Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2009, 22:29   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I think the 'n' standard can manage up to 300, so much faster than a cable, assuming transmission/reception is not subject to major obstacles. Oh, and also assuming that you cable isn't Gigabit ethernet of course

It comes at a price, though. If I remember rightly, my D-link wireless router, and the D-link laptop adapter for compatibility, totalled about 11,000!

It is still a draft standard, isn't it? So best to stick to one manufacturer, and, ok, a bit of a gamble I suppose.
What is this laptop adapter that you are talking about? Are you saying that, in addition to a wi-fi router, you need an adapter on the laptop to make this work? Or is it only because your laptop was not originally compatible with 802.11n standard?
Old 19th March 2009, 02:53   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually, it was because the adapter built into the laptop had failed!

That was what prompted the purchase of an additional adapter, and the upgrade (buying the new wireless router too) to 802.11n

But no, the built in adapter would not have been 802.11n-compatible.
Old 19th March 2009, 23:27   #33
Senior - BHPian

Dude for internet you just need 'b' and 'g' or even old 11mbps 'a' will do.

'n' and future 'y' standard is efficient only when you will be using your network for large data transfer and traffic.

Also as with wifi router all are backward compatable.
Old 20th March 2009, 02:28   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I wouldn't disagree with that...

But how many people here have the most basic, cheapest car because it would actually fulfil their practical requirements?

Pride of ownership

(but I'd say that you can tell the difference, though I'm not volunteering for a double-blind test)
Old 8th July 2009, 17:28   #35
Senior - BHPian

Which Router ??

The Apple Store (India) - Airport Extreme Base Station

Linksys.com/Now Shipping/WRT610N - Simultaneous Dual-N Band Wireless Router

Belkin : N+ Wireless Router

Anyone using any of the above. If yes how is performance. And at what price are these available. I want the one which has USB port to make it a NAS drive.
Old 9th July 2009, 07:32   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
The Apple Store (India) - Airport Extreme Base Station

Linksys.com/Now Shipping/WRT610N - Simultaneous Dual-N Band Wireless Router

Belkin : N+ Wireless Router

Anyone using any of the above. If yes how is performance. And at what price are these available. I want the one which has USB port to make it a NAS drive.
I have an Airport Extreme Base station.
Its pretty good. You can hook up a USB HDD and a USB printer via a USB Powered Hub ("Powered hub is the key here , otherwise it will not work")

But if you ask me, better pay a little more and get the Time capsule over the Extreme base station. The Time capsules built in HDD is much faster.
The problem with Base station is the HDD cannot be NTFS, it has to be FAT32. And FAT32 has restrictions on the size of a partition.

Cons
Startup is slow - takes upto 60 seconds, even connection to the client is slow, once it detects it takes upto 30 - 45 seconds to establish the connection.

Pros
If you get an Airport Express also, then you are all done. You can intergrate your comps / base station Mounted drive / Music system Amp. Play anything from anywhere to anywhere using iTunes in Wifi mode.
Old 9th July 2009, 09:02   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
My 2 cents:

Get a Buffalo WHR-54GS or the HP one. The 54GS is available for 2200/- in most towns. This is currently being tested by me and the stock router covers 3 RCC floors when placed well. With the open source firmware, I suppose I could WiFi a large complex :-)

Don't go to the US for such small things. Get your money well invested in a iPhone if anything
+1 to this- i swear by this router for 24x7 usage

If you want a router dirt cheap, you gotta wait till thanksgiving- i have seen deals for as low as $8!!! BUT if the device conks out, that would be $8-down-the-drain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post

'n' and future 'y' standard is efficient only when you will be using your network for large data transfer and traffic.

Also as with wifi router all are backward compatable.
'a' was not 11 Mbps, that was 'b'- 'a' was 54 Mb[s, but was a 5Ghz standard ('b' & 'g' being 2.4 Ghz.). 'a' devices generally are costlier than the rest, and are my preference as 2.4Ghz is a 'dirty' band (interference- cordless phones, bluetooth, etc) compared to 'a'.

More than anything, 'g' and 'n' - and their variants are supposed to provide better signal coverage and throughput, and finding a 'b' device that is not end-of-life is a big deal!

Last edited by ph03n!x : 9th July 2009 at 09:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks