Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2021, 14:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Windows 11 Thread

Quote:
Among the novelties is the revised settings menu with a persistent navigation bar on left side (so you finally don't get lost in a heap of menus), an updated File Explorer, the new look, featuring four new themes - Glow, Captured Motion, Sunrise and Flow, along with new sounds.

The redesigned Notification Center and Quick Settings can be quickly accessed through Win + N and Win + A, respectively.
The Windows 11 Thread-windows-11-1-1.jpeg

Quote:
The new Snap Groups and Snap Layouts are part of the Insider Preview - hover over a window's maximize button to see available layouts. Snap groups lets you snap together groups of windows and later quickly jump to them.
The Windows 11 Thread-windows-11-1-2.jpeg

Quote:
Microsoft also gives insiders a first look at Microsoft Office, designed for Windows 11 with clipped window corners. There's also a new 64-bit Office for ARM users to test.
Source: GSMArena

Quote:
The first Windows 11 Insider Preview (build 22000.51) carries most of the features that Microsoft showcased at the Windows event last week. These include all-new Start menu and taskbar that now sit in the centre of the display and come with new animation effects, enhanced Notification Centre and Quick Settings, and new themes. The Windows 11 preview also includes the new sounds including the new startup sound that will refresh your experience. Further, there is an updated File Explorer that will show context menus when right-clicking on the screen.
The Windows 11 Thread-windows-11-2-1.jpg

Quote:
Microsoft has also provided widgets that you can look at by clicking on the dedicated Widgets icon in the taskbar. You can also swipe from the left using the touch bar/ display or hitting Win + W on the keyboard to access the widgets. There are, by default, widgets for calendar, weather, local traffic, Microsoft To Do lists, OneDrive photos, sports and esports, stock watchlist, and tips. The widgets section also includes a news feed section to show personalised news content.
The Windows 11 Thread-windows-11-2-2.jpg

Quote:
In terms of specific hardware-focussed changes, the first Windows 11 Insider Preview build brings a new docking experience for users working on multiple monitors. There are also features including dynamic refresh rate and display improvements such as Auto HDR support. For machines that have an accelerometer, the Windows 11 lock screen also has a parallax motion effect.

The Windows 11 preview has gets touch keyboard personalisations, voice typing launcher, improved gesture controls, pen menu for stylus inputs, and an updated input switcher.
Source

Read more about all the new features offered in Windows 11 in Microsoft's blog post.
ChiragM is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 15:13   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Windows 11 Thread

What is a bummer is that it supports only 8th gen and above Intel processor. My 7th generation i7 processor is not compatible. This is pretty ridiculous and hopefully this is limited to Insider program and final release covers broader spectrum of supported processors.

This again can be a marketing ploy though along with Intel to be able to push more Intel processors with the launch.
AtheK is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 15:51   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
What is a bummer is that it supports only 8th gen and above Intel processor. My 7th generation i7 processor is not compatible.
So my 3rd generation core i7 machine which happily runs like new is not supported either... I bought it in 2013, and it runs on Win10. Well, I can turn it into a linux server eventually.

The Win10 took a year after release to be safely used as a development machine. I suspect same will be the case here. I don't have to upgrade until 2023.
Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 16:07   #4
BHPian

Quote:
What is a bummer is that it supports only 8th gen and above Intel processor.
Going the Apple way I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
So my 3rd generation core i7 machine which happily runs like new is not supported either
Same is the case with me, my i7 3rd gen laptop and i7 4th gen desktop still works like charm will have to be upgraded.

Personally I feel these machines will be able to work on W11 in a couple of months after some patching, as both my machines supports TPM/secure boot. Unless some new cpu registers are being used there is no point in not supporting the old hardware.

Keeping my fingers crossed
kozhissery is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 16:09   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Statutory Warning: If you are a techie below 39 years of age and on Team BHP this post ay irritate you.

Windows continues to have a zillion features most ordinary non-techie folks like me, the majority I assume, do not know of or understand or need. What Microsoft does not do, but should, is to have a Windows Lite version which ordinary souls can fully grasp and is user friendly from a lay users point of view and not just a techies point of view. Windows continues to get more & more complex. Even the help function is a struggle to use often times. Look at our beloved automobile industry. It makes cars for non-engineers, non-enthusiasts to be able to use skillfully and easily. That is what customer orientation is. Or look at Smart Phones which even an 85-year old grandmother can master by and large. Windows, in my humble opinion, remains a customer unfriendly product simply because it tries to be everything to everyone and doesn't come with a simple enough instruction booklet. Rant over.

Signed/-

A Windows user since c.1990.
V.Narayan is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 16:19   #6
BHPian

Personally, I feel this should have been a Windows 10 21H1 update rather than a full new Windows 11 naming as there is not a huge change in the OS apart from a few changes (the Start which I almost got adjusted to, gets a revamp, again) and running Android apps (their tie-up with Amazon store reminds me of the last days of BB OS 10 devices I used). Maybe someone from Tata inspired them to do a last moment Gravitas-Safari.
Quote:
What is a bummer is that it supports only 8th gen and above Intel processor. My 7th generation i7 processor is not compatible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
So my 3rd generation core i7 machine which happily runs like new is not supported either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
Same is the case with me, my i7 3rd gen laptop and i7 4th gen desktop still works like charm will have to be upgraded.
Officially, it does seem to be the statement from Microsoft, but I did successfully install the insider preview yesterday in a 4th generation i3 (4000m) laptop, with no hiccups. Another Pentium 4405 (6th generation equivalent) is running on the leaked preview from last week which was updated to the insider preview when it was pushed. Both systems have been running fine. But I had read in their site that during the future updates, incompatible devices may not support future insider or final releases.
The Windows 11 Thread-hardwarechannels6_24final.png
Personally for me, its Windows Phone 8.1 to 10 upgrade and resulting death of the OS, all over again (have a Lumia 1020 stuck on 10 preview). One would expect them to learn from their mistakes, but apparently it does not seem so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
If you are a techie below 39 years of age and on Team BHP this post ay irritate you...What Microsoft does not do, but should, is to have a Windows Lite version which ordinary souls can fully grasp and is user friendly from a lay users point of view and not just a techies point of view.
On a lighter note, maybe Microsoft wants people in the middle ages and older to not grab their devices and OSes, but venture out and enjoy the nature without tech (once this pandemic ends) as they have the opportunity and stability, unlike youngsters.

Last edited by Researcher : 1st July 2021 at 16:34. Reason: Added a pic
Researcher is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 16:24   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Statutory Warning:
Signed/-

Long time frustrated user of Windows

I too have been using Windows since 1993. I still rate Windows XP as MS best ever OS. I have created a kind of All-In-All CDs with Windows XP that can be used to make a bare-bone system fully functional. Off late Windows has become too bloated and just eating up chunks of HDD space. MS would never release a Lite version - the only way to achieve this is to debloat Windows which requires tech skills.

Last edited by navin : 2nd July 2021 at 13:12. Reason: typo
livelyyoungman is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 18:22   #8
BHPian

Have been a windows user since late 90s and i must agree to what Narayan said. Of the tons of feature Windows have, i probably use about 10 - 15% of it. Safe to say that i am a Powerless user who uses it to make more Powerpoints and I do Excel in it

It would have been great to have a lite version which could be ported across platforms/ecosystems. Unfortunately you dont get that. I remember Windows coming up with the Windows Mobile OS which was brilliant for a business user. Unfortunately they could not cash into the larger environment of developers and it sadly faded.

To date, XP is probably one of the best OS for a generic user like me. I have Windows 10 on my office machine and of the 128gb of space, it gives me only about 30gb to work with. The rest is unknown to a layman like me.

I did use Mac, but after working on Office in a Windows environment, Office in a Mac is tough to learn
subraiyr is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 18:28   #9
BHPian

I don't see much Wow in this update as much as the transition from Win7->Win10 was(Let's forget Win8), I may or may not get this update. Hopefully they don't shove it down our throats as they did with Win10. Also the compatiblity issues are worrying, my Desktop is recently built and hence would be fine, but my Laptop's fate remains uncertain. Although I admit the Snap Layouts and GPU-Storage technology, DirectStorage is appealing.

Last edited by Sheel : 2nd July 2021 at 11:14. Reason: As requested.
superguy282 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 18:49   #10
BHPian

There is always the need vs want theory. Off late MS is satisfying its needs rather than the wants of its users. Added the Windows 11 update/upgrade has beefed up its HW requirements quite significantly especially the processor lineup. Intel 8th Gen and above is what is supported. I do have a desktop with Intel 6th Gen i5 processor and for all practical needs this setup is more than sufficient. MS might have their own reasons, but from a customer perspective this is definitely disdainful.
livelyyoungman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 18:54   #11
Team-BHP Support

I haven't had the chance to look into this too deeply, but:

1) When the most talked about change is "rounded corners!" -- it seems like an update that is mostly hot air.

2) Android support!!! Holy hell, this is huge, especially for those who have tablet or touchscreen/2-in-1 devices. I'm amazed this isn't being talked about more.

The downside is of course that you can only load up via the Amazon Store, but I'm sure side-loading will be quite easy.

Another interesting change which has gone mostly unnoticed is that they are now trying to make the Windows Store about ALL programs (and integrate payments via it, whilst taking no cut).

So instead of say, going to adobe.com to download photoshop - you could do it via the Windows Store.

Let's see how developers and companies take to this...
Rehaan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 20:23   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

The announcement video reminded me of Vista!

Following XP, Vista tried to move to a more 3D-esque design with use of reflections, animations, etc on windows and icons. Atleast on the face of it, 11 seems to give off similar vibes.
Dry Ice is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 08:24   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Statutory Warning: If you are a techie below 39 years of age and on Team BHP this post ay irritate you.

Windows continues to have a zillion features most ordinary non-techie folks like me, the majority I assume, do not know of or understand or need. What Microsoft does not do, but should, is to have a Windows Lite version which ordinary souls can fully grasp and is user friendly from a lay users point of view and not just a techies point of view...everything to everyone and doesn't come with a simple enough instruction booklet. Rant over.

Signed/-

Well Windows does have a Lite version called Windows S - I wouldn't be surprised if they start going the Apple way starting next year to market Consumer and Pro versions more actively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

2) Android support!!! Holy hell, this is huge, especially for those who have tablet or touchscreen/2-in-1 devices. I'm amazed this isn't being talked about more.

oh yes, new Android app compatibility could be a game changer and bring parity with the Appstore ecosystem. The Android tablet market is practically dead - this might enable longevity of use and the prevalence of Windows touch screen laptops could see this Android tablets more mainstream
Karthik_S is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 08:28   #14
BHPian

In my opinion, there is only one WOW factor in the Windows 11 update.
I use a secondary monitor for both my work & personal laptop and I have always found it irritating whenever I disconnect it. I take some time to rearrange my open windows to the original config. Giving the option to go back to the original window config is very much a feature I always wanted.
mnram is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 08:47   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

With the kind of mass usage that Windows has, incremental upgrades are the only way to go . No one likes drastically changed UIs of something we're familiar with and who spends time on the OS anyway. More likely, 99% of your time is spent in your browser, MS Office and other personal / business software. All I want from Windows is stability, a clean interface (like Windows 10), speed and smoother updates (no sudden restarting please).

Am typing this from a dual-boot Mac and let me tell you that MacOS is grossly overrated. After spending 1 year on MacOS <-> Windows, I much prefer Windows 10. It is way more user-friendly & intuitive to use.
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks