Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2007, 19:11   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I saw a Yamaha 395 or 396 selling for under 10K.
Thanks! I found the price u mentioned. It looks fine. Wondering...Does it support MP3?

ALso any idea about the B&W ?

Thanks a ton!

Elito
Old 30th November 2007, 23:12   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

I think its fair to say that digital speakers only exist in theory. Didn't that Wikki say something like abandoned as impractical?. Curious idea, though!

--- just to answer a previous post.

By the way... my PC is the best CD player I have, but that is due to its RME sound card, which cost more than my Marantz domestic player. It has disadvantages, though, being not quite silent as a machine: a previous PC I spent quite a lot of money and time on making as silent as possible.

Regrettably, the fairly complex analogue and digital connections I used to have between hifi components and PC cannot be made here as it is just impossible to run one, let alone many, cables between the two.

Even more regrettably, my hearing is too bad these days to give my comments on sound much credence, even to myself.

Cambridge Audio, btw, iirc, is owned by Richer Sounds in UK, who are its exclusive sellers there. I wonder how prices compare to here?
Old 3rd April 2010, 12:38   #63
Senior - BHPian

Jumping from Home theater thread!!!

I am looking for an audio set up for my bedroom and after doing some online search thinking of getting

Wharfedale Diamond 9.2 bookshelves
Norge 1000 amp

Budget Max 25K

Source:My Dell/HP laptop, ipod nano, ext hard drive/pen drive and DVD player

Room size: 15'x10'

Music preference: All types
Old 11th September 2010, 22:08   #64
Senior - BHPian

5.1 speakers needed

Dear all,

I currently have an LG LCD and a Western Digital HD Media Player (Gen 1). Currently the sound output is from the TV speakers, which is crappy to say the least!

I need to buy *decent* 5.1 home theater speakers but nothing high end.

I saw these on Ebay -> eBay India: Philips DSP2500 5.1 HomeTheatre System 2500W+DVP3326USB (item 130428820264 end time 15-Sep-2010 08:00:00 IST). Are these any good?

But I'm clueless how to connect these to my TV/Media player. The outputs available on the media player are TOSlink and HDMI. Are these available on the Philips set as well?

Also, please suggest a good 5.1 speakers within 10k budget.
Old 6th January 2014, 12:11   #65
BHPian

Re: Home Audio basics!

Anyone know of a good Yamaha AVR repair centre in Mumbai?
Old 6th January 2015, 10:20   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Setup:

1) Ahuja PA system
- 4 Mic inputs
- head-phone out port on front
- connections for out (to speakers) at rear
- model can also record on cassette
- we use this in a hall that measures about 40' x 25'

2) Personal audio player that can record either through in-built mic or on a audio-in (cable from external source)

I want to connect a cable from the head-phone out port of the Ahuja PA system to the auido player. Physical connection can be done.

Question:
Should I check the impedance rating of the two devices ?
Is it necessary to match the impedance ?

Or is impedance matching only for external speakers - and will not apply to head-phone ports ?

Why I ask - from my little knowledge of audio systems, I understand that impedance matching of speaker with the amp is important to get the right output.

TIA !
Old 6th January 2015, 13:00   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I want to connect a cable from the head-phone out port of the Ahuja PA system to the auido player. Physical connection can be done.

Question:
Should I check the impedance rating of the two devices ?
Is it necessary to match the impedance ?
It should work fine; no impedance matching is needed.
The input impedance of the personal stereo line input is likely to be at least a 100 KΩ and the headphone output from the Ahuja is probably 8Ω or 32Ω. These values are all OK for voltage signal transfer.

Just in case it does not work fine, you can connect a Y connector to the headphones output socket of the Ahuja, connect a headphone to one arm of the Y and use the second output to send as input to the personal stereo.
Old 6th January 2015, 13:38   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, Mathur saab
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Just in case it does not work fine, you can connect a Y connector to the headphones output socket of the Ahuja, connect a headphone to one arm of the Y and use the second output to send as input to the personal stereo.
When you say if it does Not work fine, what could go wrong ? I dont want the audio player to conk out since the connector port on the player is used for charging & data transfer also.

The 8Ω / 32Ω / 100Ω connectors are at the rear, which we use to drive the speakers.
Old 6th January 2015, 14:11   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....since the connector port on the player is used for charging & data transfer also.
What kind of 'port' is this? Is it not a 3.5 mm stereo phone socket?
If not, then you would need to identify the line in pins (3 nos - L, R and Ground) for the audio signals.

When I say "if it does not work", I mean sound distortion and/or some noise. There is virtually no possibility for damage.
Old 6th January 2015, 14:14   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What kind of 'port' is this? Is it not a 3.5 mm stereo phone socket?

When I say "if it does not work", I mean sound distortion and/or some noise. There is virtually no possibility for damage.
Thanks again !

Player is a Cowon. The port on the player is a non-standard connector port, and I have two cables - one for the USB for charging & data transfer.
The other cable I have has one end to this port, and has a 3.5mm jack at the other end to connect to an audio port. This cable is from the manufacturer (Cowon)

the non-standard port is like a micro USB port, but wider.
Old 6th January 2015, 14:18   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The other cable I have has one end to this port, and has a 3.5mm jack at the other end to connect to an audio port. This cable is from the manufacturer (Cowon)
You should be fine then! Nothing to worry about!

I have always been a Cowon admirer! Have always used and still use the Jet Audio Plus Player/Recorder. Awesome software.

Last edited by anupmathur : 6th January 2015 at 14:29.
Old 30th December 2015, 08:08   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

All, I am looking for a USB-female to 3.5 mm stereo cable. I am able find only this one short cables, on Ali Express, but want something a little longer.

(If any one has a spare, would like to borrow to check if it works for my set up )

Home Audio basics!-usbfemtoaux.jpg

Quote:
You should be fine then! Nothing to worry about!
Mathur saab, thank you ! I got the cable & finally tried the recording. It worked better than recording via in-built mic (naturally ).

Last edited by benbsb29 : 30th December 2015 at 10:21. Reason: Post edited as per request.
Old 30th December 2015, 17:27   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All, I am looking for a USB-female to 3.5 mm stereo cable. I am able find only this one short cables, on Ali Express, but want something a little longer.
That's easy! Get hold of a 3.5 mm audio extension cable like this one: http://www.amazon.in/Stereo-Extensio...a-c97210464b0a

Try to get a 3 ft length cable, not much longer than you can manage with.
Old 30th December 2015, 22:19   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

No, not that way.

I got a 30 cm USB cable for the Cowon. I want to keep that fixed but keep swapping the remaining part as needed. So when recording, use the Female-USB-to-3.5mm attached to the other cable. When only charging / data transfer, use the pre-connected USB cable.
Want to try it this way.
Old 1st January 2016, 14:43   #75
BHPian

A USB extension cable? Should be able to get it in various lengths one of which should meet your needs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks