Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2007, 12:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Which TV tuner card?

The problem : I've got a huge collection of downloaded vids that are in ".avi" format. We've got 2 Philips DVD players but neither are divx compatible. I don't wanna invest in a new divx dvd player right now, since blue ray technology is just around the corner. Even converting all those vids into DVD isn't practical as i'd end up with more DVDs than i can handle.

The Sollution : So i thought, maybe if i could connect my PC to my TV, i wouldn't need a divx dvd player or have to convert all the files into DVD format. .

The Decision : Frankly speaking, i have no idea as to what TV tuner card does what. What makes should be looking at and are there any parameters which tell you which TTC is better than the other?

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 9th July 2007 at 12:41.
Old 9th July 2007, 12:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Shan, storing this collection in your HDD is a huge dead investment. Converting these to MPEG using a free avi-to-mpeg converter would be the best idea.

Since the above-said is not the solution you are looking for, I suggest you to take a look at Pinnacle, an Avid company; these are very good cards, and very well supported in India.
Welcome to Pinnacle India - Home video editing, watch TV, DVD authoring

However, be advised that a decent card may cost more than a avrg DVD player.
Old 9th July 2007, 12:57   #3
IMP
BHPian

A TV tuner won't solve your problem, a TV tuner lets you watch TV on your PC. Some models also let you do TV recording.

What you need is a Graphics card with TV out (composite or S-Video) this will let you to watch contents on your PC screen on your TV.

You may also wanna take a look at this. D-Link Building Networks for People..
It lets you to stream content from your PC to the TV wirelessly and it plays your DVD's too.
Old 9th July 2007, 13:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shan, storing this collection in your HDD is a huge dead investment. Converting these to MPEG using a free avi-to-mpeg converter would be the best idea.
Or what i can do is burn a data dvd with all files in avi format (takes less space compared to dvd format). Then i can play the dvds on my PC and watch them on TV.

Quote:
A TV tuner won't solve your problem, a TV tuner lets you watch TV on your PC. Some models also let you do TV recording.
Ok got it. So what i need is something like this? PC to TV Converter

Shan2nu
Old 9th July 2007, 13:04   #5
IMP
BHPian

Pinnacle is good, i have a tv tuner from pinnacle. Check it out Pinnacle Systems - Product summary - ShowCenter 200

It does not play CD's or DVD's though.
Old 9th July 2007, 13:09   #6
IMP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Ok got it. So what i need is something like this? PC to TV Converter
Shan2nu
Yes, this will do, but one needs to swap cables every time you want to see something on your tv. Check what graphics card you have. You might already have a composite out on your graphics card. This way you can connect the Monitor and the TV simultaneously.

Is your TV very near to the PC???
Old 9th July 2007, 13:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pinnacle is good, i have a tv tuner from pinnacle. Check it out Pinnacle Systems - Product summary - ShowCenter 200

It does not play CD's or DVD's though.
This is a bit high end for what i'm looking for. I just need a simple yet efficient converter that'l let me connect my PC to the TV (like the one in the link i've posted). All external devices like portable drives, digi cams, vid cams will be connected to my PC.

Shan2nu
Old 9th July 2007, 13:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, this will do, but one needs to swap cables every time you want to see something on your tv. Check what graphics card you have. You might already have a composite out on your graphics card. This way you can connect the Monitor and the TV simultaneously.

Is your TV very near to the PC???
Actually i don't mind using the TV all the time. I don't think my comp has anything since it's a 1998 model compaq pressario.

My PC is in another room right now but it can be shifted.

Shan2nu
Old 9th July 2007, 13:43   #9
IMP
BHPian

You could check whether your comp has an AGP port. a 4x AGP port will do. if it has a AGP port then get a entry level AGP graphics accelerator which has a tv out. If your comp does not have the AGP port, then get the PC to TV convertor. But keep in mind in this case, if you use your TV all the time, text and other fine objects such as icons on the screen are not displayed correctly on the TV (read unreadable). This is because the TV has a much lower resolution.
Old 9th July 2007, 13:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

Just get any PCI/PCI-E/AGP video card for 1000-1500 bux. Just make sure it has S-Video or composite out.
Old 9th July 2007, 14:03   #11
Team-BHP Support

1. As per your question you do not need a TV tuner card.
2. You need a TV out for your computer.
Now TV out options
1. New LCD TV, just the use monitor cable.
2. Slightly old TV? You need to use a S-Video cable,
3. Very old TV(With just AV in, no S-video in?)
Buy a S video to composite adaptor, hard to find though.
Old 9th July 2007, 14:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

i have the same problem rite now but its a little bit different. for my next DIY i wanted to make a car pc

so i have a touch screen in my car and it has the same three ports L and R audio and Vedio as in the T.V.

so to connect a pc to the screen in my car i need some kind of converter

i have asked a few people and the told me a shop where i can get this converter i am going to this place in the evening i will let you know if thier is any simple and cheap solution

till now i have found a converter its called serial to pol converter and its for 3500 bucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
thats what i am was talking about
if i find this i will let you know

Last edited by manikjeet : 9th July 2007 at 14:05.
Old 9th July 2007, 19:14   #13
BHPian

to The OP... what TV do you have does it have a PC input my plasma does and i have used a simple video cable(the pc kind) to connect my pc to the big scree
Old 9th July 2007, 19:40   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
shudn't be that dificult.

SVID2COMPFM - Google Product Search

one came with my laptop. i think DIY could also be done.
Old 24th January 2008, 11:44   #15
BHPian

I don't agree that Piannacle is good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
I suggest you to take a look at Pinnacle, an Avid company; these are very good cards, and very well supported in India.
I have a Pinnacle tv tuner card. I got it a year ago. I am facing lot of problem with this card. It works only for few mins say (20 to 30 mins) and the system restarts. Even the shop owner was not able to solve this problem. My system configuration is: 512 MB memory, P4. with XP pro os.

Do you have any idea about this problem?

Willy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks