Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2007, 14:14   #31
Senior - BHPian

Doc, you planning to get the stuff from Japonica? Have you also tried out ProFX? They stock Denon and Polk Audio amongst other brands.
Old 2nd December 2007, 21:12   #32
BHPian

Nura,

the AVR should not the be anchor point of your system. I mean to say, you should not say "what speakers to match to the AVR". THe most critical component of the system is the speakers and you should choose the best you can afford and build the rest of the system around that.

My rule of thumb is that the in a system with a DVD player, AVR, speakers, and a subwoofer, the speakers should get about 60% of the budget, the subwoofer about 20%, the receiver about 15% and the DVD player 5%.

These are of course approximations, but I find it always pays to err in the favor of speakers.
Old 2nd December 2007, 23:12   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nura View Post
The Yamaha AVR costs double in India so I might try to get that from elsewhere.
If you are getting the receiver from US, then don't bother about Yamaha. You get better 5.1 receivers for $250 (also Yamahas are a bit too bright, esp with a speaker package). I got a refurbished Denon 1603 for <200 dollars. That was two years ago. I am sure you can get a better deal now. BTW, Denons have discrete amplification, while many Yamahas don't.

Also worth considering is an all digital circuitry amp like the Panasonic SA-XR series. These days they have added lots of bells and whistles to them, but the older SA-25 is an excellent 5.1 (100w @8ohms) that you can get on eBay for $120-150. That's cheap. And the real thing about such receivers are that they are SMALL. A very useful factor when you carrying it in your baggage, or getting someone to carry it for you :-)

Quote:
If I am spending $250 on the AVR, how much should I allocate for the front, centre & surround speakers & how much for the active sub to have a well-balanced system.
I would say mark 3 times for the speakers, but if on budget, like with $250 on receiver, then perhaps $500 is an OK bet. (Just saw Harbir's post on 60% for speakers, which is ideal) If you are getting the speakers as well from the US, the best (& the only) option is to get only the 5 speakers and buy the sub from here. In that speaker category, there are two that I feel are value for money -- the KEF KHT series or the Polk RM series. KHT 2005 is on sale at Bestbuy for 60% off at $400. Sell or ditch the 110v sub and easily get the "eggs" home in your overnight bag! Polk RM also can be found for similar prices. But such speaker systems will offer very less flexibility in terms of listening.

Quote:
I have no clue yet what I am going to end up buying. At the moment I am trying to learn a little bit about the subject. Then maybe I can demo some stuff here in Kolkata & then finally buy. Would really appreciate your recommendations.
One of the best ways to go about it is to get good components slowly, than getting average ones in one go. Get a good receiver first, and then a pair of good floor standers or bookshelves - like Wharfedale, Mordant, some of the older Sonodynes that you can easily source in Calcutta, EPOS, and if lucky a KEF iQ that fits your budget. IMO, variety in subs are the biggest pain in India.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by determinus : 2nd December 2007 at 23:19.
Old 3rd December 2007, 00:06   #34
BHPian

@Razor - I visited Japonica first as my office is almost next door. In fact I had met Mr. Biswas many years ago when they also sold Pioneer car audio. I'm hoping to audition some stuff there soon & then maybe I should visit Profx. Is it possible to just drop in at Profx for an audition or do I need to give them time to set it up?
@Harbir - Thanks once again. Your budget break-up really helps. So which speakers would you recommend I audition in the $500 - 900 price range?
Another noob question - If I were to load an audio CD on my DVD player, connected to an AVR, connected in turn to 5 speakers & a sub, which speakers would emit the sound - all, only the front right & left & sub or only the front right & left? How will the music sound best?

Last edited by nura : 3rd December 2007 at 00:11.
Old 3rd December 2007, 00:19   #35
BHPian

Thanks Deturminus. You've given me lots to research for the next few days & I guess I also need to get out of the office for a bit & do some auditioning.
Old 3rd December 2007, 01:54   #36
BHPian

Nura,

I don't know what country you will buy in and what the prices there are like. I don't know what prices in India are as I have not shopped for audio in India for the last 14 years. Your $500 - $900 budget, do you intend for it to include the subwoofer? This amount of money will buy you only a weak subwoofer, and choice of F/C/R speakers that either sound good, or can produce large SPL, but not both. The subwoofer will not be a true sub, but will instead be a sort of "bass reinforcement module" even if they call it subwoofer. A true sub will will have a very solid response to down to near 25Hz, if not 20, and would generate atleast 100db in the 30 to 60Hz region without distortion. It is virtually impossible to create this kind of performance for low cost. A typical $300 sub will roll off rapidly below 40Hz, and produce almost no output at 30Hz, and will almost certainly not manage 100db without distortion in the low band. So in essence, what you get is a "woofer" not a "subwoofer".

One very good system for $600 (in the US), is the Mirage Nanosat 5.1 system: NANOSAT 5.1 System

Another very good system was the Energy Take5 system, but I believe its been redesigned and I don't know what the new price point for the Take system.

If you can tell me what brands are available to you, I would be happy to offer you some opinions.

on your other question, the AVR will allow you to listen to your music CD in either stereo, in which case the sound will come out from the front L/R speakers, plus your subwoofer, if you have set up the AVR's settings to send low frequency to the sub. But you will also be able to listen to music in Dolby ProLogic II (or its DTS equally), which will synthesize 5.1 sound from the stereo source and produce sound from all speakers. In addition, there are various sound modes that the receiver can use to simulate various environments like "jazz club" or "dance club" or "mono movie" or "stadium" or "rock concert". If you use one of these modes, sound will come from all the speakers, but mind that these are almost always nonsensical gimmicks and quite worthless. Only Yamaha's high end receivers have received decent reviews for their modes.

As to which will sound best, I find stereo sounds best usually, but then I am a purist with a 9 speaker, 4 amplifier, 3000watt, 4 subwoofer setup, so I don't have to use these modes to make up the deficiencies of my speakers.
Old 3rd December 2007, 11:47   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it possible to just drop in at Profx for an audition or do I need to give them time to set it up?
Yea, just drop in sometime. They have two demo rooms already setup. One is an Denon HT setup which targets the economy (ie, < 40k!!) customers, and the other has high end Denon, Polk Audio and some other brands ready for testing. Worth a visit... they have a good collection of DVD's that you can choose for the demo.
Old 4th December 2007, 11:34   #38
BHPian

Thanks Harbir & Razor. I am looking at allocating, in a phased manner, $250 for the AVR, another $250 for the sub & $500-900 for the rest of the speakers & may be able to source everything from the US. Which products would your recommend in this budget?
A client has cancelled an appointment so heading to Profx to audition Denon & Polk after clicking on the send button.
Old 5th December 2007, 14:39   #39
BHPian

Yesterday, I spent an hour at the Profx showroom in Kolkata. I listened to the Denon AVR-1507 connected to a Boston sattelite-sub speaker system. Then the same AVR was hooked to Polkaudio Monitor floor-standers/ bookshelves in combination with the cs 1 centre speaker & PSW 10 sub. The Polkaudios sounded better but I plan to go back & hear some other combinations too.
Old 5th December 2007, 16:58   #40
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking at allocating $500-900 for the rest of the speakers & may be able to source everything from the US. Which products would your recommend in this budget?
FRY's online, outpost.com is selling Polk R series dirt cheap. R150 bookshelves are going for $50 a pair, R50 floor standers for $60 a piece, and R300 for $50 per piece . IMO, awesome deals!! If I have someway (or someone) to carry them to India, I would buy all of them -- there is a limit of 2 per customer for each model.

Also check techbargains.com for deals on KEF satellite system. The last I checked, the KHT was going for a 50-60% discount!!
Old 7th December 2007, 13:46   #41
BHPian

Are the Swans M200 speakers available in India? The speakers connected to my Worldspace radio have suddenly given up & am thinking of replacing them with these.
Old 12th December 2007, 23:24   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Are the Swans M200 speakers available in India? The speakers connected to my Worldspace radio have suddenly given up & am thinking of replacing them with these.
I dont think so. Have not seen any of the Hi-Vi Lab stuff in India.

What's happening with your HT+Speakers? Any progress? I was browsing through an old AV-MAX and so the launch advt of Wharf Diamond 9. Suddenly remembered the thread and came here. Let's know.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks