DUMete
u have a link ... ?
DU Meter Home Page

Simple man.......
Old 26th April 2007, 18:41   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
the high speed recording gives me some compatibily issues like the dvd will not be able to be read on other drives ..... so I also burn them at 4x......
LBM,
With all due respect, thats not correct.
There are no compatibility issues.
As long as the format is supported they work, unless you are using cheap low end equipment.

Yes, Burning at low speeds guarantees long life, less errors, and clear read write of the burned material.
There are thousands of articles on burning speed vis-a-vis quality. -- GOOGLE.

Simply because burning data is in binary format 0/1.
These are represented as pits and troughs on the cd/dvd; slower the burn deeper the pits and thus quality is enhanced, with scratches not affecting the integrity of burned data.

Analogy, if you put your fingers on sand in a beach and draw a line, the slower you go, deeper and wider the line, if you go faster the line is not as deep/clear.
Finger = Laser
Sand= Optical Medium Surface.
===============================
Hmm, just posted and saw DUMeter as the current topic.
DUMeter aint free.

and yes BW Meter is the alternative.
has multiple device support and is fully free.
and yes just Google it.

Last edited by babhishek : 26th April 2007 at 18:48.
Old 26th April 2007, 18:49   #48
BHPian

Only SATA in 200 GB is from Seagate, with a Local Casing from Gemeni it will cost you Rs.3990 All inclusive.

I recommend take the IDE 200 GB Barracuda Seagate and Advik casing for around Rs 3600 all inclusive.

Since its external, Sata or IDE will not make a huge difference in speed.

DVD burner, The Best is from LG 18 X Light Scribe for around 2800, and LG 16 X DVD Burner will be around 1750-1850 all inclusive.

Stay away from Samsung Optical drives as the Trays go bad, Sony is a good buy, But Bad support.

Its best to burn heavy DATA with slower speeds, Although I'm yet to find a Bad Burn on full speed, I use Writex DVD, Moser Baer DVD, Samsun CD, Samsung-Sony Moser Baer RW..!

Its only the Cheap ones Tyco, Typhoon, National That the Bad Burn can happen..But have done Full Speed on them too, No issues..!

Infact I had some Old MP3 burnt in the days of CD RW 24 X anD They still work good...Both My current DVD Burner and Old CD RW are LG and even after 4 years the CD RW tray and Reading is great...!

Last edited by wolfinstein : 26th April 2007 at 18:54.
Old 26th April 2007, 20:01   #49
Senior - BHPian

please delete double post.

Last edited by merve_extreme : 26th April 2007 at 20:08. Reason: double post
Old 26th April 2007, 20:07   #50
Senior - BHPian

It is completly wrong information the slow burning gives the best results always.

1)the burn quality depends on the media use.Verbatim,Taiyo Yuden,Mitsubisi Chemical are some very good quality DVD media manufacturers.Their media will give you a consistent burn at any speed.whereas media like Moser baer,prodisc,rietek etc make cheap discs which dont give good burns at high speed.
Now Moserbaer also manufacturers discs for Sony(D21 a.k.a MBI0340) and some others and those discs are of higher quality than the Moser baer pro(MBI0140,these discs write somewhat ok but have relatively poor life) that we get.So better discs will always give consistent burns at high speeds.

2)Most DVD writers are not the best CD writers hence it is recommended to write CD's at below their designed speed,this is especially true for CD-RW discs.

3)The quality of the writer also determines how good a disc will get burnt.SonyNEC(optiarc),Pioneer,LG,BenQ,Plextor are external burners,but poor scanners(readers) whereas drives from Samsung,Liteon and early LG drives give average burns but are very good scanners(readers).

so it depends on the disc quality,writing and reading performance of a drive to determine how good the performance of the burnt disc will be.

also note LG drives(new ones) are riplocked(this technology reduces the read speed of DVD-Video dics to 4X to deter people from riping movies).so dont worry if the LG Dvd-RW takes more than 25mins to read a full DVD video disc in a Movie ripping software whereas a Sony or liteon will achive it in 10 mins.

Last edited by merve_extreme : 26th April 2007 at 20:14.
Old 26th April 2007, 22:59   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babhishek View Post
LBM,
With all due respect, thats not correct.
There are no compatibility issues.
As long as the format is supported they work, unless you are using cheap low end equipment.

Yes, Burning at low speeds guarantees long life, less errors, and clear read write of the burned material.
There are thousands of articles on burning speed vis-a-vis quality. -- GOOGLE.

Simply because burning data is in binary format 0/1.
These are represented as pits and troughs on the cd/dvd; slower the burn deeper the pits and thus quality is enhanced, with scratches not affecting the integrity of burned data.

Analogy, if you put your fingers on sand in a beach and draw a line, the slower you go, deeper and wider the line, if you go faster the line is not as deep/clear.
Finger = Laser
Sand= Optical Medium Surface.
===============================
Hmm, just posted and saw DUMeter as the current topic.
DUMeter aint free.

and yes BW Meter is the alternative.
has multiple device support and is fully free.
and yes just Google it.

I have a sony writer and If I write with it on the moser baer pro dvd at full speed...and it does not read it.....but works fine when written at slow speed......now what is this....

about the dumeter who said it is free......I only answer which software it is ......BTW.......BW meter is also not free.....

DeskSoft - BWMeter - Powerful bandwidth meter, monitor and traffic controller
Old 27th April 2007, 01:00   #52
Senior - BHPian

clubcdphreaks says that burning at low speed helps and i knew about it from there and yes it sure helps specially with HU in cars.

BTW my download is like 7.6GB(i enjoy 2MBPS) + 40GB each month this includes like 6+ hours or online radio listening daily @128Kbps And my laptop works his @$$ of for me whole day. And is only turned of sometimes at night hehe...

The max i have my laptop working nonstop is like from 18 March 2007 till today as i just restarted today after windows UPDATES. and that was a rest for this poor baby like for 10 secs hehe. And the temperatures of my laptop in day till evening is 78C HDD temp is 50 - 54C and after evening it goes down to 71 while i m working at 60 while its idle at night downloading and ripping radio.

I am thinking of getting dryice for it lol...
Old 27th April 2007, 13:52   #53
BHPian

crap this thing has just exploded ... good explanation merve

Kudos ...
Old 7th May 2007, 11:20   #54
BHPian

As it turns out the DVD recorder was perfectly fine ..
it is a sony dru 510 Something.... write to only -r media... i had abt 50 dvd's and once i ran out i went to nehru place picked up a spindle of 10 Moser Baer 1r media .. the recorder would constantly error out on recording but play cd's / dvd's and burn dvd's so i tried with 1 sony -r media and it worked fine ... WTH ... what kind of issue is this .. i was tld some sony recorders only burn to sony media and nothing else ... is this true ? anyone else experience this ?
Old 7th May 2007, 11:29   #55
BHPian

Did you try a Firmware update with Sony, Could be some Specific issue corrected in updated firmware
Old 7th May 2007, 12:21   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
Did you try a Firmware update with Sony, Could be some Specific issue corrected in updated firmware
bnope but will try that today
in the meantime any one from delhi want 8 Moser baer -r DVD's
sticker price 350 for a spindle of 10 ... make an offer
Old 20th January 2009, 14:17   #57
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I am looking for a software that can convert .avi files into dvd format. I have movies with .avi extension and would like to burn them on a dvd so that i release space on my hard disk drive. Thanks for all your help in advance.
Old 9th March 2009, 16:29   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhusati View Post
Hi Guys,
I am looking for a software that can convert .avi files into dvd format. I have movies with .avi extension and would like to burn them on a dvd so that i release space on my hard disk drive. Thanks for all your help in advance.
You can use Nero or VSO ConvertX to DVD. Check out mininova.org but do read the Comments before you download (for example, Nero 9 is creating problems....)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks