Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:55   #46
Senior - BHPian

DJ training school?

A friend of mine is keen to become a DJ. He is pretty good at 'understanding' music and appreciates and enjoys almost all genres. I think its mostly a hobby that he wishes to cultivate and not in the direction of a full time career. But he is quite particular and wants to learn the tricks properly. He asked me whether it is absolutely essential to learn it from a DJ training institute or can he pick up the tricks on his own?

If its the former, where in Mumbai to go? And what are the expected costs? If its the latter, what are the next steps in terms of buying the equipment or software etc?

As per my last conversation, the reason he wants to invest in this is because if he feels he is really good at spinning, he *might* consider it as a weekend profession!
Old 24th July 2009, 02:18   #47
Senior - BHPian

BCD 3000 can also be interfaced with VDJ. download the 6 version (official) its great. also download the 6 version(unofficial, new star) version. it is made by enthusiasts with hundreds of samples.

Denon, Pioneer, Behringer, are some of the manufacturer of professional DJ products.

for power amps, speakers, monitors you know who to contact. none other than 'Kapasi Sir'. But i am not sure if SAHIL deals in pro-products.
Old 24th July 2009, 13:19   #48
naughty001

yep, you guys are bringing back memories of my DJ days as well. I was a DJ for 15 years and standard issue in most clubs that i played in were technics SL1200 turntables as well as the stanton EL680 and sometimes the stanton EL500 cartridges, the 680's were obviously better for backtracking and scratching

whichever cartridge and stylus you used there was an adjustable counterweight at the back of the tonearm which you had to balance perfectly so that it wouldnt jump when scratching

i stopped DJ'ing when the drug culture became prevalent in nightclubs because it started becoming unneccesarily violent too in nightclubs here in South Africa, i even witnessed someone getting shot in front of my very own eyes - so i decided enough was enough and i stayed at home to play with my music on virtual software based computer setups

i did use mixvibes pro as well as DJ mixstation3 (there are newer versions of this which allow video mixing as well) and virtual turntables also was an interesting software program

just before hanging up my headphones i did use denon as well as pioneer and gemini cd playing mixers but in the early days these were a bit cumbersome as well as sometimes overly complicated, the new denon i cannot figure out half the features properly and i can only do basic things with it but the younger guys here have no problems doing some hectic technical stuff with the samplers etc

call me old fashioned (i definitely am cos im 42 years old LOL) but i still prefer the old turntables over and above the cd stuff for mixing - it was way easier maybe because i started DJ'ing in an era when the cd stuff was all too new and gave up when it was just becoming fashionable, in fact i started DJ'ing at the university radio station around 1986 and in nightclubs around 1987 and then stopped around 2002

BTW i still have loads of music from the 80's and 90's on vinyl but ive also converted most of that to a digital form ie MP3 since the records are in a pretty bad condition it didnt make sense to record them into a better format

Last edited by naughty001 : 24th July 2009 at 13:23.

Old 24th July 2009, 14:56   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughty001 View Post
call me old fashioned (i definitely am cos im 42 years old LOL) ... in fact i started DJ'ing at the university radio station around 1986 and in nightclubs around 1987 and then stopped around 2002
Old? why you are a spinrg chicken compared to the oldies here like DA, Rudra, Ajmat and myself. In fact I used to DJ for fun at school and college shows and yes the standard was the SL1200+680 combo (my monitor speakers were JBL L82 powered by a 75W BGW 150 amp) and this was between 1978 and 1982!
Old 24th July 2009, 23:15   #50
naughty001

Quote:
and this was between 1978 and 1982!
im sure in and around that time you must have also come across some of those dreadful technics SL1800 belt drive DJ turntables, the belts on those used to get stretched so easily which is why those direct drive 1200's were a godsend

i dont know if its just for me but i also found that toward the late 80's and early 90's the music became easier to mix since the extended versions had those long mixing breaks to allow you to beatmatch and mix two songs for extended periods of time (mainly talking of english music though the hindi filmi music of that time wasnt particularly easy to mix - still is difficult to mix because sometimes the tabla and dolaks use 7 beats per bar instead of the standard 4/8)

Quote:
Old? why you are a spinrg chicken compared to the oldies here like DA, Rudra, Ajmat and myself
LOL, okay i will take your word for it, but i dont feel like a spring chicken, in fact sometime i feel like im a young 72 instead of being 42, and im preparing for my walking stick

Old 25th July 2009, 19:07   #51
BHPian

i did a pro dj course .. i wanted to take it up as a career but parents are too fussy about this whole dj'ing thing .. so for the time being spinning is only a hobby and along with that i have also got a bit into music production and remixing

i did get the residency at a few clubs in delhi and ncr but since my parents are too scared to let me out alone in the dark .. therefore i joined a club where i can play at daytime .. i do wish to make a career in dj'ing and music production and hopefully i will make it big someday
Old 4th July 2011, 00:48   #52
BHPian

Sony PS-X800 Turn Table Issues

Hey guys,
I just acquired a Sony PS-X800 Turn Table.
I have to get it fixed though, the Speed Selector mechanism doesn't seem to work.

I have downloaded the Service Manual and stuff, does anyone know where i can get it fixed / if it's just a few capacitors that are messed up, should i attempt to fix it on my own? since i have the service Manual and stuff?
Old 4th July 2011, 01:51   #53
BHPian

Re: Sony PS-X800 Turn Table Issues

if you have not dealt with soldering iron, PCB, electronic components, please refrain your self from doing D.I.Y. experiments on it.
Sony service would be expensive if you try them, it would be better to seek help from any electronic repair shop who could fix it for you at reasonable pricing.

I am sure there must be many such repair options around Lamington Road.
ghpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 02:23   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
if you have not dealt with soldering iron, PCB, electronic components, please refrain your self from doing D.I.Y. experiments on it.
Sony service would be expensive if you try them, it would be better to seek help from any electronic repair shop who could fix it for you at reasonable pricing.

I am sure there must be many such repair options around Lamington Road.
Well i'm not really experienced with soldering and stuff, i can hold my own, if told what to do... and i have some friends who are quite good at this stuff... so i would actually turn to them...

i know of a guy who is good, the guy who gave me the TT told me to go to him.
I was just wondering if its a simple fix like changing 1 or 2 capacitors then i can do it myself...
Old 4th July 2011, 02:48   #55
BHPian

what makes you sure about that its only capacitors which needs to be replaced ?
replacing parts without knowing if its defective or not is not advisable.
Old 4th July 2011, 03:29   #56
Senior - BHPian

Best option is to go to the guy recommended by the TT guy.
Old 4th July 2011, 14:06   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
what makes you sure about that its only capacitors which needs to be replaced ?
replacing parts without knowing if its defective or not is not advisable.
That's why i was asking... If and only if it's a small job then i can do it myself.
otherwise i go to the guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Best option is to go to the guy recommended by the TT guy.
Going tomorrow to drop off the TT.
Hoping that it will be fixable.

It's an old one and the parts are not readily available.
Old 20th September 2011, 22:46   #58
BHPian

Re: All about Turntables!

any ideas on where to pick up a turntable in Bangalore? Not for Djing - just want one to play my old vinyls.

Thanks,
Manas
Old 21st September 2011, 11:32   #59
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
any ideas on where to pick up a turntable in Bangalore? Not for Djing - just want one to play my old vinyls.

Thanks,
Manas

manasam...check out reliance time out on cunningham road. They have turntables for sale plus some really amazing records as well. Not many records, but last time I saw they had some really good ones like classic rock and blues. They even had some metal records like Maiden and Priest
NIP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2012, 14:39   #60
BHPian

Hello folks,

Nice to see a thread for vinyls here! Would anyone happen to know where I can get a used Technics SL-1200 in Pune? None of that DJing stuff, its for the few hundred LPs I've collected over the years, and to add to a set of 3 ageing turntables.

Also (and OT), has anyone here faced the issue of a burnt output transformer on their amplifiers? My Dual HS-39 has been rendered useless because of this. Am wondering if I can divorce the turntable from its amp and use it with an external amp. Any known replacements for that transformer?

Cheers,
Rahul

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks