Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2009, 09:23   #16
BHPian

Thanks merve_extreme. Let me check what you have suggested and I'll get back with pictures.
Old 10th July 2009, 10:09   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvedup View Post
The problem is that whenever I connect the two monitors to the card and set it up only the primary monitor runs properly and has all the icons on it ,but the secondary one does not display properly the image seems to be zoomed moreover I do not get any icons on it.I am running the latest version of the nvidia drivers 94.24.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Which scheme do you run? Clone? Parallel? Extension?
Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme View Post
then use Dual View mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme View Post
keep both the displays at same resolution.see if it works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
Thanks merve_extreme. Let me check what you have suggested and I'll get back with pictures.
I am an absolute zero when it comes to computers but my IT guys have also set me up with 2 monitors. The card is some thing from ATI (exact model can be got but I have to ask the IT guys - does 4870 seem correct?). The OS is Vista Ultimate 64. No 3rd party software was used. The Monitors are big but cheap (read as low resolution) Acer AL2623W. I get to use one monitor for some applications and the other for others but I also get AutoCad to display the drawing on one monitor and the tool boxes on the other.

Based on this experience this is what I have learnt.
1. In Dual Mode both monitors must be the same resolution
2. if you want icons on both monitors then you have to use clone/parallel mode(s).

BTW this system is quite old so it is as outdated as I am dont laugh.
Old 27th July 2009, 09:29   #18
BHPian

Merve,

Here are the pictures you asked for.

I have an old P4 1.7Ghz. Please do let me know if there is an external solution available if my mother board does not support the graphics card. I had a visit to SP road in Bangalore (where most computer related goods can be found) and most of them had no clue what I was talking about. I have already spent almost 400 bucks on a cable that splits the output to two monitors. As you have explained, it is not what I want. One shop said I could use a PCI VGA card... but I was a little vary as it had only one of those 'blue' connectors and not two. Do let me know if you need any other information. What I use in the office for extending the laptop on to another monitor is an ATEN KVM switch. Of course, the folks I've inquired with have not heard of this :(
Old 19th December 2009, 08:02   #19
BHPian

I've upgraded the system to a 2.8Ghz duo core... still haven't figured out the dual monitor - extended desktop setup. HELP!
Old 19th December 2009, 08:32   #20
BHPian

Quote:
I've upgraded the system to a 2.8Ghz duo core... still haven't figured out the dual monitor - extended desktop setup. HELP!
If you are on XP , here is how you do it. If not should be similar just figure it out

control panel > Display > Settings [tab] > Advanced > Graphics Media Accelerator Driver... [Top Tab] > Graphics Properties > Display Devices >
Click Radio Multiple Display
Select which monitor is the Primary Device[List box]
Select which monitor is the Secondary Device[List box]

Note : Extended desktop means you will have 2 screens having independent windows displays.
After you have done the above you need to set the physical location of the 2 monitor the way they actually are sitting on your table. (So that when you drag a window from one monitor to the other it knows where it can float the window and where it cannot).
to do this go to
control panel > Display > Settings [tab] >
Drag and drop the monitor 2 to match the physical location around monitor 1

Last edited by Fillmore : 19th December 2009 at 08:37.
Old 19th December 2009, 08:58   #21
BHPian

OK... I have two monitors... how do i connect them to a single CPU?
I can navigate till Display Devices - but it says two displays must be connected to the computer before you can use this feature.
Old 19th December 2009, 09:20   #22
BHPian

Quote:
OK... I have two monitors... how do i connect them to a single CPU?
I can navigate till Display Devices - but it says two displays must be connected to the computer before you can use this feature.
Ok , so you do not have a laptop as the primary display.

Get something like this for one of the monitors and connect via USB
Old 19th December 2009, 16:11   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
which mobo did you upgrade to?

are you using a dedicated graphics card??
Old 19th December 2009, 23:52   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
which mobo did you upgrade to?

are you using a dedicated graphics card??
The motherboard is an Asus. The graphics card is integrated with the motherboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Ok , so you do not have a laptop as the primary display.

Get something like this for one of the monitors and connect via USB
Wow. Thanks! Any idea how much they cost?

Last edited by triedeverything : 19th December 2009 at 23:54.
Old 20th December 2009, 01:34   #25
Senior - BHPian

you want to span your desktop or just clone it.??
Old 20th December 2009, 08:18   #26
BHPian

Quote:
you want to span your desktop or just clone it.??
I want to span it. My wife works from home. I have a 2 year old who also thinks she is working from home. 1 monitor for each of them will ensure there is peace at home.
Old 20th December 2009, 14:09   #27
Senior - BHPian

you need a graphics card. now they are very cheap. some is available as low as 1200/-

Still i am confused as to what you want to accomplish. Even if you have two monitor only one can work on PC.

If you want twol person to work with single PC independently you will need a PC sharing device.
Old 20th December 2009, 14:41   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Have you upgraded only the processor or both cpu+motherboard ?

Does your motherboard have 1 VGA output(the blue female connector ) connector from the back ?

I think I understand what you are trying to accomplish, you are trying to extend your desktop to the second monitor, your wife will work on the primary monitor and you can play a video or something for your kid on your second monitor.

For this you will need to install a additional video card which has dual output, most of the videon cards have 1 DVI output and 1 VGA output.

Something like this

MSI Global ? Computer, Laptop, Notebook, Desktop, Mainboard, Graphics and more

Help in dual monitor setup-rx2400protd256eh.jpg

This card has two outputs, one VGA(blue-analog) and 1 DVI(white/yellow-digital). So you would need to connect one monitor to one port and the second monitor to the second port. You would also need to invest in a DVI to DVI cable or DVI to VGA adapter.
Old 23rd December 2009, 22:18   #29
BHPian

Quote:
you need a graphics card. now they are very cheap. some is available as low as 1200/-

Still i am confused as to what you want to accomplish. Even if you have two monitor only one can work on PC.

If you want twol person to work with single PC independently you will need a PC sharing device.
To clarify, my daughter just wants youtube up - This needs to be spanned out to the second monitor. My wife will handle the keyboard and mouse and could continue working on the first monitor without having to juggle, resize windows and of course face the little one's wrath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakensoul View Post

Does your motherboard have 1 VGA output(the blue female connector ) connector from the back .
I've upgrade cpu + motherboard. The motherboard has only 1 VGA output as shown in the picture.

So how is this card specified? So a USB to VGA cable will not work? Will this lead to the same output on both monitors?

Last edited by triedeverything : 23rd December 2009 at 22:25.
Old 23rd December 2009, 22:23   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakensoul View Post

Does your motherboard have 1 VGA output(the blue female connector ) connector from the back .
I've upgrade cpu + motherboard. The motherboard has only 1 VGA output as shown in the picture.

So how is this card specified? So a USB to VGA cable will not work? Will this lead to the same output on both monitors?

Mods, I'm sorry about the double post... multipost slipped my mind. If there is some way to delete this - please do so.

Last edited by triedeverything : 23rd December 2009 at 22:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks