Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2021, 12:44   #16
BHPian

Re: Any difference between Power Banks, even if their rated capacity is the same?

I do not know if many are aware of these power banks which acts as UPS for wifi routers. I picked up one recently and it works well to give you uninterrupted wifi. The one I bought for 1.4k through amazon is Dr.com Smart Router UPS Mini Size 8000mAh.
VindyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 12:45   #17
BHPian

I have been using Romoss power banks for many years now. Earlier they were not available here but now they are. They provide adequate charge and if not used stay charged for many days. They are priced reasonably on Amazon now; earlier they had all kinds of import duties. The new ones with Li-Polymer are really good.

Earlier I used to keep one heavy duty for long travels or drives and one light one for my laptop bag. The laptop bag has a tendency to become heavier over time! Now wherever you go there are charging facilities, be in aircrafts or back seat of cars. Also mobile batteries are much better lasting now. So I just keep one with 10000 maH.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th February 2021 at 04:29. Reason: Back to back posts merged
neerajku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 14:01   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: Any difference between Power Banks, even if their rated capacity is the same?

Look out for PD (Power Delivery) type C charging port, which can enable phones with fast charging to charge at the same rate as when plugged to its OE wall charger. The word 'fast' charging has become quite generic in product description and may not always stand for what we expect

On similar lines, fast (re)charging of the power bank from the mains which require a compatible wall charger/cable
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 19:06   #19
BHPian

I suffered for years with a phone whose battery % dropped right before my eyes. Having to carry around a bulky Power Bank all the time to ensure that my phone didn't die on me before afternoon really got cumbersome. So I finally just bought the phone with the biggest battery I could find (6000mAh). I also don't have to deal with having a PowerBank when travelling on a plane.

I am a really happy man now. Easy 2 day battery life with normal usage.

If you are looking for a powerbank to just keep you phone alive at the end of the day, the best thing is to just buy a phone with huge battery next time. You can ofcourse buy one if you are planning to or regularly go on long journeys.
ZenMaster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 20:52   #20
BHPian

Two additional options with wireless charging built-in, may not help folks who "urgently" charge their dying phones.

A really neat solution!

https://www.amazon.in/Samsung-Wirele.../dp/B07SPK6TZK

https://www.amazon.in/Wireless-10000...dp/B0862JQY2V/
Old 14th February 2021, 17:17   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
If you are looking for a powerbank to just keep you phone alive at the end of the day, the best thing is to just buy a phone with huge battery next time.
This is what I did too .
I find the whole cable carrying thing a menace too (I also saw many posts regarding the cable type. I thought the new ones were wireless). Nonetheless I still have my 3 year old power bank with me at all times and is still holding up pretty well. It is from a brand called ANKER. The reason I still carry a power bank is when there is excess travel and I do not wish to leave my phone some place to charge it up. My friends and colleagues have also used my power bank to charge their dongles, smart watches etc. With Covid taking over the last year, my power bank has been pretty useless. Still once every month I do charge it up fully and use it.

Last edited by TrackDay : 14th February 2021 at 17:20.
Old 15th February 2021, 10:01   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
If you are looking for a powerbank to just keep you phone alive at the end of the day, the best thing is to just buy a phone with huge battery next time. You can ofcourse buy one if you are planning to or regularly go on long journeys.

Agreed, I jumped from an S7 Edge (3600mAh/Exynos) to an M51 (6000mAh/Snapdragon). In all my years with Samsung and OnePlus phones, I truly believe the Exynos ones damages the battery faster than any other SoCs out there.

Since the new phone is also easily lasting a day for me, I don't plan to carry around my charger everywhere. I have also turned off fast charging and leisurely charge the phone for 2+ hours when I'm working or catching an offline break.

Last edited by moralfibre : 15th February 2021 at 13:08. Reason: Fixing quote tag
Old 15th February 2021, 19:39   #23
BHPian

I have used 3 power banks so far.

1st one was maybe many years ago which was a mere 2000Mah I guess, bought from a normal mobile accessories shop, some Chinese brand it was. It was fine for few days but one day what I luckily found out was - it was emitting fumes while charging my mobile!
I somehow removed the mobile from the power bank but the power bank was still in the power-ON mode emitting fumes and burnt smell for 10 minutes + and it was not switching off at all. Finally, I took a bucket full of water and disposed of the power bank in it for a day- Case closed and that's when I decided I am not going to take risks on power banks anymore.

The 2nd one was a Mi 10000mah slim power bank which served me extremely well for 2+ years, later the charging capacity came so low and had to be disposed of. The unit was intact and there was no bulge.

Currently using a 20000mah Noon East power bank which supports Qualcomm quick charge 3.0. Great so Far!

Last edited by kamilharis : 15th February 2021 at 19:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks