Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2008, 22:31   #1
BHPian

Nokia N82, anyone?

How is the Nokia N82, has anyone actually bought it and used it for a while? Can owners provide some hands on info?

I have read the reviews online but want to know specifically from actual owners - whether its worth buying and is typing SMS difficult due to the small keys?
Old 25th March 2008, 22:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
How is the Nokia N82, has anyone actually bought it and used it for a while? Can owners provide some hands on info?

I have read the reviews online but want to know specifically from actual owners - whether its worth buying and is typing SMS difficult due to the small keys?
I have it for last 3 months and I have been very happy. If you are a heavy SMS user, then this phone is a bad idea. For occasional SMS, it isn't much of a problem.

I bought N82 for its fantastic camera (5MP & Xenon flash) and to some extent for its GPS. It has been a great experience so far. The camera is really useful for most of the P&S kinda situations.

If xenon flash in the camera isn't very important to you, I would recommend N95 8GB instead of N82.
Old 26th March 2008, 00:30   #3
aZa
Senior - BHPian

I've been using it for roughly 3months too. Just love the phone, main USP of the phone is the XENON flash and its the biggest flash among camera phones. Software wise the phone is exactly similar to N95 8GiG! I sms a lot and i've gotten used to the small metal keys so no problem there. Accelerometer is another fun and veryyyyyyyy usefull feature. there are tons of applications available based on this accelerometer. Things like when a new sms is recieved you just need to shake the phone and the phone unlocks and shows u the sms. shake it again to exit the messaging app and keylock the phone.

Other noticable features

GPS
Homeserver
Tv out
3.5mm jack
128MB RAM !

Someone on one of the cellphone forums actually openned 75 applications on N82 simultaneously and STILL the phone didn't hang.
Old 26th March 2008, 00:34   #4
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
there are tons of applications available based on this accelerometer. Things like when a new sms is recieved you just need to shake the phone and the phone unlocks and shows u the sms. shake it again to exit the messaging app and keylock the phone.
Wow, what is it called? I have not yet explored my fone to the fullest. But I love the N82!
Old 26th March 2008, 00:40   #5
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Arrey F50 check out the HOME SERVER application if you have wifi on your home PC! You can share files/videos/pics/music all over wifi ...very cool!

And that application is called ShakeSMS, there is one SHAKELOCK too. All these are freeware so there shouldn't be any copyright issues posting here
Old 26th March 2008, 08:29   #6
BHPian

Awesome! Now I am getting more tempted to buy it! Hows the battery life?

I will be using it for a lot of messaging, @hondadude, it would be great if I could see your handset, since you are in Bangalore too. Can you please PM me your mobile number and area where you live...maybe we can meet up in the evening?

Last edited by gopz : 26th March 2008 at 08:30.
Old 26th March 2008, 08:31   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
If xenon flash in the camera isn't very important to you, I would recommend N95 8GB instead of N82.
What are the additional features of N95 8GB over the N82? Apart from the bigger screen? Why do you recommend it?
Old 26th March 2008, 11:15   #8
aZa
Senior - BHPian

N95 8GIG has 2.8" screen, the difference isn't much on paper but visually N95 8GIG's screen is huge! Other than this the 8GIG memory, dedicated music buttons and IR!

Nokia N82's screen rotates on its own when u turn it on its side (portrait/landscape) but i think for N95 u need to slide it the other way to make it go landscape. Although both have accelerometers but still you need an aftermarket application like RotateME for n95
Old 26th March 2008, 16:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What are the additional features of N95 8GB over the N82? Apart from the bigger screen? Why do you recommend it?
The screen is really good. The keypad is better if you do a lot of SMS and it has 8GB instead of 2GB of N82. For me, camera was important and that is why I chose N82.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz
I will be using it for a lot of messaging, @hondadude, it would be great if I could see your handset, since you are in Bangalore too. Can you please PM me your mobile number and area where you live...maybe we can meet up in the evening?
I will PM you my cell phone number.
Old 26th March 2008, 16:27   #10
BHPian

Thanks @hondadude

Hmm, I sure do a lot of messaging. Now im confused! N95 (2GB) or N82? Or should I save myself some money and get an E51?

I do not require a good camera but I do need WiFi, Symbian OS and a good keypad for SMS. Any other suggestions?
Old 26th March 2008, 22:07   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks @hondadude

Hmm, I sure do a lot of messaging. Now im confused! N95 (2GB) or N82? Or should I save myself some money and get an E51?

I do not require a good camera but I do need WiFi, Symbian OS and a good keypad for SMS. Any other suggestions?
Buddy if you are a big time music lover (u should know ur music clarity) / movie watcher on cell phones go for the N95, else dont. N82 is good piece, had it for for few months...
I am curently using N95 8gb... and using it to the core.
Old 26th March 2008, 23:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

There are issues with screen brightness in N82 that have been doing rounds and this is whats stopping me from buying this phone. What about it guys? Any suggestions or feedbacks?
Old 27th March 2008, 09:40   #13
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Used all features of N82 since 1st Jan 2008

I have been using my Nokia N82 since 1st January 2008.
It's a great phone.

Nokia N82, anyone?-nokian8301jan2008.jpg
pic. taken on Tue. 1st Jan 2008

Downloaded free software that lets me watch YouTube flashvideos.
I have a great many of my favorite Hindi film songs (videos) of the 1960s and 1970s.

In fact, I have even connected the N82 to my home TV to show my photographs and videos to my family and friends on the big screen.

I spent a month in Germany early this year and browsed the Web using the Nokia N82 at 3½G UMTS speeds in Germany.

Having grabbed 40% of the world market, Nokia is the world's top producer of cell phones. Unable to bear the competition, Motorola had to exit the mobile phone business.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...tml#post673292
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...tml#post673623
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...tml#post674221
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...tml#post674261
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...tml#post675542
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...tml#post675545
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...tml#post678133

Ram
Old 27th March 2008, 10:17   #14
BHPian

Thanks @ram. I checked out a dummy piece at The Mobile Store, but the keypad was really uncomfortable for me.
Old 27th March 2008, 10:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

@all... guys any answer to my query?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks