Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2007, 23:51   #1
BANNED

Iptv

Anybody on this forum using IPTV ? heard that BSNL has launched this in Delhi & Mumbai.
Old 7th November 2007, 11:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

sfilinto, I have BSNL broadband at home. Few days back I got IPTV installed. I was planning to pen a review but anyway here are the features:
  1. Picture quality is very good (comparable to TataSky)
  2. Limted channels - only 60. IOL (IOL BroadbandLtd. Welcome to Homepage), BSNL's IPTV partner plans to add more channels.
  3. Video is dependent on broadband connection - any disconnect & you will have to wait for reconnection. My ADSL modem takes over 2 minutes to establish the connection.
  4. Again video quality is dependent on connection quality. Sometimes you can see glitches (like you are playing a bad VCD).
  5. IPTV Registration link: IOL Broadband - IPTV Registration
  6. Related discussion forum: India Broadband Forum
Bottomline: Do you trust your broadband for disconnect-free connection? If you don't then its not yet time for IPTV.
Old 7th November 2007, 15:34   #3
BHPian

A friend of mine signed up for IPTV in Bangalore but later discontinued it.

Reasons.
1. I believe it takes 10 minutes for the set top box to boot up
2. If the connection gets disrupted you have to wait for another 10 min to boot up.
3.He had a speed issue due to which the image was not rendering properly.
4.You have to have a BSNL landline + have to be tied to BSNL broadband.
This does not sound fine for people who are well settled with Airtel or other service providers for broadband.
i.e. If you want only the IP TV they do not provide the service.
Old 8th November 2007, 10:31   #4
BANNED

thanks msdivy, i am on airtel at them moment so will have to wait for them to start this service. also the channels available dont sound too interesting at the moment.
if i am not too inqusitive could you tell me how much it cost you.
Old 19th November 2007, 11:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

I was on 15 day trial & the charge is Rs 150/- per month, charged along with land line bill. So no recharge headache as of now.

The STB is AmiNET 125 & it comes with an USB out, which can be connected to a Wireless Adapter. So with an Wireless Router, you can setup your private home WLAN .
Old 30th November 2007, 01:16   #6
BHPian

Disconnection depends on the Line such as improper internal wiring , parallel connection etc.
@msdivy i would like know your modem Statistics ( SNR , Line Attenuation , and Down/UP Sync Speed .
Old 26th February 2008, 18:40   #7

IPTV .. my mom hates me for getting it

Hi Guys,

As the subject says .. I am being cursed, and kicked at home for taking the decision to stop the CABLE TV and opt for a new TECHNIE thing called IPTV ... no one at my home (including extended relatives) have heard of it.. BUT I have it in my house ....

The connection is as bad as MTNL can provide, its like watching streaming videos on my TV!!! except that it has some VOD (video on demand) which also shows how to make some Gajar ka Halwa, Vegitable Pulao, etc... (and actually this was the only thing my mom liked )

Getting to the technicalities, it has a startup page (main menu) which randomly denies to show up, causing me to shoot in the dark because I dont recall which channel shows what.. Although I still can type the channel number and it works.. But again as I said its like watching streaming videos.. Without the buffer issue (quality is like 800x600video enlarged to fill my screen) INFACT ITS like watching YOUTUBE on my TV, with all videos coming on seperate channels rather than threads ;-)

And now being into this network thing, I would like to play with it .. ofourse no one will call me by names this time for breaking it

So, can anyone help me in understanding what I can do with the device.... things that I have Tried & done so far with the IPTV Equipment:
1. Checked its two USB ports, not detected on PC! -- ye kisliye hain???
2. Connected its Ethernet port to my PC LAN; it seems it looks for an ip address, havent configured my system as a SERVER yet; but have installed CISCO IPTV SERVER and CLIENT on my PC...
3. When this equipment is connected to my MTNL Router, it fetches itself an ipaddress (192.168.0.x) and i can ping it from my pc.

What I would need ur help in:
1. How to set up a router on my PC; so that I can stream video to my TV via this IPTV EQUIP.
2. How to customize the firmware of this IPTV box, does it expose some hidden setting?
3. I plan to put a nework sniffer on my pc, and see what does the IPTV EQUIP says when its connected to my pc....
4. Can i monitor what goes between the router and the IPTV box.. from my PC (I doubt.. please suggest).

Any help/pointers would be well appreciated!!!

THANKS A LOT!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Technocrat : 26th February 2008 at 18:52. Reason: Excessive Smiley Usage
Old 26th February 2008, 19:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

My distant relative, who works in BSNL, suggested IPTV. With no info on net, no user reviews, I decided to try its and thats how I ended up with IPTV. When it works, video quality is good. BSNL has few crap movies on VOD. IMO, IPTV is not yet ready as a primary option of watching TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cha0s4u View Post
So, can anyone help me in understanding what I can do with the device.... things that I have Tried & done so far with the IPTV Equipment:
1. Checked its two USB ports, not detected on PC! -- ye kisliye hain???.
In my IPTV STB, this USB must go to a wireless router. Haven't used it and so can't comment.
Quote:
What I would need ur help in:
1. How to set up a router on my PC; so that I can stream video to my TV via this IPTV EQUIP.
Can your TV receive streamng video? The IPTV STB gives S-Video/RCA out, which you can connect to a TV.
Quote:
2. How to customize the firmware of this IPTV box, does it expose some hidden setting?
Enter the model number in Google and you might get more info from the STB manufacturer's site.
Quote:
3. I plan to put a nework sniffer on my pc, and see what does the IPTV EQUIP says when its connected to my pc....
4. Can i monitor what goes between the router and the IPTV box.. from my PC (I doubt.. please suggest).
You can do that using Ethereal, Wireshark.

PS: This forum might shed more information: India Broadband Forum

PS: Also check this from Reliance: :: Welcome to Reliance IPTV ::. They have some good features. Wish they introduce this in all cities

Last edited by msdivy : 26th February 2008 at 19:13. Reason: Gave Reliance link.
Old 26th February 2008, 20:49   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Should have searched for IPTV reviews on Team-BHP! I remember seeing some around.
Old 27th February 2008, 08:33   #10
Team-BHP Support

Have merged it with one of the existing IPTV threads!

cya
R
Old 27th February 2008, 15:07   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

I have had MTNL IOL IPTV for 5 months now and it has not worked properly a single day. Have asked for a refund now, think i am going to switch over to Tata Sky it's a reliable bet backed by great service network.
Old 29th February 2008, 00:03   #12

hmmm so my post is here.. Sorry mods .. should have put it here by default ..

Hey [COLOR=#0000ff]msdivy[/COLOR] Thaks Buddy for answering each of my dumb question and I truly appreciate ur inputs; I would surely try to get a hold of Wireless Adaptor that can take input from a USB Port and check it out. But i couldn't get Ethreal to sniff whatgoes between my iptv equip. and the router... the data would never be broadcasted from the router to my pc eth adaptor.

I think, you didnt get my question about streaming video... I intend to setup my PC as IPTV SERVER (just like MTNL has its IPTV Server); so that I can feed in my PC's address in the iptv equip. and then see what I want to see; What happens now is that \the iptv equip. connects to the mtnl iptv servers and stream channels I wish to make it a local thing controlled by me.... ( I Found a CISCO IPTV SERVER .. with lots of configuraiotns... but I dont know whats the sequence in which my current iptv h/w sends the data (so need a packet sniffer) ...

Still on the look out for more info about the iptv equip .. didnt find any whitepapers for this device .. is UTSTARCOM MEdia Console 1088L (will search more).

Take Care, Good nite!
Old 29th February 2008, 00:19   #13

Ohh now i m seeing some info in the right direction. msdivy you are the man dude!

I see that it supports quite a few protocols .. including telnet.. so this is what I am trying now... I am sure.. im gonna late for office tomorrow ;-P

Thanks!

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th February 2008 at 00:36. Reason: 2mow = tomorrow. Please type in full words as per TBHP rules.
Old 2nd February 2009, 20:14   #14
BHPian

Anybody tried ACT IP TV ?
They are offering 4mbps speed + just like Tatasky+ Pause/Record/Rewind live TV.

:: ACT Television ::

They also have Broadband plans

Last edited by Fillmore : 2nd February 2009 at 20:16.
Old 2nd February 2009, 20:20   #15
BHPian

Did anyone tried AIRTEL IPTV yet?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks