Team-BHP - Which UPS to buy ?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Which UPS to buy ? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/35953-ups-buy-17.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoumenD (Post 4486854)
....fan noise specially when you switch it on or off for around a minute ...

Apart from this, How often does the fan switch on? - eg. for an 8 hour usage during a day, there might or might not be a power-cut. So will the fan switch on while the ups is giving backup, or does it switch on many times a day, irrespective of the backup/ powercut.
Many reviews complain about the noisy fan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinhead (Post 4487505)
Apart from this, How often does the fan switch on? - eg. for an 8 hour usage during a day, there might or might not be a power-cut. So will the fan switch on while the ups is giving backup, or does it switch on many times a day, irrespective of the backup/ powercut.
Many reviews complain about the noisy fan.

Well my TV, modem, set top box and PS4 are connected via this, so it's technically switched on whole day while anybody is home. Only once we hit the bed it's switched off . I notice the fan go on only during power cuts and when I switch it on/off at the start/end of day. Runs for a minute usually

Has anybody tried battery chargers for the UPS battery ?

Our UPS setup has 2 batteries, but of late the charge has become non-existent. Wanted to try a charge-up of the battery.

The neighbourhood battery guy took my battery, charged it in on of those professional chargers, and returned it in 6 hours - for 50 bucks. Now it retains a full charge.

I wanted to know - where in Bangalore do we get battery specific Vaseline as the branded one is pretty expensive? Terminals are seeing some corrosion. Is there any other gel?

Quote:

Originally Posted by condor (Post 4508823)
Has anybody tried battery chargers for the UPS battery?

Our UPS setup has 2 batteries, but of late the charge has become non-existent. Wanted to try a charge-up of the battery.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebring (Post 4508836)
I wanted to know - where in Bangalore do we get battery specific Vaseline as the branded one is pretty expensive? Terminals are seeing some corrosion. Is there any other gel?

Thanks, Sebring. For the grease, did you check with the guy who charged your battery ?

He suggested I buy from pharmacy :Frustrati
Quote:

Originally Posted by condor (Post 4508840)
Thanks, Sebring. For the grease, did you check with the guy who charged your battery ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebring (Post 4508856)
He suggested I buy from pharmacy :Frustrati

Lol. Try the "hi fi" high end auto battery dealers.

Quote:

The neighbourhood battery guy took my battery, charged it in on of those professional chargers, and returned it in 6 hours - for 50 bucks. Now it retains a full charge.

And what's wrong with Vaseline. I have been using Vaseline for over a decade in batteries and they work fine. You can use silicone grease, you only get them in large quantiles, I have both and mostly use vaseline.

Quote:

Originally Posted by condor (Post 4508823)
Has anybody tried battery chargers for the UPS battery ?

You should get your UPS checked as under charging the battery will damage it.

For chargers check out the Bosch C7 charger available on Amazon. There are otherf cheaper alternatives available but it's better to buy a high quality part and be done with it once and for all. There's also been a nice price drop from Rs 7K that I paid in early '17 to Rs 5533 currently. Worth the money

Quote:

There's no such thing as battery specific vaseline. Just buy a jar of commercially available petroleum jelly from a chemist/pharmacy. Vaseline is fine. You need a thin coat of the stuff on the terminals so a jar will last you a pretty long time. Alternative is 3M battery terminal spray but I prefer vaseline. Key to preventing corrosion is to avoid overfilling the battery, keep caps tightly closed and to make sure the charging voltage is correct.

Quote:

Originally Posted by R2D2 (Post 4509301)
You should get your UPS checked as under charging the battery will damage it.

Gave the batteries to the battery guy for charging. After 15-16 charge, it is back to square one. No change at all. Either he didnt charge it, or they are bad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by condor (Post 4515739)
Gave the batteries to the battery guy for charging. After 15-16 charge, it is back to square one. No change at all. Either he didnt charge it, or they are bad.

A 12-48 hr charge is normal for large inverter batteries depending on the charge level and battery age/condition.

Before scrapping these expensive batteries do check if they pass the Sp. Gr and load tests.

Hi Guys,

We have a 7 KVA Delta Online UPS to run 20 80AH tubular batteries in our office. We need to have a servo voltage stabilizer in place because of crazy fluctuations in our office line.

Which brand would be the best bet for this? Would prefer an industry leader set up like the Delta UPS. Unfortunately Delta does not seem to make servo stabilizers, else would have got them.

Depends on the voltage range, what are extreme ends of the voltage you are getting?

You will need a 10kva servo stabilizer for your 7kva ups because 7kva connected load, ups efficiency + current for charging batteries are all going to come from output of the servo stabilizer, so you will need at the minimum 10kva stabilizer. Recommended to get 12 to 15kva.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aim120 (Post 4536517)
Depends on the voltage range, what are extreme ends of the voltage you are getting?

You will need a 10kva servo stabilizer for your 7kva ups because 7kva connected load, ups efficiency + current for charging batteries are all going to come from output of the servo stabilizer, so you will need at the minimum 10kva stabilizer. Recommended to get 12 to 15kva.

I have no idea what the voltage ranges are. I do know that fluctuating voltages have tripped the heck out of our online UPS which it is not able to handle.

Yes, 15KVA is what we are going for. We will likely upgrade to a 10 KVA UPS in the future, so the 15KV Servo should take care of this.

I have looked at Krykard - seems like a good and well accepted brand in India.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Liner (Post 4536947)

Yes, 15KVA is what we are going for. We will likely upgrade to a 10 KVA UPS in the future, so the 15KV Servo should take care of this.

I have looked at Krykard - seems like a good and well accepted brand in India.

Servo market is highly unorganized by my experience. There are many local manufacturers showing order copies of major known companies but all hard to believe. Depending on the load, broadly there will be two options, Dry and Oil type and then depending on the winding- Copper or Aluminum prices will vary. Best will be to ask someone some references and then actually verify the same. Most of the food retail outlets like PizzaHut/ Subway/ CCD should have these installed wherever they operated outside of the malls in standalone showrooms. But, do you have so varying voltage that you need the Servo at first place? Like does your A/C does not work in summers? Yoy may need a 3 phase servo depending on the connection you have.