall software experience has improved.

I have got a keyboard and a BT mouse to use it as a makeshift laptop.

Does it work?
Yes and No.

Yes: You have pointer, OS commands, multitasking like a laptop.

No: It is missing features as a laptop. I am using assistive touch tap to go to Home Screen.
It cannot run applications that can run on Mac or Windows 10.

If you are considering buying it, evaluate your usage.
I will suggest to buy 12.9 inches. 10.5” as a laptop screen is small.

It is fun to watch movies with IPS screen and stereo speakers.
It does feel livelier than iPhone whilst playing games.

If you are using an iPhone or a Mac, this will grow your and Apple’s ecosystem.

Last edited by Aditya : 10th January 2021 at 20:56. Reason: As requested
procrastinator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 15:15   #17
BHPian

I got the iPad Pro 11” cellular with the pencil about 15 days ago. I needed a device for travel and it’s certainly better to use for certain tasks. The phone just wasn’t cutting it.
In the ten days since I’ve been home, the Mac has been opened twice. Once for legacy search, and once for rearranging the iPad home screen. It’s just such a joyful experience to use the iPad compared to anything else. This was also the perfect weather to bring it in. There’s something so feel-good about watching your fav show in a lightweight all-screen display while cozily wrapped up in a blanket. Browsing pictures with family around couldn’t be better too.
This, and I haven’t even scratched the surface of what all only this device can do wrt apps and accessories.
Got the pro over the air mainly for Face ID.

My only wish to make it better: a screen as good as the iPhone Pro’s. Oh, and better scribble handwriting recognition.

Edit: spatial audio on the AirPods Pro with the iPad is just witchcraft. For media that supports it (Apple TV+), makes it feel like the audio is coming from within the screen, rather than in your ears. It’s surreal, and one of those little things that make the normal things you do feel incredible.

Last edited by ach1lles : 5th January 2021 at 15:19.
ach1lles is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 15:27   #18
BHPian

I have been using my 6th generation iPad with a Logitech K480 keyboard as a laptop replacement since an year. I need to make a presentation about once every month, and I use the iPad to type up the content, but use my desktop to format and edit it. iPad and keyboard works in a pinch but I still find myself defaulting to a computer for any serious work.
professor.march is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 17:12   #19
BHPian

Nice.
Even I got off the dependency of my terribly slow office laptop with the iPad Air. I went for the entire package with the magic keyboard and pencil & am thoroughly enjoying it especially after I restarted sketching in Procreate (albeit in a digital mode).

Pros:
Time saved- over an hour daily for start up, logins, meeting crashes, unexpected shutdowns and restarts at the time of meetings.
Battery life: lasts 1.5 working days for me 15 hrs of meeting time almost
Office work: great for making ppts, and word files
Light weight easy to carry/powerup and start working.

Cons:
Expensive like hell
Still struggling with Excel and the command/option/control buttons.
Heavier work like solver works better on the laptop until I learn to do it over the iPad.

Conclusion:
Whether I will ever buy a personal laptop again: Possibly no!

My iPad Air : How I ditched the laptop-whatsapp-image-20210105-17.10.57.jpeg
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 17:22   #20
BHPian

Congrats on this bad boy! Slap on some cool skins from the amazing folks at Gadgetshieldz.com The Air is a better purchase than the pros.
coolmel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 17:35   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_2401 View Post
(For people who aren't tied to an Apple ecosystem : )

I don't fully understand the need to go through the difficulties of migrating to a tablet from a laptop-based workflow, when Microsoft's Surface series offers a proper desktop environment in a tablet, complete with stylus? I understand that the iPad Air's pricing makes it (relatively) compelling, and that the A14 is a very powerful SoC for iPad OS, but these are the things I imagine to be difficult with making such a switch
The surface pro makes a pretty convincing case for itself. On paper. Unfortunately, though it doubles up pretty well as a laptop, it fails quite badly as being a tablet. The touchscreen just doesn't work as well as the iPad and I find it smoother to use the surface pen, which is pretty irritating when all I want to do is use it for tablet purposes. Also, the problem is that it works well as a laptop. I bought the surface to replace the iPad. Unfortunately, now I have a surface and a laptop. The keyboard cover is good, but doesn't lend itself in my opinion that well to long hours of drafting which is a given in my line of work. When I have to replace the surface, id probably buy a HP envy 360 or whatever.

