Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2021, 22:11   #31
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Re: The Windows 11 Thread

Sorry if I am a bit late to the thread. I've actually been running the 22000.51 build from saturday, ever since I figured out how to enable fTPM (I'm running AMD).

Initial Test Drive impressions:

-Really slick compared to W10. New animations at a lot of places, especially minimizing/maximizing open windows
-Rounded design is a welcome change
-Noticeable improvement in performance. MS Explorer is way ahead of the curve this time. My game folder is more than 1TB and loads up quite nicely. Screenshot folder with 2000+ shots and game footage is no slouch either
-There are bugs with widgets but who the hell even uses that crap anyway? (I could be dead wrong about this but meh)
-So far only 4 people in my close circle are running the 22000.51 build and we have noticed similar trends (speed increase and bugs that are not relevant to our daily usage)
-Sometimes you have to right-click twice
-The Vista/7-esque push for Aero Glass design is really being liked by me and friends. Back in Class 8th (2007), I was pushing dad really hard for Vista and a DirectX 10 card. The emphasis on glass elements brings back memories
-YouTube seems way faster in all aspects. Videos start instantly, even in 4k. No lag, no stutters
-Game compatibility is on the same page as W10 i.e. What ran will still run and what didn't will not (sorry 90's and 00's lot, we will have to run XP on VM). Though there is an issue with Mass Effect 3 LE. When you are not trying to kill something and are casually walking around, mouse camera stutters in some directions. This was not the case with W10

Overall, decent job by Micro$oft but I wish the TPM requirement was not enforced so harshly. Here are some screenshots:

Absolutely slick experience

The Windows 11 Thread-screenshot-515.png

Start Menu is not what I expected but will do okay in due time

The Windows 11 Thread-screenshot-554.png

Colorful Icons and a new top bar. Don't fix what's not broken

The Windows 11 Thread-screenshot-556.png

Not much of a difference in terms of memory usage though system seems faster. Quite a bit faster

The Windows 11 Thread-screenshot-563.png

YouTube runs way better than before but that could be subjective. Also, being overrun by Ochikobore, Pets and BMWs

The Windows 11 Thread-screenshot-565.png

Minimize/Maximize now has six usage-based size and alignment pattern. This is a very nice feature and I'm sure many will love it

The Windows 11 Thread-screenshot-568.png

Desktop Spaces. I first saw the concept of multiple desktop spaces back in 2003 on Red Hat Linux

The Windows 11 Thread-screenshot-559.png

A clean desktop

Attachment 2175262

However, there is a big gripe that we have against it. Too much focus on being mobile and portable. They are trying to make windows like a smartphone OS. Me and my mates are vehemently in opposition to this design principle. That's the reason I have not touched Store or those android apps (sideloaded through Amazon store) so far and frankly do not care if this features makes it's cut in the final release/release candidate or dies trying.

Cheers

Last edited by vredesbyrd : 5th July 2021 at 22:25. Reason: Typos and stuff
vredesbyrd is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks