Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2007, 23:18   #1
BHPian

Best place to buy electronic stuff abroad?

Well,
I have some relatives who are constantly frequenting various countries and my question is simple.
Which country/place is the cheapest for buying electronic goodies?
US?Hong Kong?Shanghai?Singapore?Dubai?

Electronic goodies includes everything...computer stuff, car audio related stuff, home theatre related stuff, mp3 players, ps2/3 etc...

I hope i was clear enough...

thanks!
Old 16th November 2007, 14:34   #2
BHPian

I have experienced all of these countries, except Shanghai. For quality and best price, you cannot beat the US, only problem is voltage compatibility for home stuff.
Old 16th November 2007, 14:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

I guess the best of the stuff in terms of models, quality etc , its got to be the US or europe. Australia is not far behind though.
For prices, ease of buying, its got to be Singapore/Dubai.
Old 16th November 2007, 15:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

Everyone here suggests the grey market in any Indian city
Jokes apart, Singapore is impressive, i hear.
Old 16th November 2007, 15:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Singapore is no better than the indian market. It is cheaper around couple of hundreds. I had bought an MP3 player and Mobile from singapore and after coming to India had checked the price but the difference was hardly around Rs.500~800. I guess the best place for cheaper product would be China and for quality would be US/Europe markets.
Old 16th November 2007, 15:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Singapore isnt that hot anymore, there was a time when SimLim was a haven.

Its Dubai and Hongkong that wins hands down imho.

Hongkong beats S'pore anyday for electronics, cameras etc.

Otherwise YOUYESYAY!

Last edited by s0uljah : 16th November 2007 at 15:56.
Old 16th November 2007, 16:06   #7
BHPian

Depends on the electronic item. Malaysia is cheap for most of the electronic stuff ( Cameras, Music System....). Mobiles and Computers are cheap in US . Singapore is expensive than India for Mobile phones.
Old 16th November 2007, 16:17   #8
BHPian

Hi,

US is the best place to buy Computer stuff, car audio, mp3 players and game consoles. However the best bargains are available only if you buy online (you or whoever buys the stuff need to have a US issued credit card with a valid US address for buying stuff online). The prices in stores like Circuit city, Best Buy are normally high. You can check the online prices @ Shopping at BizRate - Price comparisons & product reviews online or PriceGrabber.com - Comparison Shopping Beyond Compare which is normally 20-30% cheaper than the stores price.

For home theatre singapore is the best bet (Sim Lim Square & Funan IT Mall) as US stuff work with 110V/60Hz.

Hope this helps.
Old 16th November 2007, 16:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

The cheapest market should be the US. Most electronics products get launched there first. Compared with Europe, prices for at least digital cameras are around 20% cheaper. In Europe, I can only talk of UK since my brother lives there and is getting a new camera for me (G9). The camera had a price of US$450-475 in the US (unfortunately no one coming from the US), but a UK price of 260-265 pounds. The US price is equivalent to around 210 pounds.
Old 17th November 2007, 14:09   #10
BHPian

Well, actually the thing is that till now I have got most of my stuff from the US only(online shopping, mainly cardomain and musiciansfriend) but just wanted to find out if there is a significant difference in prices between there and HK, mainly since its a part of China there would be no duty taxes etc, which would be there in the US.
The things i wanna buy are:
1. Zune 2
2. Logitech z-2300 speakers
3. JBLGTO607c
Guess US it is then...thanks!
Old 17th November 2007, 21:27   #11
BHPian

Can anyone suggest me the name of the shop or street where i can shop HANDY CAM item in Singapore?
Old 18th November 2007, 16:50   #12
BHPian

the reason stuff is cheap in the US, high volumes and massive discounting of models that are slightly old. This makes it much cheaper than the duty=free havens which only have latest models less the duties (5 per cent). Compared to this, in a clearance sale you can get 40-50 per cent off in the States
Old 18th November 2007, 21:34   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
Can anyone suggest me the name of the shop or street where i can shop HANDY CAM item in Singapore?
Hi,

First go to a reputed store like Mustafa in Little India or the showrooms in the Orchard Road malls to know the price of the handycam model you intend to buy. Then go to Sim Lim square (in Rochor Canal Road) and start the bargain at 30% less than the price at Mustafa. You can finalize the deal at around 10-15% less than the store price. If you are visiting Singapore, insist on a international warranty and a GST receipt for getting the refund.
Old 19th November 2007, 03:38   #14
BHPian

Dude.. US rocks bigtime.. i recently bought so much stuff from US at so cheap prices as compared to others..
Old 19th November 2007, 10:55   #15
BHPian

If you are in US then visit Deals2buy: Everyday hot deals and coupons everyday. find lot of offers from there.

Most Viewed