Last edited by Aditya : 6th January 2021 at 05:02. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
redeff is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 19:42   #22
BHPian

Many congratulations. Nice practical review.

I am also on the lookout for a similar tablet. I want something that is productivity focused to enable me to pursue my other passions. Also I am thinking of keeping the phone just for calls and messaging while the tablet can do all the other stuff - trading, banking, social media, writing, etc. etc.

One big advantage of iOS over Android is the commitment from Apple for updates for atleast 5-6 years. I believe Samsung provides only 2-3 years

The other option is to look at the windows ecosystem. But app availability could be a big question mark.
diwakarmuthu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 20:08   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
I never thought that I would say this, but yes, I have ditched my laptop for the iPad.
What a coincidence.

Few weeks back, I also ditched my laptop when its HDD went kaput and purchased an iPad. It is indeed super-fast and I can easily carry it anywhere. I think it fulfils 95% of my needs and for the rest 5%, I always have my office laptop standby.
UP!!!! is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 20:20   #24
BHPian

Actually I have replaced my personal laptop with 2018 iPad Pro..I do use it like a laptop, including video editing for my youtube channel. And I have even used my ipad pro in the place of my office laptop for a couple of weeks when office laptop was sent for some repairs. I have created a youtube video on subject “Can 2018 ipad pro replace your laptop.?”
IntoTheStorm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 23:01   #25
BHPian

I suppose your work includes editing photos or videos which would be amazing with A14. However, from content creation point of view- can it fully replace a laptop? or it is targeted towards people who just surf and binge watch.
Old 6th January 2021, 11:15   #26
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Congratulations! iOS is the way to go these days. Apparently I am trying to move back to iOS again because Android just won't cut it anymore. I have 5 phones with me right now:

1) Galaxy Note 9 - Primary
2) LG V30+ - Secret number/work
3) Galaxy S7 - Custom OS testbed
4) iPhone 5S - Because it is still great (except the battery and the overheating)
5) Blackberry Bold 9790 - half the school had a BB back in 2012 and I didn't so why not, found it on quikr for 500 bucks and put in a new battery. Very nice phone, reminiscent of an era when phones were interesting

Apparently androids really suck at optimization and software support. Have to charge the Note 9 at least twice a day under light usage. Two major OS updates done (8->9->10) and no more. 8 GB of ram? Exynos Octacore? Where does that performance go? Can't run cusom rom because then banking and UPI apps won't work. On the other hand, look at my 2014 5S. Got iOS 14 last January, after 6 years! S7 and 5S have way better cameras than Note 9 and V30 despite of being generations older.

I think I'll try to move back to iOS whenever possible. Thanks for reminding me that Apple supports their devices much longer now.

Last edited by vredesbyrd : 6th January 2021 at 11:19. Reason: Small hands and a 6.8 inch screen don't really go well together
Old 6th January 2021, 12:52   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
I'm waiting for Logitech's Folio touch to land on our shores.
Logitech has a BT keyboard available on Amazon

https://www.amazon.in/Logitech-Multi...s%2C289&sr=8-4
Old 6th January 2021, 13:06   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
Logitech has a BT keyboard available on Amazon
I've used this keyboard for a few months with a Windows PC. Has frequent connectivity issues, you type something and at times it takes a cool 5-10 seconds for that to appear onscreen. For me, Logitech's dongle wirelesss keyboard-mice work seamlessly when compared to any bluetooth keyboard-mice I've used.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 13:31   #29
BHPian

I am curious to know how you handle files. It is not very straightforward like windows or even android. I bought the logitech rugged folio keyboard case thinking it would replace my laptop. Though logitech case is a great product the iPad itself is a long way from becoming a computer, atleast to me.

PS: am an android guy and hence a bit of bias is inevitable
Old 6th January 2021, 17:11   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrastinator View Post
I ....
It runs butter smooth, has exceptional OLED display and the overall software experience has improved.
Sir, the iPad Pro does not have an OLED screen. None of the iPad's have an OLED screen. It's a 120hz(ProMotion) IPS display. Also, you mentioned 10.5inches for the 2018 Pro model. The 2018 model came with 11 inch size. The 10.5" used to come till 2017.
DeepakS is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks