Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2007, 01:16   #1
BHPian

Best way to edit ID3 tags of mp3

I hate to admit but I have a rather large collection of downloaded mp3 (Not my fault, they sell Audio CDs at very high price). Now the downloaded mp3 have advertisements of their sites in comments/ artist etc space of ID3 tags. I have this Pio HU which displays various info about the song being played. And I want that info to be correct, so I am editing tags if all mp3 in my hdd. More so my creative mo3 player sort out songs according to various criteria of artists , genre etc. So enjoying it depends lots how much correct is the info of songs.

Now to real point. Which is the best method to change the information of ID3 tags ?

Thanks
Old 27th June 2007, 01:39   #2
Team-BHP Support

try MP3-Info Extension. it's freeware. google it and you'll find the link to their ".de" site.

i've been using this for a few years now. very easy to use and let's you edit information in bulk.

the first time you edit a MP3 file, you have to check the Comments tab as it may show up as garbled text. but this problem is solved on deleting the garbled text.
Old 27th June 2007, 04:57   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by austere_sly View Post
I hate to admit but I have a rather large collection of downloaded mp3 (Not my fault, they sell Audio CDs at very high price).
The artists work very hard for getting this music out. I think they deserve something for their hard work. After all, we would not work without a salary would we? At least buy the ones you really like

OK. Sorry about that. Now back to your topic. Have you tried FixTunes?

It is fairly accurate. And it splits your song into unidentified and identified categories, so that you can manually edit some songs.
Old 27th June 2007, 08:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Locate the file for which you want to edit the tag information. Right Click on it and select Properties. In the properties window go to the Details Tab. Any info you input here will be saved in the tags.
Old 27th June 2007, 09:10   #5
BHPian

Tag and Rename (20 chars)
Old 27th June 2007, 09:27   #6
BHPian

i second kalpeshc with tag and rename...lemme try out Mp3 extension..if you have a collection of say 100-200 GB's..u would still need lotsa time !
Old 27th June 2007, 09:55   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I hate to admit but I have a rather large collection of downloaded mp3 (Not my fault, they sell Audio CDs at very high price).
While others have addressed your real question I would request you not to download unofficial copies. TBHP does NOT condone, promote or support this activity.

Maybe record companies charge a lot for a CD. The costs are ammoritised over a lotof expenses.

1. About 1 in every 100 artists published makes a record that breaks even. Fewer make a platinum record.

2. promoting the one artist that does "break out" is an expensive process (in money and time) fraught with big risk; which is why record comapnies tie up with other agencies for this.

So your purchase of that CD pays for all the startvig artists who are trying to make it.

As per the 10Ks filed by Warner Bros. (owner of Atlantic and Rhino records amongst others) they made a loss of $11 million on sales of 1.4 billion. Granted this is the entire WMG combined but if their record/album publishing business was so profitable atleast they should have been able to break even?

Compared to this the company most people love to hate (but still pay licence fees to) had a profit of 14 billion on a sales of about 50 billion.
Old 27th June 2007, 10:07   #8
BHPian

also navinji..
if you dont buy their CD's and download MP3's..whr would you get the lossless collections from
Old 27th June 2007, 11:49   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.kiran View Post
The artists work very hard for getting this music out. I think they deserve something for their hard work. After all, we would not work without a salary would we? At least buy the ones you really like
I know it wrong what I do. But I failed to understand why the CDs of a particular album are priced at Rs 175 whereas its comparative Tape is priced at Rs 75. The cost of a single Writable CD of moserbaer in a pack of 100 comes around Rs 7. I am sure Record Labels gets them for lot less. Around a decade ago I can understand that cost of CD was more, but now pricing them so high is not graspable. The only reason I can think of is that record label pay more royalties for CD than tapes.

I think pricing of CD is the main reason for their losses. If they can get it to more reasonable figures then the higher number of sales will compensate for lower price.

Also when I like only a 3-4 tracks in particular album, why should I pay for whole album. After some time when I start working, and have a credit card, I will buy music online.
Old 27th June 2007, 12:15   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
As per the 10Ks filed by Warner Bros. (owner of Atlantic and Rhino records amongst others) they made a loss of $11 million on sales of 1.4 billion. Granted this is the entire WMG combined but if their record/album publishing business was so profitable atleast they should have been able to break even?

Compared to this the company most people love to hate (but still pay licence fees to) had a profit of 14 billion on a sales of about 50 billion.
Now that you have replied Navinji, you will have to expalin what is 10Ks, WMG ?

Is the company reaping profits by chance Microsoft. In their case also they have priced software so highly. Unless a person is from corporate ( which can get sued for using pirated version ) whos gonna buy a Rs 11500 Win XP pro when the same can be had for less than 100 buck from Palika Bazaar or Nehru Place in Delhi. Don't know what its equivalent in Mumbai.

Shouldn't the record labels like warner bros. take example from online music stores like apple's itunes , Rhapsody, Napster and etc who are reaping profits (Don't know in figures).
Old 27th June 2007, 12:32   #11
Team-BHP Support

I use ITunes.
1. For songname, you have to do 1 by one.
2. If you have 10 songs from same album, select all ten, right click and change the album name
3. Ditto for artists
4. For comments, select all and then fill the comment field with "blank"
Done.
Old 27th June 2007, 13:20   #12
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Pricing of the CD..hmm..
Recently saw an Ad by Mosabear....RS 28 for VCD and RS 34 for DVD..
How come it is possible that they have started selling CD's at the same rate that those roadwala's give..

I think only few movies are available at that rate,,
But if they can produce Audio CD's Specially in Mp3 format..I think they can beat this Piracy thing..
Old 27th June 2007, 15:35   #13
Senior - BHPian

I normally do it by editing the file properties which can be opened by right clicking a single or a multiple selected file.
Old 27th June 2007, 16:48   #14
BHPian

LBM bhai..this is exactly what I have been doing till now for indivisual files. But since now I have taken the task to edit info of some thousand files, this method feel very primitive and I was on the lookout for more sophisticated software which would make my task easy. Each time right clicking is very tedious.
Old 27th June 2007, 16:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
LBM bhai..this is exactly what I have been doing till now for indivisual files. But since now I have taken the task to edit info of some thousand files, this method feel very primitive and I was on the lookout for more sophisticated software which would make my task easy. Each time right clicking is very tedious.

What I do is press the shift key and use the down key to select the files and rename them to the require name..or sometimes I use Itunes for this also.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks