Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2008, 19:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeks View Post
thanks all for the pointers, but unfortunately none of the KProxy/similar stuff work here (we used to do that before)... I always had the trump card of google translate working, not happy that I could not log in to the forum. I work around with the IP address of lots of sites which they block (as they block it with key words as music, forum etc etc.. )

As a matter of fact, this was been the effort from a senseless sys-admin (newly joined) who is trying to act smart saying that such hits does clog down the bandwidth, where in he will never be able to resolve the underlying problem by blocking even all the webpages (he isn't as smart as he feels -- there was no positives with bandwidth even after all these blocks). I do not want to raise such things to the management if there are some small work arounds which will fool him, and will not create much differences for him to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Try this program. A small utility which I used to use in Dubai to bypass Etisalat proxy as they had blocked Orkut
AnchorFree
Have you tried this yet?
Old 18th April 2008, 19:27   #17
BHPian

System admins blocking TBHP has a bitter-sweet effect on us. If any of you have suggestions for working around this, please use the Contact Us form.

Also, did you try accessing Team-BHP with an httpS as Vid has suggested?
Old 18th April 2008, 19:28   #18
BHPian

bhaiyo aur unki pyaari behano -- agar office mein TBHP browse karoge to kaam kab karoge --

point is -- the IT security guys sniff around for these things across all work places to ensure highest productivity of all the donkeys ( employees -- i am on of them too :-( ) in the workplace
Old 18th April 2008, 20:24   #19
BANNED

And ours is a company that makes similar devices to enforce similar rules at similar environments, schools & colleges included Hehe...

But every damn site is available at my office though
Old 18th April 2008, 20:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

If a company is using a smart web filtering tool like the ContentBlocker or WebSense, none of the above solutions would work. If a site is blocked, it's blocked.

Well, admin folks in my company recently blocked T-Bhp. And you know what, I have a legal workaround for accessing any site.

However, this workaround do not allow you to see the page in a normal browser window. If any of you use Opera Mini for mobile phones, you know what I am talking about.

There's an Opera mini simulator which can be run in a normal web browser like IE sitting in your office, and this simulator can browse to any page. This is provided for web developers and people interested in installing the mini on their phone to get a sneak peak into how the Opera mini would show web pages on mobiles. But I use it to browse the entire web!!

How does it work: Opera Mini only communicates to their own server, and receives pre-processed web pages via a protocol called OBML : Opera Binary Markup Language.

Last edited by clevermax : 18th April 2008 at 20:44.
Old 18th April 2008, 21:36   #21
BHPian

I'm not sure about other firewalls, but companies which use SonicWall (mine does), you never should directly punch in the web address in the address bar.

Always type the website you need to go to in Google and then click on the link, this way the website does not show up on the list which the IT guy is scouting or most eager to block. I have survived for about a year now cause as soon as I get my Notebook into the office wireless network, Sonic starts acting and I cant access Orkut and similar sites..

it has been lucky that i practise the Google way and never got T-BHP fall into the eyes of IT Admins
Old 19th April 2008, 13:38   #22
BHPian

i too had sonicwall in my previous organisation. most of the proxy sites were blocked as well.
i used to use the translate option from google, (english to english) and it used to work. Worth a try, not sure if it would still work, that was almost 7-8 months back.
Old 19th April 2008, 18:34   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
If a company is using a smart web filtering tool like the ContentBlocker or WebSense, none of the above solutions would work. If a site is blocked, it's blocked.

Well, admin folks in my company recently blocked T-Bhp. And you know what, I have a legal workaround for accessing any site.
Using Cell is a good option if you have a cell phone with decent screen size...

Regarding, "content filters"... yes they will work (I.e. block t-bhp) if site is being accessed through http / https. Now there can be a workaround for even that gimme some time to prepare a howto.
Old 19th April 2008, 18:46   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeks View Post
I have ran into a funny problem. The sys-admin in my place had blocked T-BHP with his sonicwall firewall after seeing many a hits from me and my other auto loving colleagues who found this forum very informative. I somehow found a work around to get into T-BHP, but can not log in from there. I tried to get in with the IP address of T-BHP with which I can reach the main page/ web; but that idiot seems to have blocked the key word "Forum".. Has anyone faced similar issues at their work? If so what was the workaround..

Mods: Please move or merge or point me in case a similar thread exists.
I haven't gone through all the replies.
But one thing which i can recommend (assuming that you have a laptop which you take along to your home, or your computer in office is accessible to you only)
GO FOR "your freedom"
It is a great tool which i have been using since the last 3 yrs. 1st at my college and then in office.

In case you need more details on how to get started feel free to PM me.

P.S. AFAIK your freedom routes the data in such a manner that it is incomprehensible by average internal IT guys.

Last edited by motorheadinc : 19th April 2008 at 18:48.
Old 19th April 2008, 18:51   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Same thing at my work place. They blocked all sites after upgrading to a better sonicwall firewall. Team-bhp also got blocked. But somehow they missed out on https only http was blocked.

They also blocked proxies based on hits in a week. We made a hues and cry as almost every other site was blocked. Today onwards they have opened up most sites but they say are monitoring usage to see if any non productive sites are being accessed and this will be reported to management.

hopefully they wont be able to catch me on team-bhp as I'm the only person accessing from 200 employees.

Maybe the other 199 are also thinking on the same lines
Old 19th April 2008, 20:55   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Using Cell is a good option if you have a cell phone with decent screen size...

Regarding, "content filters"... yes they will work (I.e. block t-bhp) if site is being accessed through http / https. Now there can be a workaround for even that gimme some time to prepare a howto.
Netfreak, my solution does not require a cell if you clearly read my post...

BTW, Looking forward for your How to post.
Old 27th March 2017, 21:05   #27
BHPian

Re: Office Firewall blocks Team-BHP - Proxying Team-BHP?

I have one simple working solution for this. Just install​ Opera browser on your system as it has inbuilt unlimited free VPN. Go to it's Settings > Privacy Settings.

There you will see an option to enable VPN. Turn it on. VPN will start connecting. If this doesn't works, simply enable Opera Turbo. Happy browsing!
Old 15th November 2017, 10:53   #28
Senior - BHPian

A fellow member is having trouble accessing T-BHP from his Macbook and phone.

He gets the following image when he tries to access 'reviews' from T-Bhp home page on his phone and notebook at his office.

Home page is not loading at all on the notebook, but is on his phone, however when clicked on 'reviews', he gets this image.
Attached Thumbnails
Office Firewall blocks Team-BHP - Proxying Team-BHP?-d51ce25fb6e24d2eb247d717a9f8456a.jpg  

Old 15th November 2017, 13:33   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
He gets the following image when he tries to access 'reviews' from T-Bhp home page on his phone and notebook at his office.

Home page is not loading at all on the notebook, but is on his phone, however when clicked on 'reviews', he gets this image.
Could you ask him to check again...

Hopefully this should be resolved now.
Old 16th November 2017, 04:54   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Hopefully this should be resolved now.
All good now. Thank you.

Most Viewed