Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2008, 19:03   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxtechie View Post
No intended pun, but Norton suck big time... they are resource hog and are inefficient at virus scanning.
Actually Norton products and even books used to be great, I was a big fan of Peter Norton. Then Symantec bought them and it has been downhill since the last 15 years or so. Anybody remembers Norton Utilities, Norton Editor,etc., they were fantastic.

Having NAV on your PC is like having a pair of bouncers at each door inside your home. They stop you from functioning normally in the name of security. They should rename Norton Anti-Virus as George W Bush administration.
Old 11th May 2008, 19:24   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I have to bring data from my Computer Lab where there are hell lot of viruses. Our entire server crashed 3 times in a month. Basically those who can misuse the excellent resources of the lab, do with clockwork precesion, that too swiss watch.
I think the only time I got a virus within the last 2 years was through an USB drive. I feel your pain, buddy. If you have any control/power in your lab make them get something like deep-freeze software. There are also PCI cards that do the same, which I have seen in my friend's cyber cafe. This should help keep the nodes clean, but you can still get infected through USB drives. Setting proper permissions levels for students is the only way to reduce such incidents.

Quote:
Avast was overall not the ultimate solution, and the interface in free version was tricky and not that user friendly. It was OK for me, but sometimes other family members also use my pc and if they wanted to scan a USB HDD or pen drive, it wasnt excellent. So switch to AVG. I am planning to buy Kespersky though.
Yeah, I agree that the interface is not that good. But I personally like it. Maybe it is because after 3 or 4 years, I have grown used to it.

Quote:
Reinstalling the ghost image will take 10-15 mins and with it comes all my installed softwares, whereas complete reformat will cost me 1.5 hours!
It took me about 20 or 25 minutes to take my Ghost image of C:\. About 10 Gb of data. Had to re-install just once, and I think it took around 5 minutes.

Quote:
Great move by GreenHorn and you. Is there any reasonable performance benefit if OS is left without AntiVirus?
I have not gone without antivirus for long. It depends hugely on your ISP, I think. During the times of the virus that used to shutdown our system via RPC, I logged onto one ISP and got infected within 30 secs. Did a reinstall (hadnt taken a Ghost image), logged on through another ISP and downloaded antivirus

Quote:
I am using Ghost for sata drives. By the way, which version of Ghost do you use?
Me too. Havent had problems with SATA drives. I have been using Ghost before version 8, I think. Havent used new versions. I have got this on the Techies Toolkit live cd.
Old 11th May 2008, 19:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

when I didnt have a router, i needed to have a firewall. First i used zonealarm, then netlimiter pro.But now i have a router , I use its built in firewall
Heck, the day i lent my router to a friend and connected to my modem direct, my pc was pwned in 10~15 minutes. A firewall is a necessity. most antivirus comes with a firewall, so most people dont notice...

switch to linux for your server mate , its free and a lot more secure. Even I boot to linux if i just need to listen to music and surf. And compiz is fun !

Last edited by greenhorn : 11th May 2008 at 19:41.
Old 11th May 2008, 23:10   #19
Senior - BHPian

I use lot of things, including a PE bootable made by myself. Its kinda my job you see.
i use Acronis True Image enterprise server, instead of ghost.
Old 12th May 2008, 22:34   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
I have been using Ghost before version 8, I think. Havent used new versions. I have got this on the Techies Toolkit live cd.
Hmm am using Acronis, found it much better and stable compared to ghost, if I stand correct right now they are offering free versions for download.

~LT
Old 13th May 2008, 23:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
I use lot of things, including a PE bootable made by myself. Its kinda my job you see.
i use Acronis True Image enterprise server, instead of ghost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxtechie View Post
Hmm am using Acronis, found it much better and stable compared to ghost, if I stand correct right now they are offering free versions for download.

~LT

Will try Acronis, definately, and hope to find that less less than ghost.
My version is very old and sometimes it gets really trick and difficult. May I get more review about version ?
Old 15th May 2008, 01:21   #22
Senior - BHPian

if you do not have expereince in creating bootable PE, you can download hiren bootable iso. Search through google, they are very useful.
Old 15th May 2008, 01:27   #23
BHPian

OT : if you had a indian calling you from the support team, you probably talked to someone from Cochin.
Old 15th May 2008, 02:55   #24
BHPian

Guys i need some help on this. I'm pretty new to these things and never liked the technicalities much.

Recently I have got a New Sony Vaio laptop and the 30 day trail of Norton has expired on it. I really think Norton is a pain and dont want to install it.

My job actually has me on many new websites everyday and I dont want to take the risk of getting my notebook infected.

My query is, can i use the free version of AVG for about 60 days or more as temporary measure? I really dont want to spend anything right now as i have some budgetary constraints. If yes, do I have to delete Norton software off my comp before downloading AVG to it?

Help me out guys..
Old 15th May 2008, 08:45   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsaLove View Post
Guys i need some help on this. I'm pretty new to these things and never liked the technicalities much.

Recently I have got a New Sony Vaio laptop and the 30 day trail of Norton has expired on it. I really think Norton is a pain and dont want to install it.

My job actually has me on many new websites everyday and I dont want to take the risk of getting my notebook infected.

My query is, can i use the free version of AVG for about 60 days or more as temporary measure? I really dont want to spend anything right now as i have some budgetary constraints. If yes, do I have to delete Norton software off my comp before downloading AVG to it?

Help me out guys..
The free anti Virus from AVG has validity of 30 days. after 30 days there wont be any warnings, but the updates will not be proper. Free AVG is one of the best antivirus I have used. I am student and have to bring a lot of data from college computer labs through pen drives. AVG has been very effecient.
If you want to avoid using AVG, you can have AVAST, but the interface in the avast free version is not proper. AVG is definately recomended.

Yes, you have to uninstall not delete Norton before Installing AVG.

First you have to download the installer of AVG INTERNET SECURITY 8.0 from :
AVG Anti-Virus and Internet Security - Download products

If you want AVG AntiVirus 8.0 , then download it from:
AVG Free - Download installation files & documentation

However, as you have to keep on browsing to different sites, it is adviceable to go for Internet security.

Then you will have to uninstall norton and then you can install AVG.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 15th May 2008 at 08:49.
Old 15th May 2008, 11:57   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Actually Norton products and even books used to be great, I was a big fan of Peter Norton.
Some hardware related book from Peter Norton was the one which got me interested in computers at the age of 13!.

SAV sucks big time no doubt!

Regards
Old 15th May 2008, 12:28   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Ofcourse their services are prompt now, lolz... as they have handfull of customers to support.
Handfull of customers??????? Man, we have revenues of around 6B$ and 4th largest Software company in the world.
Old 15th May 2008, 13:35   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
Some hardware related book from Peter Norton was the one which got me interested in computers at the age of 13!.
I think you are referring to Inside the IBM PC, a great book.

The book that practically shaped my career in 90-91 was this, strangely it is still listed in Amazon.com site. He is a great teacher via book medium.

Amazon.com: Peter Norton's Assembly Language Book for the IBM PC (Peter Norton Foundation Series): Peter Norton: Books

Last edited by Samurai : 15th May 2008 at 13:36.
Old 15th May 2008, 18:52   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish_symc View Post
Handfull of customers??????? Man, we have revenues of around 6B$ and 4th largest Software company in the world.
Handfull of customers, as in India...

Well ! good that you are part of 18k + emlployee. but symantec a publicly traded company and revenue is mostly due to 100+ odd acquisitions that makes great softwares.
Old 15th May 2008, 20:55   #30
BHPian

Quote:
The free anti Virus from AVG has validity of 30 days. after 30 days there wont be any warnings, but the updates will not be proper. Free AVG is one of the best antivirus I have used. I am student and have to bring a lot of data from college computer labs through pen drives. AVG has been very effecient.
If you want to avoid using AVG, you can have AVAST, but the interface in the avast free version is not proper. AVG is definately recomended.

Yes, you have to uninstall not delete Norton before Installing AVG.

First you have to download the installer of AVG INTERNET SECURITY 8.0 from :
AVG Anti-Virus and Internet Security - Download products

If you want AVG AntiVirus 8.0 , then download it from:
AVG Free - Download installation files & documentation

However, as you have to keep on browsing to different sites, it is adviceable to go for Internet security.

Then you will have to uninstall norton and then you can install AVG.
Thanks for the help. Did install AVG today morning and it was great. I think it is better to buy one of these to be more secure. How about the Quick Heal? Anyone used it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks