Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2007, 19:00   #31
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Reliance Industries now gets leased line from VSNL ! rather than from Reliance Tel.
OTOH, that makes sense. RIL getting communications from RTel would be like Pakistan depending on India for defense supplies. Just look at the trouble the brothers are creating for each other - the building lease issue in ADAG's SEZ, the gas pricing problem created for ADAG by RIL, etc. etc. I even suspect that the "expensive house on land got through the back door from the wakf board" was kicked up / fanned by the rivalry.
Old 18th April 2008, 14:31   #32
Team-BHP Support

My home and office was off the grid for 18 hours since yesterday evening. That's how long Airtel took to fix the break in the phone wire of my ADSL connection.

Therefore, it has become very necessary for me to have an alternate provider (other than Airtel ADSL) so that I have redundancy in future.

So, here is my query. What are my choices if I want a more reliable connection. Since I am not near any metro, it might reduce my options.

The Airtel Leased line is supposedly 16L/year for 2Mbps connection, that is way too much. I am looking at options costing 10 times less than that.

How do I get a reliable 2Mbps connection with very good support, what are my choices?
Old 18th April 2008, 14:39   #33
Team-BHP Support

Samurai, unfortunately you have two vendors only BSNL and Airtel.
Airtel is more reliable.
I suggest you get a BSNL business line 2Mbps for around 15000/month.
This will be your backup line
Its highly unlikely that both Airtel and BSNL will go down together.

If you are planning to use BSNL on and off, for the same amount you can take the 125GB limit 8Mbps plan which you can use when you need very high data transfer speeds.
Old 18th April 2008, 15:00   #34
BHPian

:: VSNL Internet Services Limited
Please check this out.
Direct Internet is a part of VSNL currently.

I have been using this in our office with 20 odd users for last 4 years and would rate it very good. 7 Static IP's are allocated and they have provided the SLA with 99.9% of uptime and this has been kept till date. It is a RF connection and currently they are in the process of upgrading it to a Wi-Max structure. We are paying close to 3 lkhs per annum for 512 kbps 1:1 connection for which the bill would be generated quarterly. There was an initial set-up fee close to 2 lkhs or so, which I don’t remember clearly.

Last edited by menonrajesh : 18th April 2008 at 15:11.
Old 18th April 2008, 15:02   #35
Senior - BHPian

My office (50+users) is using two connections from 2 seperate ISP. The main connection is a 2Mbps ADSL from BSNL with static IP and the backup plan is another 2Mbps connection from Asianet Dataline, again with a static IP. We've been using these since 2006, in a true 24x7 basis, and connectivity is crucial for us. The BSNL connection costs us Rs.5000 / month and the ADL Broadband, Rs.3000. Both ISPs have seperate gateways, ADL is via Bharti and BSNL, via VSNL.

Based on our experience so far, we have more downtime with BSNL; our backup plan is actually more solid. Together, these 2 ISPs have provided us an uptime of 99.999%

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 18th April 2008 at 15:05.
Old 18th April 2008, 15:53   #36
BHPian

My co has two offices in city and we use seperate 2mbps 1:2 ILL (Internet leased line) in each building. We have facility to route it through a single ISP in case of failure too(two offices connected with dedicated fiber lines). Each office has a streangth of 80-90 people all connected to Internet. The connectivity is fine with lot of activities, uploads/downloads, VOIP, vonage phones, some VPN tunneled to our US office etc. We have some servers including mail server opened to outside and get considerable amount of hits too. The rate is aprox 8 lacs per year. For your purpose a 1:2 leased line from a good ISP will be sufficient. Try to get a set of 8-16 (according to your need) IPs too if you are planning to put some servers to be accessed from outside. I think all major ISPs will give atleast 8-16 IPs with broadband/leased line connectivities.
Old 29th July 2020, 20:12   #37
Senior - BHPian

Re: Internet Options for a large modern office

Hello everyone,

So I need help with understanding an internet leased line connection in my company. Please note that I am not an IT expert or technical person so kindly make it as simple as possible and forgive me for any silly questions in the process.

So I am in the process of getting a new vendor on board for my company for a 50 Mbps internet leased line.

We initially had Jio with us which seemed to work fine initially but started to have issues with a stable speed. They also take quarterly advance payments which we found to not be ethical since they were not providing the dedicated speeds. This connection was done in our server through MUX (Multiplexers)

We then spoke to Tata but they were rejected as they were providing the connection through a Media Converter. This was rejected by my IT team as they claimed that the signal is smoother and uninterrupted through MUX as compared to a Media Converter. Not sure if this is true but need help to understand this.

We then tied up with Vodafone just around a month back. They were providing a Media Converter as well but my IT team suggested MUX and they got the connection done accordingly. We have been testing the speeds since the past 15 days but we are not getting the desired speeds. The speeds seem to fluctuate. I believe a file should download at around 8 Mb/s on a 50 Mbps line (please correct me if I am wrong). As per Vodafone, their speed reaching our server room is 50 Mbps. They even shared screenshots of the same which appear to be true. There seems to be a speed drop post the MUX and switch.

If I have understood correctly the line is delivered as follows:
Service Provider Node -> Distribution Device (somewhere outside the premises) -> Customer Server -> MUX -> Switch -> Users.

Please let me know if I have understood the above correctly.

I need help from the IT experts on the following:
1. What is the actual difference between the MUX and Media Converter. which is better? Do they actually make a difference?

2. Is it possible that there is some internal issue that is limiting the actual (raw) bandwidth?

2. What are the criteria I need to check to ensure I am getting the correct bandwidth to my premises? I have been told that sometimes companies provide fake speeds.

3. Anything else I need to keep in mind?

Looking forward for advice and guidance from the experts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks