Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2008, 18:49   #1

Office Firewall blocks Team-BHP - Proxying Team-BHP?

Mod Note: Please refer to our FAQ entry for the same. Might just solve the issue

I have ran into a funny problem. The sys-admin in my place had blocked T-BHP with his sonicwall firewall after seeing many a hits from me and my other auto loving colleagues who found this forum very informative. I somehow found a work around to get into T-BHP, but can not log in from there. I tried to get in with the IP address of T-BHP with which I can reach the main page/ web; but that idiot seems to have blocked the key word "Forum".. Has anyone faced similar issues at their work? If so what was the workaround..

Mods: Please move or merge or point me in case a similar thread exists.

Last edited by GTO : 21st November 2013 at 11:57. Reason: Adding link to FAQ entry :)
Old 16th April 2008, 19:00   #2
BHPian

If they have blocked it via proxy, you can use KPROXY - Free Anonymous Web Proxy - Anonymous Proxy to bypass the proxy server. I was using it earlier but my IT deparment has now blocked this site too.
Old 16th April 2008, 19:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Try this program. A small utility which I used to use in Dubai to bypass Etisalat proxy as they had blocked Orkut
AnchorFree
Old 16th April 2008, 19:15   #4
BHPian

There are many proxy sites one can use to surf blocked sites, K-proxy as mentioned above. If one proxy is blocked we have the other ones(google baba will help) which can be used, then another then another.. and wait till all are blocked. Have tried all of them in college where all the sites are blocked, even the forensic ones...

Otherwise the one another solution, use Gpass works like charm..
Old 16th April 2008, 19:17   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Try this program. A small utility which I used to use in Dubai to bypass Etisalat proxy as they had blocked Orkut
AnchorFree
Nishant
I just read through the page and all this is, is a VPN utility to secure your Wireless connection ...

OP try Kproxy.com or on google search for Proxy... in most cases this would be blocked...my company has youtube & facebook blocked along with proxy sites like kproxy.
Old 16th April 2008, 19:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcanthisbe View Post
Nishant
I just read through the page and all this is, is a VPN utility to secure your Wireless connection ...

OP try Kproxy.com or on google search for Proxy... in most cases this would be blocked...my company has Youtube & facebook blocked along with proxy sites like kproxy.
Naturally, most companies would block proxy sites along with blocking the primary site which is a proving to be a diversion.

Quote:
AnchorFree
I know it is a VPN utility. However, I think you missed my post where I said "...which I used to use in Dubai to bypass Etisalat proxy as they had blocked Orkut"

If you happen to know the censorship issue in UAE, they have blocked all possible proxy servers/sites/softwares etc through which you can access social networking sites et al.

However, Anchor Free was the ONLY software which still works like a charm. Try it and I am sure you wont be disappointed. Infact, I used the same software to access Skype and other VOIP applications, which were banned/blocked in Dubai. These, you cannot access through proxy servers also, BTW

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 16th April 2008 at 19:25.
Old 16th April 2008, 19:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

If your company is blocking sites, then they sure will be blocking proxy sites as well.

Shreeks, please do not go against your company policy. Please get into this proxy work-around only if you are sure it will not lead to any serious issues.
Old 16th April 2008, 19:34   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by setuniket View Post
There are many proxy sites one can use to surf blocked sites, K-proxy as mentioned above. If one proxy is blocked we have the other ones(google baba will help) which can be used, then another then another.. and wait till all are blocked. Have tried all of them in college where all the sites are blocked, even the forensic ones...

Otherwise the one another solution, use Gpass works like charm..

BLOCKED :(
Quote:
Naturally, most companies would block proxy sites along with blocking the primary site which is a proving to be a diversion.

I know it is a VPN utility. However, I think you missed my post where I said "...which I used to use in Dubai to bypass Etisalat proxy as they had blocked Orkut"

If you happen to know the censorship issue in UAE, they have blocked all possible proxy servers/sites/softwares etc through which you can access social networking sites et al.

However, Anchor Free was the ONLY software which still works like a charm. Try it and I am sure you wont be disappointed. Infact, I used the same software to access Skype and other VOIP applications, which were banned/blocked in Dubai. These, you cannot access through proxy servers also, BTW
So essentialy on my work PC if i install this piece of SW i can get to facebook ?
Old 16th April 2008, 19:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcanthisbe View Post
BLOCKED :(

So essentialy on my work PC if i install this piece of SW i can get to facebook ?
Try it and let us know!
Old 16th April 2008, 20:03   #10
Team-BHP Support

Same thing at my work place. They blocked all sites after upgrading to a better sonicwall firewall. Team-bhp also got blocked. But somehow they missed out on https only http was blocked.

They also blocked proxies based on hits in a week. We made a hues and cry as almost every other site was blocked. Today onwards they have opened up most sites but they say are monitoring usage to see if any non productive sites are being accessed and this will be reported to management.

hopefully they wont be able to catch me on team-bhp as I'm the only person accessing from 200 employees.
Old 16th April 2008, 23:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

@shreeks, since team-bhp is blocked, i guess all the proxy sites would obviously have been blocked.

But, i think i have a solution for this problem.

1. Go to AltaVista - Babel Fish Translation and under the translate a webpage type the web address you desire to open.
2. Select the from and to language as x to english where x can be french, chinese, etc. (I used French).
3. Hit the translate button and wait to see the magic.

I used this technique to open all the newspaper sites at L & T Infotech, fortunately team-bhp was not blocked there

Last edited by safari_lover : 16th April 2008 at 23:09.
Old 16th April 2008, 23:18   #12
Senior - BHPian

Actually this thread is some food for thought for our Mods. Though i am not a IT person, there are certificates for each and every website that a NW Server recognizes and blocks or allows it. What does tBHP have (if there is one), and can it be upgraded or changed to make this a universal site just like google. I am not sure if its related to money or not. Someone please throw some light on my inference. If I am wrong, I can be corrected.
Old 17th April 2008, 11:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

opened babelfish, and tried on imdb, but tha is again getting blocked. all the proxy sites are getting blocked
Old 17th April 2008, 11:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

One solution is to open a account in any site that gives you:

1. Free web space
2. PHP support

(Or buy it from a hosting provider that is almost free)

And then install something like freshmeat.net: Project details for PHP-proxy

And you have your own https proxy...
Old 18th April 2008, 18:55   #15

thanks all for the pointers, but unfortunately none of the KProxy/similar stuff work here (we used to do that before)... I always had the trump card of google translate working, not happy that I could not log in to the forum. I work around with the IP address of lots of sites which they block (as they block it with key words as music, forum etc etc.. )

As a matter of fact, this was been the effort from a senseless sys-admin (newly joined) who is trying to act smart saying that such hits does clog down the bandwidth, where in he will never be able to resolve the underlying problem by blocking even all the webpages (he isn't as smart as he feels -- there was no positives with bandwidth even after all these blocks). I do not want to raise such things to the management if there are some small work arounds which will fool him, and will not create much differences for him to me.

Most Viewed