Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2007, 12:28   #46
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Whats that all about ?
Some marketeer from the company signed up into Team-BHP and started sending PMs to our people urging them to try their products.
Old 30th December 2007, 12:41   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Does that mean their navigator doesn't work if there is no network connectivity? I want to chart my own route through local mud trails and superimpose them on the map. That's not possible with this?
Samurai

Internet based maps have issues because they download more maps when there is connectivity. This is not true GPS because in many instances the place where you actually NEED GPS will be remote and data connectivity may be a problem.

In your home state you may have a GPRS package for a fixed fee, but when you're outside your home network you will end up paying roaming charges on GPRS usage.

Go for a GPS PNA or PDA which comes with the maps for the region, not for one that requires you to connect to the net for maps (like the N95's free GPS). You need both the GPS Receiver and the Maps on ONE Device.
Old 30th December 2007, 13:56   #48
rkg
Senior - BHPian

As far as i know mapmyindia navigator is like any other GPS device .it comes with maps.no need to connect to Internet.
i think what some one referring is GPS enabled phone, where one has to connect to net and browse sites like mapmyindia
mapmy india navigator is availble since few months. it is prominently displayed when one visits their site.
Old 30th December 2007, 16:29   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does that mean their navigator doesn't work if there is no network connectivity? I want to chart my own route through local mud trails and superimpose them on the map. That's not possible with this?
Mapmyindia Navigator will work WITHOUT network connectivity. However, I doubt you can chart your own route using it. What you are looking for is something like The Official OziExplorer Web Site - GPS Mapping Software for Magellan, Garmin, Lowrance, Eagle, MLR Receivers software which can be used along with a PDA and a BT GPS dongle.
Old 30th December 2007, 17:40   #50
Team-BHP Support

Steer, spadival,

That's why I am looking at non-phone PDA based GPS equipment. But with that I will need maps from SatNav techologies, are there other providers in India.
Old 30th December 2007, 17:45   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Steer, spadival,

That's why I am looking at non-phone PDA based GPS equipment. But with that I will need maps from SatNav techologies, are there other providers in India.
May I ask why specifically PDA-based? Why dont you go for a PNA like the Mapsofindia Navigator if you want street-level navigation?

If you do not want Turn-by-turn navigation, why look at either of these? You only need a GPS receiver with suitable tracking software, dont you? You're not looking at street navigation, right?

Last edited by Steeroid : 30th December 2007 at 17:47.
Old 30th December 2007, 18:41   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
May I ask why specifically PDA-based? Why dont you go for a PNA like the Mapsofindia Navigator if you want street-level navigation?
Heh, heh. If it is PDA based, I can write my own software if needed. In my company we are already developing software based on NMEA protocol. It is a very simple protocol actually, it keeps spitting out data every second. We have already super imposed those data points on google map to chart out maps. But that's using PC and USB enabled GPS receivers. For my personal use, I want a PDA with inbuilt GPS so that I can play around a bit with that.

But when I am on known major roads, it is good to have GPS navigation.
Old 31st December 2007, 10:52   #53
Senior - BHPian

Samurai, I don't think any of the satguide's maps will be usefull to you - their all India maps are not detailed enough to cover all the roads in your area and their city map list does not include Mangalore/Udipi/Manipal.

Only other alternative is Mapmyindia navigator. However, you cannot add your own tracks and its not very portable. Suppose you go offloading or trekking, there is no app/option in it that will allow you to create custom tracks. Of course, navigator have Windows CE .net as the OS ( Delphi NAV200 Specs. Car GPS (Navigation) Specifications., so I would think you can write your own program to do that. But I wouldnt go around trying to hack this system.
Old 31st December 2007, 11:15   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Of course, navigator have Windows CE .net as the OS ( Delphi NAV200 Specs. Car GPS (Navigation) Specifications., so I would think you can write your own program to do that. But I wouldnt go around trying to hack this system.
I wonder why they dont release a PDA version, then? At least for Windows Mobile PDAs.

Thankfully we are in India where we can still ask for directions - as has been proven in my case, that is probably better than having run behind these guys.

Meanwhile....Samurai you can try GPS Utilities on any GPS-enabled Pocket PC Device. There are trackers galore available for Pocket PC GPS Devices, a lot of them are even freeware. I use GPS Utilities from Efficasoft and Trak Pal from DSE Technology - Home for fun.
Old 31st December 2007, 11:55   #55
Senior - BHPian

There seems to be a lot of vendors selling GPS and related stuff in India. Do we have feedback on them (other than SatNav)

GPS in India | Main / Vendors browse

As an aside, I saw the ad for SatNav today with reduced prices (12K).
Old 1st January 2008, 17:33   #56
Senior - BHPian

This thread has served its purpose and I should see the refund on my card account soon.

I do not wish to carry baggage into the new year. Mods: please lock the thread.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks