Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2008, 20:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

Nokia phonebook mystery

OK, this might seem a bit strange but I have not been able to get a clear answer/solution to this since the last 4 months.

I have a Nokia E61i, since Jan 2008. Prior to this I had a Nokia E50. I transferred all my contacts (phonebook) via Nokia PC Suite application when I bought the new phone. All messages, settings, bookmarks, songs, videos - everything got transferred verbatim.

Everything works well except 2 numbers. Strangely, these 2 are my most received calls i.e. my Delhi home landline number (MTNL) and my Mumbai home landline number (Airtel).

No matter how I store the 2 numbers, it always shows up as just the number, and not the name tag.

I have tried re-naming both to different names, just in case the "Home" is creating a conflict (ideally it should not). But it doesnt show the name tag.

I tried to store the number in different format i.e. 011-<number> and also +9111<number> (which is how I usually store all my other numbers). Still it doesn't show up.

I even tried to store them as different number tags. Nokia allows this facility. So I store it as Telephone or Mobile or Mobile (Home) or Telephone (Home). Zilch result.

In short, whatever way I have tried, I have never got the phone to read the associated name tag when the number calls.

I had formatted the phone initially to upgrade the software, right after purchase but not anytime after that.

I even deleted the 2 entries and re-entered. Even tried to store via the Call Log menu (i.e. from Missed/Received/Dialed numbers).

What could possibly be the problem? What could be the solution?

Strangely, it happens only with these 2 numbers

Is there anything called a soft formatting? Are there any chances of data loss in it?
Old 17th April 2008, 20:10   #2
Team-BHP Support

funny. even i get the same problem with my n95 on one number.i havent figured out what the problem is.

soft formatting is done by pressing *#7370# . it is like resetting to factory settings. all data is lost.
Old 17th April 2008, 20:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

I thought *#7370# was for hard reset. Isnt there a low level formatting option?
Old 17th April 2008, 20:21   #4

Same thing happened to me; spend some time to figure out the solution:

If a ‘number’ is stored in 2 different ‘names’ it will not display the ‘Name’ for any of the entries, so delete one or better both the entries and recreate the number with new entry, works fine for me.

Check your phonebook and find the other entry.

Hope this helps.
Old 17th April 2008, 20:33   #5
BHPian

I had the same problem on my E51. one of my friends number always got displayed as a number and not his name. Finally could solve the issue when I realized that I had stored the same number accidently in another contacts name.

Check all your contacts, If the number is stored in 2 different names, it will not show up as a contact.
Old 17th April 2008, 20:33   #6
Team-BHP Support

nope. hard format is when you put off your phone. press the # key, 3 button, green call key, and then keep the power button pressed.
Old 17th April 2008, 20:34   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I thought *#7370# was for hard reset. Isnt there a low level formatting option?
Yes that will format the phone and you will loose all your data. Make sure you backup before you use that string.
Old 17th April 2008, 20:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutra View Post
Same thing happened to me; spend some time to figure out the solution:

If a ‘number’ is stored in 2 different ‘names’ it will not display the ‘Name’ for any of the entries, so delete one or better both the entries and recreate the number with new entry, works fine for me.

Check your phonebook and find the other entry.

Hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guzzler View Post
I had the same problem on my E51. one of my friends number always got displayed as a number and not his name. Finally could solve the issue when I realized that I had stored the same number accidently in another contacts name.

Check all your contacts, If the number is stored in 2 different names, it will not show up as a contact.
AFAIK, it should not be stored as 2 entries. But will stick check. The thought of going through 500+ entries in my phone book is scaring me!

Is there a chance of this happening because the said no is part of a caller group, or has a specific ring tone attached to it, or is associated to a speed dial? I guess not, but still checking.

EDIT: A funny thing I noticed is that even when I call the said number manually e.g. 011-number or 022-number,it doesnt recall the name tag from the phone book. Why so?

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 17th April 2008 at 20:50.
Old 17th April 2008, 20:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

formatting the phone and restoring it back to factory state is hard reset. Switching it off and on to release any blocked memory is soft reset.
Old 17th April 2008, 20:47   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
formatting the phone and restoring it back to factory state is hard reset. Switching it off and on to release any blocked memory is soft reset.
actually the 7370 is a soft format and the other thing i mentioned is a hard format.
Old 17th April 2008, 20:48   #11
BHPian

Like some of you have mentioned it is a problem when the same number is stored under multiple names. Sometimes it happens accidentally. If you use the latest phone software (in the phone) you might have the "Nokia Search" software. It comes with N95 firmware version 20.x.x.x. I guess it should be available in E Series as well. In that case you can use this feature and type the numbers and it will bring up the different names under which the numbers are stored.

Hope this helps!
Old 17th April 2008, 20:48   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutra View Post
If same number is stored in 2 different ‘names’ it will not display the ‘Name’ for any of the entries
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guzzler View Post
I second this.
What happens, when you dial either of these numbers on your mobile? Does it display the name or number?
Old 17th April 2008, 20:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
I second this.
What happens, when you dial either of these numbers on your mobile? Does it display the name or number?
It displays just the number.
Old 17th April 2008, 21:08   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
It displays just the number.
I think that same number is saved with 2 names. Please check it.
Old 17th April 2008, 21:09   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

100% that number is saved twice under 2 different names.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks