Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2007, 22:07   #1
BHPian

Help in dual monitor setup

I have a nvidia 6200 graphics card (256 mb 64 bit) with vga and dvi outputs.Now at presnt it is running a 19 inch widesccreen@1400*900 resolution running via the dvi port,I also want to connect my old 15 inch running at 1024*768 via the vga port.The problem is that whenever I connect the two monitors to the card and set it up only the primary monitor runs properly and has all the icons on it ,but the secondary one does not display properly the image seems to be zoomed moreover I do not get any icons on it.I am running the latest version of the nvidia drivers 94.24.

Last edited by revvedup : 8th July 2007 at 22:14.
Old 8th July 2007, 22:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

all you have written is absolute correct it happens like this also. but there is a second option in which the same clone
Old 9th July 2007, 05:00   #3
BANNED

Some more details needed.

Which scheme do you run? Clone? Parallel? Extension?
Yes, I'm asking about the 2nd display. What is it figured as?

What is the main purpose You're looking at?
Old 9th July 2007, 12:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

you can run a dual monitor setup without any 3rd party software but check out ultramon.. its a pretty good app to configure multiple monitors, google for more info
Old 9th July 2007, 14:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvedup View Post
I have a nvidia 6200 graphics card (256 mb 64 bit) with vga and dvi outputs.Now at presnt it is running a 19 inch widesccreen@1400*900 resolution running via the dvi port,I also want to connect my old 15 inch running at 1024*768 via the vga port.The problem is that whenever I connect the two monitors to the card and set it up only the primary monitor runs properly and has all the icons on it ,but the secondary one does not display properly the image seems to be zoomed moreover I do not get any icons on it.I am running the latest version of the nvidia drivers 94.24.
your second monitor is in span mode.go to nvidia control pannel(display section-setup multiple displays) and set nview display mode as clone.
Old 9th July 2007, 23:12   #6
BHPian

I am not using it in clone mode since I don't want both of them to display the same image on both moinitors and want to run both of them as seperate monitors at seperate resolutions.
Old 9th July 2007, 23:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvedup View Post
I am not using it in clone mode since I don't want both of them to display the same image on both moinitors and want to run both of them as seperate monitors at seperate resolutions.
then choose the span mode...
Old 10th July 2007, 00:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
then choose the span mode...
span mode just stretches the main screen onto the 2nd monitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvedup
then use Dual View mode.
Old 10th July 2007, 00:17   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme View Post
span mode just stretches the main screen onto the 2nd monitor.

then use Dual View mode.
thats the problem I am running it in dual view mode but the start menu and icons display only on the primary but the second one does not have any of them.
Old 10th July 2007, 00:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

you dont get icons and start menu on second monitor in dual view.what you get is,if you enable the nview manager then you can open different applications on different monitors.like Movie on 2nd monitor and word on first one.

There is primary and secondary monitor right.only the primary monitor can have taskbar and icons.
Old 10th July 2007, 00:38   #11
BHPian

^^thanks got that
Any wallpaper which I set on the secondary desktop irrespective of resolution gets cut off from the all sides moreover when I open an application on one of the displays it gets opened on the other one ,can I not make some setting which allows me to open the window on the display on which the mouse cursor is located something in the nview settings.
Old 10th July 2007, 03:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

keep both the displays at same resolution.see if it works.

there are some overscan issues in clone mode.happened with my Tv too.works fine in clone mode.
Old 10th July 2007, 10:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme View Post
keep both the displays at same resolution.see if it works.

there are some overscan issues in clone mode.happened with my Tv too.works fine in clone mode.
if both the monitors are of same or having same resolution only then it can take both the same resolution..
Old 29th June 2009, 09:27   #14
BHPian

I'm trying to do something similar. Two monitors to one cpu but want to use the second one as an extended desktop. My wife works from home and my two year old also thinks she is working from home The problem is she wants to watch rhymes while my wife works! So long story short, I am unable to extend my desktop. I have a spliter that takes input from the cpu and connects it to two monitors. But I see the same thing on both! My laptop has no issues with extending the desktop on to another screen. On the PC, when I go into properties and settings, I don't see two screens. I searched on the net and someone told me to update my video drivers... The problem is that this is an old self assembled PC and I don't have a clue as to what is the make of the video card. Any advise would be appreciated
Old 6th July 2009, 10:50   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
I'm trying to do something similar. Two monitors to one cpu but want to use the second one as an extended desktop. My wife works from home and my two year old also thinks she is working from home The problem is she wants to watch rhymes while my wife works! So long story short, I am unable to extend my desktop. I have a spliter that takes input from the cpu and connects it to two monitors. But I see the same thing on both! My laptop has no issues with extending the desktop on to another screen. On the PC, when I go into properties and settings, I don't see two screens. I searched on the net and someone told me to update my video drivers... The problem is that this is an old self assembled PC and I don't have a clue as to what is the make of the video card. Any advise would be appreciated
See you are splitting the signal from a single source and then providing it to different screens.So regardless of any settings, you will get the same display on both the screens.

To actually accomplish what you set out to do in the first place you will need graphics card installed in your system that has Two VGA connectors(blue colored ones). You connect these to two different monitors and then do the settings in the graphics control panel to set the dual view mode which will enable your wife to work and your daughter to watch movies/rhymes at the same time.

How old is your system ? If you can get me a picture of the inside part of the cabinet and one of the rear side i can tell you exactly what to do.

Last edited by merve_extreme : 6th July 2009 at 11:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks