Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2021, 14:20   #1
BHPian

How do some websites offer free downloads of MS Office?

I was surprised to find a website called "Get Into Pc", which offers free download of almost all popular software including MS Office software. Let us have a discussion, opinion and your views on
1. How safe is it to download free soft ware from Get Into Pc
2. Is it legal to do so in India
3. Why does this website offer free downloads, what benefits' it gets
envyravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 14:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: How do some websites offer free downloads of MS Office?

Quote:
Originally Posted by envyravi View Post
I was surprised to find a website called "Get Into Pc", which offers free download of almost all popular software including MS Office software. Let us have a discussion, opinion and your views on
Obviously illegal. Stay away from such websites. They'll put ransomware on your pc and lock you out of your own machine. Then they will ask for bitcoins to unlock your PC.

Also piracy related discussions are forbidden in this forum. Please do not ask anything regarding piracy.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 27th April 2021 at 14:55.
reignofchaos is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 15:59   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There is nothing called a free lunch.
If someone is providing anything for free (except advice) be prepared for the worst.
Mr.Boss is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 16:26   #4
BHPian

Quote:
If it is a pirated version of a paid software then there cannot be any guarantees that it is safe.

Quote:
It is illegal.

Most individual users aren't caught since it isn't worth the company's time. The software companies go after the big fish (for now) like training institutes and companies that use pirated software on a day-to-day basis.

Quote:
The words 'free software' gets them traffic. Once you have a substantial amount of traffic, you can generate a decent amount of ad revenue, put out sponsored content, etc.
JoeTheWanderer is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 20:25   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There are often open source alternatives to paid softwares. You could potentially use the Office online, which is free or use https://www.libreoffice.org offline.

Please pick "open source" instead of "free".

High chance the free software is actually a ransomware, malware etc.

Specifically for 3 - you may not get free software but they are getting free money!. Even if they are able to con (ransomware) a handleful of people each month, it pays them handsomely.
Dry Ice is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 21:20   #6

Quote:
I was surprised to find a website called "Get Into Pc", which offers free download of almost all popular software including MS Office software. Let us have a discussion, opinion, and your views on
1. How safe is it to download free software from Get Into Pc
Hello there, I've also heard about this site. Obviously Free = a trap.
If you have anything important on your PC, Don't download from such sites. If there is nothing that actually concerns you, Download from that site. But have a backup of your files for safety on a hard drive or cloud, So you could format the PC if something goes wrong.

Personally, I would stay away from such sites. Only a few sites provide free software without any catch, But they are really rare to find. I know a few, But not sure if they are really safe.
Soorya Ramesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 08:04   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: How do some websites offer free downloads of MS Office?

Stay away from pirated stuff, bud. You are asking for trouble. And due to competition, software is so well-priced today that there is no need to even consider pirated software (similar to how free streaming and legit song downloads for 8 bucks killed music piracy). I just bought a Windows 10 key from Amazon for <3000 bucks. Really can't get cheaper than that for a full blown OS.

If you don't want to spend on MS Office, use Google Docs. Works beautifully in the browser and is compatible with MS Word, Excel etc. files. Power users though will see some inconsistences (e.g. formatting changes) and are better off buying a licence (just 2.2k on Amazon).
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 08:29   #8
Team-BHP Support

There is something more to "Get into PC" than meets the eye. I suspect these are beta versions of software that were given away for free for testing (eg: via Microsoft Developer Network). Because:

1) Google will never approve a website that hosts illegal content for their advertising solutions. But this website is hosting Adsense ads:

How do some websites offer free downloads of MS Office?-screenshot_1.jpg

2) "Get into PC" has their own 'Report Abuse' and DMCA complaints page:
https://getintopc.com/dmca/

How do some websites offer free downloads of MS Office?-screenshot_2.jpg

3) Pirated website will always have ads for 'software' that installs malware on your computer (Eg: speed up your computer, speed up your internet type etc). But this website is surprisingly clean.

Last edited by SmartCat : 28th April 2021 at 08:54.
SmartCat is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 08:44   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
There is something more to "Get into PC" than meets the eye. I suspect these are beta versions of software that were given away for free for testing (eg: via Microsoft Developer Network). Because:
1) Google will never approve a website that hosts illegal content for their advertising solutions. But this website is hosting Adsense ads:
It could very well be that both parties are exploiting some grey area here. The illegal content (cracked software with digital controlling rights removed) is often on some third party server that is moving around in some lawless country. While the website making money off of ads is only hosting user submitted links to questionable product. Why would Microsoft or Adobe go through all these hoops to provide Beta versions, while they have such a strong army of fans in their developer network?
Also, Google has abandoned their "Don't be evil" long ago. They happily play ads on Youtube for obviously copyrighted content like highlights and countdowns of sporting events. These users making paltry earnings with these video edits and copyright owners are constantly playing whack-a-mole, and Google seems to be happily cashing ad revenue (till copyright is claimed).

PS: Just stating my opinion, I do not have any competency in legal matters corresponding to copyrights and licensing.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 28th April 2021 at 08:52.
GutsyGibbon is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 00:09   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post

Attachment 2149827

2) "Get into PC" has their own 'Report Abuse' and DMCA complaints page:
https://getintopc.com/dmca/

Attachment 2149828

3) Pirated website will always have ads for 'software' that installs malware on your computer (Eg: speed up your computer, speed up your internet type etc). But this website is surprisingly clean.
I looked some more into it.

Looks like it uses self hosted WordPress. Pay attention to the image urls - classic WordPress format.

How do some websites offer free downloads of MS Office?-getintopc.jpg

The theme in use? "Mystique" https://wordpress.org/themes/mystique/. This theme was last updated in 2012 (10 years back?).

The domain resolves to an IP which is hosted in Ukraine.

I wouldn't trust *any* software from a site with these properties irrespective of their DMCA page, AdSense etc.

How do some websites offer free downloads of MS Office?-dns.jpg

How do some websites offer free downloads of MS Office?-iploc.jpg
Dry Ice is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 00:38   #11
BHPian

I downloaded trackers with excel for my Mac, Now I don't know how to get rid of them, still trying to find solutions
after going to this thread I also saw some links for Mac (lifetime) why these are. not available on Microsoft website, as they are offering only subscriptions
any other source to use excel on Mac?
Old 1st May 2021, 01:09   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4_attitude View Post
any other source to use excel on Mac?
You can also use onedrive.live.com. The only catch is it is online and the files would be saved on Microsoft's server. Although, you can download a copy in your mac. Works just like regular office.
Old 1st May 2021, 08:45   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
You can also use onedrive.live.com. The only catch is it is online and the files would be saved on Microsoft's server. Although, you can download a copy in your mac. Works just like regular office.
It is regular office!
it is part of the office / MS subscription, bundled software for single user, multiple machines. You log in to the MS onedrive website, then download whatever you need from the office suite. around $5-10 per user per month for a corporate license, cheaper for home licenses (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/micr...=tab:primaryr1). We are using this service for the last couple of years and it is simple and integrated.
Old 1st May 2021, 11:18   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Stay away from pirated stuff, bud.
=====
(e.g. formatting changes) and are better off buying a licence (just 2.2k on Amazon).
Hi GTO why did you spend <3000 on windows 10 key when Microsoft is offering it for free? I upgraded my windows 7 to windows 10 for free with their Windows Media Creation tool

Attaching screenshot of steps for reference
Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tec...-away-for-free
Attached Thumbnails
How do some websites offer free downloads of MS Office?-77d782a729a54fc196f80da8f4a97e70.png  

MayurS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 11:32   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Stay away from pirated stuff, bud. You are asking for trouble. And due to competition, software is so well-priced today that there is no need to even consider pirated software (similar to how free streaming and legit song downloads for 8 bucks killed music piracy). I just bought a Windows 10 key from Amazon for <3000 bucks. Really can't get cheaper than that for a full blown OS.

If you don't want to spend on MS Office, use Google Docs. Works beautifully in the browser and is compatible with MS Word, Excel etc. files. Power users though will see some inconsistences (e.g. formatting changes) and are better off buying a licence (just 2.2k on Amazon).
I still have a doubt on the deep discounted prices offered for MS office on Amazon vs the prices offered at the direct Microsoft online stores. I am still purchasing from direct Microsoft websites and not from Amazon for the fear of buying pirated keys. I want to know if I am unwantedly spending more?

Most Viewed