Team-BHP - Which UPS to buy ?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Which UPS to buy ? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/35953-ups-buy-10.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by shwetanshu (Post 2285991)
i have APC 650VA UPS two year old. It doesnt even start normally even if there is power coming. So has the battery conked off or UPS itself is gone?

If the battery is conked off then the UPS will make a continuous beeping sound and the LED indicator will be RED in colour.

To make sure of this condition , disconnect all the connected load and turn on the UPS. If it fails the self test and shows a RED indicator then probably the battery is gone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tj123 (Post 2286124)
If the battery is conked off then the UPS will make a continuous beeping sound and the LED indicator will be RED in colour.

To make sure of this condition , disconnect all the connected load and turn on the UPS. If it fails the self test and shows a RED indicator then probably the battery is gone.

so if the battery is gone, which battery should i go for?

Quote:

Originally Posted by shwetanshu (Post 2286411)

Try to source the APC 9Ah battery from APC ,else it is quite difficult to source a 9 Ah battery from outside as no Indian manufacturer makes it these days.
Regarding battery make and models availabe read the previous posts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunrise (Post 2286060)
Saw an offer going on- UPS from APC with Exide battery. 850 VA and price is about 12K. Not sure if this is a good deal? What to check for in this - i hope i can get some guidance as very new to this. I heard that tubular batteries are better and preferred.

12K for a 850VA is too much. Are you referring to a home inverter? If yes, then you can go in for a Microtek or Su Kam that will cost you less.

BTW, a UPS is used for PCs and home electronics. Inverters are for general household backup supply. 2 different things though they perform the same function.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shwetanshu (Post 2286411)

You will not get a 9AH. Go in for an Amaron Quanta or Chloride (Exide) Safepower 7AH batteries. You get a few minutes less runtime on battery compared with 9AH

Wouldn't using a 7AH battery in place of a 9 AH battery result in overcharging and consequent battery damage / overheating?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR (Post 2293494)
Wouldn't using a 7AH battery in place of a 9 AH battery result in overcharging and consequent battery damage / overheating?

No it will not. UPS charging circuits are microprocessor controlled and automatically compensate, some even for ambient temperature.

Also, the voltage of 2 fully charged batteries of the same type (VRLA/SLA/SLI/Spiral) and chemistry (CA/CA, SB/CA, SB/SB, Gel cell) is equal regardless of size. Voltages at 100% state of charge vary from 12.66 to 13.3v depending on type/chemistry. UPS batteries referred to below have a fully charged voltage of about 13.3-13.6v @ 27 Cel.

For e.g. the voltage of fully charged car battery (say Exide Matrix) of 32 AH commonly used in M800s, is the same as a Exide Matrix 45AH used in the Altis or Civic/Accord. It is around 12.78 @ 27 deg C. The recommended constant current charging rates vary from 2.5 to 4A depending on the battery model.

All that said, it is very important to match the charger to the type of battery. You cannot fit a gel cell VRLA battery to a car whose alt is set up to charge maintenance free or low maintenance batteries. Charging voltages differ by battery chemistry. VRLA batts have higher charge voltages.

Regards,

In continuation to my previous post #123, I found the reason why my APC 650VA UPS was not giving a sufficient backup with a new 7 Ah Exide battery actually the problem was that I never clicked on the “battery replaced” option, as actually as soon as I did that immediately the backup time of around 45 minutes showed up.
Recently I have upgraded to Windows 7 hence I updated the power chute software version also. So guys learning’s if you are replacing the original APC 9Ah battery with 7 Ah then ensure that you are using the right version of the software and secondly click on battery replaced option. Hope this will be useful for others, I learned the hard way.

Hi Friends,

How is APC Smart-UPS 750VA?
I am planning to Buy one for my Home PC. The Output is Sine wave.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurudatta Nayak (Post 2434481)
Hi Friends,

How is APC Smart-UPS 750VA?
I am planning to Buy one for my Home PC. The Output is Sine wave.

APC UPS are generally good and hassel free , and I am using 650VA version since last 3 years, however I must mention that the original piece which I bought conked off withing 15 days , APC replaced the defective UPS under warranty.

After that there was absolutley no problem ,my woes started once the original battery conked off as I was not able to procure the original 9Ah battery from the open market. Looks like no major manufacturere makes them in India nowadays. Replaced it with a 7Ah exide, so have to compromised on the backup time.

APC support after warranty is not that great, but ya its improving.

I had been to APC Dealer today. He Quoted me 9k (Inc. Vat) for SUA750i Model with Standard 2 years repair or replace APC Warranty.

He has Couple of brand new UPS for Sale at discounted rate*, the External packing/Box is damaged due to rains. There are some minor scratches on the UPS which is Acceptable.

He is offered me SUA750i for 3K (incl. Vat) with 2 years Std. Warranty from APC + all Std. Accessories.

Is it worth buying that Discounted APC UPS at 33.33% of the Original Cost?

*- Discount offered by APC India.

I purchased a Luminous UPS 600 VA for my home PC on November 2010 for Rs 2000 (MRP Rs 2399) and it stopped working in January 2011. Got a replacement unit and on a fine day in June started emitting smoke and I left it at the dealer. After three weeks got a call from the dealer to take it immediately. When i asked about the defect and rectification done the guy told that keep it in thehouse and the service technician would come and attend to it later. Got in touch with the sales manager of the dealership and at his intervention got it repaired after a week. The battery was replaced was the new answer. Is working fine for the last couple of days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tj123 (Post 2434545)
APC support after warranty is not that great, but ya its improving.

agree: I gave it for repair as it stopped working. It works fine, but it gives alarm with all lights blinking in random if the UPS and AC power are switched off. So I have to keep the AC power switched on all the time.

I've been using APC UPSes since 2004 (only two models though, Back-UPS ES 500 and RS 550) and I've always felt something lacking.

ES 500 - It was an excellent product, feature-wise, but was very susceptible to damage due to voltage fluctuations. To its credit, it has kept all devices connected to it safe. But its PCB was replaced two times, and the UPS itself was replaced 2-3 times under the warranty period.

Initially, the service was amazing - lodge a complaint, and the engineer comes from Chandigarh (60 km away) the very next day, replaces the PCB in 30 minutes. After that, they started replacing UPSes, the first time they sent in a new one!

But subsequently, they started replacing them with the refurbished ones, and they often switched the models and it was a pain getting them to send to correct one, and also the replacement UPSes were not in the pristine shape my UPS had been in. Lots of scratches, dulled body - you get the idea.

RS 550 - Battery life reduced from 13 minutes to less than 2 in just one year. I did discharge the battery completely a couple of times, though. The battery isn't user replaceable, but being me, I couldn't help ripping it apart, and I found that the only thing preventing me from replacing the battery is the body design, which requires the UPS to be torn apart.

Another problem that has cropped up with the 550 is that if the battery is drained (it doesn't last long enough to allow a shutdown if I click on the shutdown button within 10 seconds of power failure and switch off the monitor, so battery is drained after every power failure), it becomes extra sensitive to overloading till the self-test ends, till the battery is recharged.

So, if the battery is drained, and power is restored, and I switch on both the monitor and CPU before the self test is completed, it starts beeping madly (sign of overloading) and then I have to restart the UPS, wait for the self-test to be completed, and then turn on my stuff.

Plus, the power outlets have been reduced to 2 (the ES 500 had 4 outlets), the number of features has been drastically reduced (the ES 500 connected to the PC using USB and you could program it using the software provided). But maybe that's justified, because the RS550 was priced at Rs. 2k in 2009, and the ES 500 was expensive than that, and that was in 2004.

TL: DR - My experience with APC hasn't been very good lately, so if you have a good experience with some other manufacturer, I'd recommend you stick with it.

Was quoted Rs.2,250 for APC UPS model - BR600CI-IN.
Meant for one Desktop PC.
Is this UPS good?, Anyone here uses this model?

Hi,

Can anyone suggest a solution for 5-10 mins backup for internet wi-fi modem? The apartment has gen backup but by the time gen turns on the internet modem goes off and takestime to function again.

Thanks

VW