Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2008, 10:34   #1

The DVR thread (Digital Video Recorder)

Do any members own "DVR" - (a settop box with digital video recorder having a 80 GB hard disk of Kaon make) from DishTV ?

I have one for the last 1.5 years and the "DVR" has helped us a lot - especially in getting my children to record their favourite channels and view them in "off study" hours.

Since friday morning it shows an error sign "Erro" in the unit and the TV screen hangs after the message "Rebooting ....".

There are others in Pune having the same issue and the DishTV call centre is of no help.

Wanted to know if any members having it in other areas are having this issue too ?
Old 29th January 2008, 02:16   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

DVRs have come to India more than a year back, thats new to me ! How much did you pay for the dishtv DVR? Does Tatasky offer this too?
Old 29th January 2008, 03:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

I'm not sure how the DVRs in India work,but when you receive an error message of some sorts,its usually due to the link with the satellite being lost. It happens often in Houston,thanks to thunderstorms. A reset of the transponder usually fixes the issue,albeit taking upto an hour sometimes.
Old 29th January 2008, 18:26   #4
BHPian

Hi,
I own DVR too for last 1.5 year and so far it was working fine. Even I have the same problem. This is the current workaround that I have figured out.

1. DVR looks up to perticular transponder/frequency for software upgrade when it boots.
2. If it is not able to connect to satellite, it boots anyway.
3. In our case it's able to connect but there is some problem at the DISHTV end that's causing the DVR to hang.

What I did
Called the customer service. They have no idea about DVR. They just asked me to take it to dealer. I really don't have time to do that. So I decided to debug it myself.
1. If you remove the first transponder cable connected to your antenna. DVR thinks that you are not connect to satellite and able to boot.
2. Now connect the transponder cable.
3. Search for all channel, copy it to tuner 2.
4. Now remove the transponder 1 cable forever.

So you loose one tuner but now DVR boots fine. You need to switch tuner once it boot to view your channel. This is only workaround for time being.

Hope it helps.
Old 4th February 2008, 12:16   #5

Thanks rohitrk for that tip, it got rectified from DishTVs end itself and we are back to recording and viewing programmes.

Sahil - The DVR I got was for 18K Rs. with one years subscription and installation etc etc. To the best of my knowledge, unfortunately DishTV has discontinued it. TataSKY too do not have it in their offer.

The advantage I have with the DVR other than recording is that it has a S-Video out and hence the quality of picture on my LCD improves drastically.
Old 14th November 2008, 05:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

Anybody using DVRs in Bangalore. I'd like to get some feedback on which one to go for. Anybody tried TATA Sky's new service SKY+?

DTH ? Tata Sky DTH in India, Leading Satellite Television Provider in India, DTH services by Tata Sky, Direct-to-home, India

Last edited by Mpower : 14th November 2008 at 06:11.
Old 14th November 2008, 14:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hi Mpower, one of our fellow bhpians (WIND) has posted in the DTH thread that he has bought the DVR. He might be able to provide some feedback.
Old 20th November 2008, 11:39   #8
BHPian

Have ordered the + box today - install should be over the week end. Will keep you all posted.
Old 21st November 2008, 06:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Anybody using DVRs with regular cable (ie., without using DTH). Is it necessary to go with cable companies or can you buy DVRs separately.
Old 21st November 2008, 09:50   #10
BHPian

Isn't Tata Sky Plus a DVR?
Old 21st November 2008, 12:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Anybody using DVRs with regular cable (ie., without using DTH). Is it necessary to go with cable companies or can you buy DVRs separately.
You can buy DVRs sperately. However you might want to investigate dreamboxes. The dreambox 600 can be bought with a cable tuner and you can add a 2.5" HDD. If you know anyone who goes to China/Hong Kong then they are quite cheap over there.
Old 21st November 2008, 13:59   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
You can buy DVRs sperately..
which ones are available or could you recommend. I was given to understand by Hathway and Tata that only DVRs purchased from them would allow one to record one program while watching a second.

I have a Panasonic Hard disk recorder that I use via tha RCA (Audio & Video-composite) outs but that has limitations.

Can one use Tivo/Replay DVRs with Tata Sky for example?

Last edited by navin : 21st November 2008 at 14:05.
Old 21st November 2008, 19:53   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
which ones are available or could you recommend. I was given to understand by Hathway and Tata that only DVRs purchased from them would allow one to record one program while watching a second.

I have a Panasonic Hard disk recorder that I use via tha RCA (Audio & Video-composite) outs but that has limitations.

Can one use Tivo/Replay DVRs with Tata Sky for example?
You can get a dreambox 7025 with 2 satellite tuners. Do you know what encryption method Tatasky use in india ? If you can get the right emulator then you can use your sky smart card in the dreambox and fit whatever size IDE drive you want for recordings. Also you could share the smart card via a LAN to other dreamboxes in your house. So you could have one in the bedroom, play room etc and do all this off 1 subscription.
Old 21st November 2008, 21:16   #14
BHPian

TataSky uses NDS in India.

@bigman: Do you know of any reliable dealers in India selling Dreambox? I would be particularly interested in the 7020.
Old 21st November 2008, 22:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
TataSky uses NDS in India.

@bigman: Do you know of any reliable dealers in India selling Dreambox? I would be particularly interested in the 7020.
Same as UK then, you can use your original card in conjunction with ccam 2.09 (I think) to clear NDS. I would go for the 7025+. Best thing is that you can share the card to other dreamboxes (I would use a 7025 (or better) as your pvr and the basic 500 models in other rooms to share the card on the 7025).

Sorry I don't know of any dealers in India. If you google dreambox india you will get a few forum links where you may be able to find a dealer.

Last edited by bigman : 21st November 2008 at 22:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks