Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2023, 11:20   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Grand Theft Auto VI : Trailer & Release Date

Opening a new thread dedicated to the next edition of the Grand Theft Auto franchise as we now finally have the GTA VI trailer live;

My preliminary thoughts are that the 1st Trailer could have been better as in my opinion it looks more of a character (Lucia) introduction v/s what should have been a Game trailer. Jason also got very less screen time in this trailer.

Will be a huge task to eclipse GTA V success, however eagerly looking forward to its release in 2025.

The wait begins...

Last edited by karan561 : 5th December 2023 at 11:22.
karan561 is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 12:06   #2
BHPian

re: GTA VI: Trailer & Release Date

I understand the trailer was released before plan, due to the leaks.

Coming to the series, I have played all games starting from GTA 2 to GTA5. Except San Andreas. Yes, GTA 2 with top down view. This was early 2000 !

For GTA 6, I will be finally migrating to PS5 from Xbox One. Cannot wait
shatananda.k is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 12:12   #3
BHPian

re: Grand Theft Auto VI : Trailer & Release Date

It took them 5 years to release GTA V after GTA IV. But man oh man, they milked GTA V as long as they can.

Anyways, The 1st trailer is OUT and it is visually exciting in my opinion. It's been a decade since GTA V is launched and I'm glad they chose Vice City. VC is my 2nd top favorite next to San Andreas. Just that they don't give that RC helicopter mission in GTA VI !

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
My preliminary thoughts are that the 1st Trailer could have been better as in my opinion it looks more of a character (Lucia) introduction v/s what should have been a Game trailer. Jason also got very less screen time in this trailer.
Not exactly in my opinion. This is kind of giving a glimpse of overall game mechanics and how the gameplay is going to be. It is done to open up viewers imagination. I can see the game being vastly different from GTA V. Hope the subsequent trailers will showcase the characters and so on. You have another couple of year to understand about characters, gameplay etc. This is how they keep the hype up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Will be a huge task to eclipse GTA V success, however eagerly looking forward to its release in 2025.

The wait begins...
GTA V is a huge money milking cow for sure. But as a game, GTA IV is far better in terms of story telling, gameplay and excellent NPCS & AI's. It was far more engaging and enjoyable to play that GTA V.

I am a huge GTA fan and played all the games in the franchise. I still remember playing GTA 1 in my Pentium III PC. I bought Xbox 360 just to play GTA 5. And even now I'm playing GTA V in PS4 just to do all side quests, fun little activities and sprucing up the rides etc.

History repeats again, because to play GTA VI, I have to buy PS5! *sigh* Let's start saving from today, so my better half won't question me later. Can someone suggest me some Mutual Fund to invest so I can buy PS5 at launch of GTA VI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatananda.k View Post
I understand the trailer was released before plan, due to the leaks.

Coming to the series, I have played all games starting from GTA 2 to GTA5. Except San Andreas. Yes, GTA 2 with top down view. This was early 2000 !

For GTA 6, I will be finally migrating to PS5 from Xbox One. Cannot wait
Nice to see fellow GTA fanatic. You should try GTA San Andreas. It is one of the best in the franchise and you will not regret playing it even today. With the all the mods available, it should be good enough to play today.

Last edited by xcentrk : 5th December 2023 at 12:14.
xcentrk is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 21:07   #4
BHPian

I'm a big fan of the GTA franchise and have played all titles from GTA 3 onward, including titles like Liberty City Stories, Vice City Stories, and Chinatown Wars which were initially exclusive to only PSP. The trailer for the new iteration looks fantastic, but the PC release timelines are still uncertain. Considering that, I'm contemplating getting a new PS5(or the Pro, if it's out by that time), although I generally prefer playing GTA on my PC rather than my PS4 Pro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcentrk View Post
Just that they don't give that RC helicopter mission in GTA VI !
That's actually cakewalk in front GTA VCS missions, one I remember vividly is titled "Turn on ,tune in, bug out", it legit left me in tears.
MotoBlip is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 21:41   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBlip View Post
I'm a big fan of the GTA franchise and have played all titles from GTA 3 onward, including titles like Liberty City Stories, Vice City Stories, and Chinatown Wars which were initially exclusive to only PSP.
You are missing out fun by not playing GTA 2. It was way ahead for it's time.
You should just try it out just for the heck of it.

Quote:
The trailer for the new iteration looks fantastic, but the PC release timelines are still uncertain. Considering that, I'm contemplating getting a new PS5(or the Pro, if it's out by that time), although I generally prefer playing GTA on my PC rather than my PS4 Pro.
As a PC gamer myself, I'm in same dilemma. Just got a new 3060Ti a month ago and thought I'm all set for GTA VI. But with the news of release earlier in next-gen consoles I'm in a pickle. But it's not new for me. I bought used 360 just to play GTA V. And my current console is PS4. So I guess I need to get PS5 to play GTA VI. I cannot stand to watch all reviews and gameplay videos when console gamers put it out on YT. So I had to have PS5. So already started investing in MF to buy it on time of it's launch.

Unfortunately PC sales is just not enough to make them release it for PC at first. Based on various statistics site I've seen and read, PC sales was less than 5% for GTA V and that I believe is the reason why Rockstar is not too keen to release it for PC at the earliest.

Quote:
That's actually cakewalk in front GTA VCS missions, one I remember vividly is titled "Turn on ,tune in, bug out", it legit left me in tears.
Lot of missions were tough, but I still remember RC mission because the control in Keyboard was wacky. And I failed a lot of times towards the end and that frustration made me remember it for life.

Last edited by xcentrk : 5th December 2023 at 21:46.
xcentrk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 23:27   #6
BHPian

Quote:
You are missing out fun by not playing GTA 2. It was way ahead for it's time.
You should just try it out just for the heck of it.
As someone who began with the 3D GTA style, I find it challenging to revert to the overhead gameplay style. I experimented with it in Chinatown Wars, and while the story was compelling and the game is technically 3D, albeit in an isometric view, I didn't enjoy it's gameplay just as much. That's why GTA 3 is where I draw the line.

From the trailer alone, it's understandable why the previous-gen consoles won't be able to handle the new game, especially considering the PS5 itself is now three years old. The game won't come cheap either; online rumors suggest a $70(~₹6k) base price, but that's probably in line with what most AAA titles in 2023 cost anyways.
MotoBlip is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2023, 11:00   #7
BHPian

Re: Grand Theft Auto VI : Trailer & Release Date

Quote:
As someone who began with the 3D GTA style, I find it challenging to revert to the overhead gameplay style. I experimented with it in Chinatown Wars, and while the story was compelling and the game is technically 3D, albeit in an isometric view, I didn't enjoy it's gameplay just as much. That's why GTA 3 is where I draw the line.

From the trailer alone, it's understandable why the previous-gen consoles won't be able to handle the new game, especially considering the PS5 itself is now three years old. The game won't come cheap either; online rumors suggest a $70(~₹6k) base price, but that's probably in line with what most AAA titles in 2023 cost anyways.
Yeah. Sad thing is if we want to play GTA VI, we have to shell out for PS5 (around ₹55K) and another ₹6-7 for game. *sigh*
Old 6th December 2023, 11:55   #8
BHPian

There are few things in life that have been worth the wait. The trailer of GTA 6 is one of them.

10 years later, GTA 5 continues to be on the finest games ever made. Immensely popular, till today. The trailer of GTA 6 makes me believe that it is going to be a game that will be the perfect torchbearer to take the GTA legacy forward. Only Rockstar has the ability to break the internet like this.

The attention to detail is ultrahuman. A lot of things seen in the trailer are inspired from actual real life viral moments. In the ending shot where they barge into a shop, one of the stickers on the door says "We no longer accept cash taken out from your underwear". Classic GTA.

For the ones on PC, yes, a console will need to be bought. It will definitely strain the Xbox S (will work though), but for the ultimate experience - nothing less than a Xbox X or PS5 paired with a 4K TV should be sought.

This is a no-brainer first day first hour purchase for me.

GTA 6 just took things to the next level. Buckle up, folks!

Last edited by barcalad : 6th December 2023 at 11:59.
barcalad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2023, 13:26   #9
BHPian

Nice trailer, but my first impression is that they are not trying to do something new here. Seems the game will again be based around heists, which Sam Houser cannot get away from, after the phenomenal Three-Leaf-Clover mission of GTA IV, inspired from the Bank Heist in Heat (1995). The final scene of the trailer looked like inspired from Pulp Fiction (1994) Diner episode.

VI might be an improvement in multiplayer aspects, but I couldn't care less. I am only interested in single player story mode. Cyberpunk is a hard target to beat.

Quote:
as a game, GTA IV is far better in terms of storytelling, gameplay and excellent NPCS & AI's. It was far more engaging and enjoyable to play that GTA V.
+1. GTA V felt a step back from IV, which in 4 years after San Andreas had conquered much newer heights compared to the next 5 years. IV is the pinnacle GTA for me.

Quote:
As a PC gamer myself, I'm in same dilemma. Just got a new 3060Ti
Rockstar Games are not known for optimized releases at launch, at least for PC even though it comes later than consoles. I am going to wait a couple of years after PC launch to let them sort out issues if history repeats.

Visual fidelity is not next generation. It looks like a post processing filter applied over GTA V or Far Cry 6's graphics. It is possible for this level of visuals to run 60 fps at 1440p on a 3060 Ti, only RT needs more powerful hardware (and perhaps DLSS/ FSR), but I don't think PC game developers prioritize optimizations these days, if recent 2023 launches are anything to go by - Last of Us, Starfield, Jedi Survivor, Forza Motorsport, etc. Maybe this is intentional, the only way to sell new PC hardware when fidelity seems to have hit a barrier.

Quote:
Lot of missions were tough, but I still remember RC mission because the control in Keyboard was wacky. And I failed a lot of times towards the end and that frustration made me remember it for life.
Yeah, the best thing about GTA V was mission skip option after 3 tries. To be honest, it is bad game design when missions are frustrating, but at least they started to recognize it and make the game more accessible. VI should also continue the trend.
mayukh42 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2023, 13:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

The first GTA I ever played was GTA Liberty City Stories on a PS2.

Then played San Andreas (what a game of its time).

Followed up with Vice City Stories (till that army battle midway), GTA 3, GTA 2 just for context. All these were played on a PC.

Played GTA 4 on a PC as well and then played GTA V (5) on PS3.

GTA 6 will be the reason for getting a PS5.
PaddleShifter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2023, 13:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

GTA has always been a pre-order or a day 1 purchase for me (anyone remember GTA IV being sold for 499 on release day?) I'll wait for the PC version since consoles don't do it for me. Will need to time the next PC build to coincide with the release .

I have a very good friend who works at R* UK and it was impossible to get him to divulge anything except to say that it was in development. Will be a fun few hours of discussion with him since the trailer is out and he's going to be visiting his folks here soon.
pranavt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2023, 14:26   #12
BHPian

GTA 6 looks awesome!!!
From the graphics to the true portrayal of modern America, everything looks surreal.

I hope PS5 can manage the load.

Last edited by DustyWanderer : 6th December 2023 at 14:31. Reason: To remove mistakes
DustyWanderer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2023, 14:37   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh42 View Post
Rockstar Games are not known for optimized releases at launch, at least for PC even though it comes later than consoles. I am going to wait a couple of years after PC launch to let them sort out issues if history repeats.

Visual fidelity is not next generation. It looks like a post processing filter applied over GTA V or Far Cry 6's graphics. It is possible for this level of visuals to run 60 fps at 1440p on a 3060 Ti, only RT needs more powerful hardware (and perhaps DLSS/ FSR), but I don't think PC game developers prioritize optimizations these days, if recent 2023 launches are anything to go by - Last of Us, Starfield, Jedi Survivor, Forza Motorsport, etc. Maybe this is intentional, the only way to sell new PC hardware when fidelity seems to have hit a barrier.
GTA V at PC release was a lot more troublesome. Even with 960 card I bought second hand, it was crappy. There are some games who release PC versions only because of the microtransactions. Nothing else. And R* is one such company I believe.

All they care about is userbase and PC crowd is acclimated with the microtransactions. So it will be a no-brainer to release it for PC. Their PC port is going to be buggy at launch and this is one of the reason why I prefer to update my console from PS4 to PS5.

My kids started playing PS4 and so this upgrade will make sense. That's how I am going to pitch it to my wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyWanderer View Post
GTA 6 looks awesome!!!
From the graphics to the true portrayal of modern America, everything looks surreal.

I hope PS5 can manage the load.
Yeah, I believe they don't take the woke agenda too much and continue their legacy to prank each and everything as they always do!

PS5 should be able to handle the load, because PS6 is not set to release in near future(at least not until 2028).

Last edited by xcentrk : 6th December 2023 at 14:43.
Old 6th December 2023, 14:43   #14
BHPian

We have waited 10+ years for this and it shows in the amount of views the trailer got. 100M in one day is just unbelievable!

The part which hurts the most is that PC gamers have to wait at least till 2026 or 2027 to play it . But I guess that gives us time to save and upgrade our hardwares

Last edited by Sandeep M : 6th December 2023 at 14:45.
Sandeep M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2023, 19:35   #15

Rockstar Games has created another gem as well called Red Dead Redemption II
MadMax007 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks