Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2008, 22:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

Symantec Customer Service - Impressive !

I purchased a 3 user Norton 360 from Symantec India. Registered the same on 3 computers, including mine.

A few days back, I changed my OS to XP from Vista. Installed Norton 360 and when I tried to activate it - it refused. I got a message that said you have already registered for 3 accounts.

So I mailed the Symantec support on Thursday night explaining the issue. Next day around noon, I got a call from Symantec and I explained to them again. They asked for the key and in a couple of minutes reset the number of computers linked to that key on their server. I reached home at night and entered the key and voila, the services got activated.

Prompt and efficient service from Symantec. I am impressed. Lets hope they continue the same way.
Old 10th May 2008, 22:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

Good service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
I purchased a 3 user Norton 360 from Symantec India. Registered the same on 3 computers, including mine.

A few days back, I changed my OS to XP from Vista. Installed Norton 360 and when I tried to activate it - it refused. I got a message that said you have already registered for 3 accounts.

So I mailed the Symantec support on Thursday night explaining the issue. Next day around noon, I got a call from Symantec and I explained to them again. They asked for the key and in a couple of minutes reset the number of computers linked to that key on their server. I reached home at night and entered the key and voila, the services got activated.

Prompt and efficient service from Symantec. I am impressed. Lets hope they continue the same way.
Wow, its good and fast service.
Did they charge you anything extra?
Old 10th May 2008, 22:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Wow, its good and fast service.
Did they charge you anything extra?
No, nothing extra. Simply reset the details on their server.
Old 10th May 2008, 23:36   #4
BHPian

Quote:

No intended pun, but Norton suck big time... they are resource hog and are inefficient at virus scanning.

~LT
Old 11th May 2008, 00:35   #5
BHPian

I have been using the free Avast Home edition for a couple of years now. That has served me well so far. Am currently trying out Ubuntu and am so far loving it. For home user's I'd suggest Avast or AVG, coupled with good browsing habits. Corporates have their own policies
Old 11th May 2008, 00:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Ofcourse their services are prompt now, lolz... as they have handfull of customers to support.

This is one company that has evolved for worst. It makes a 2gb ram machine crawl. I remember the time back in 96 when we swore by tools released by norton. now its a different story.
Old 11th May 2008, 02:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

Norton of late is just terrible. Massive resource hog.
Old 11th May 2008, 08:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

Yes, agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
I have been using the free Avast Home edition for a couple of years now. That has served me well so far. Am currently trying out Ubuntu and am so far loving it. For home user's I'd suggest Avast or AVG, coupled with good browsing habits. Corporates have their own policies
I am comfortable with free AVG and after every 30 days, download a new installer. Not sure which to purchase. Avast is not very effecient, bitDefender eats resources, Kespsersky is option left out. Will be mostly buying this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Ofcourse their services are prompt now, lolz... as they have handfull of customers to support.

This is one company that has evolved for worst. It makes a 2gb ram machine crawl. I remember the time back in 96 when we swore by tools released by norton. now its a different story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Norton of late is just terrible. Massive resource hog.
I just love Ghost of Symmantec, not that norton AntiVirus. It would make my pc stall in middle of anything.
Old 11th May 2008, 09:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

my antivirus is common sense - trained my family to browse sensibly. Installed firefox , noscript, adblock and a firewall.
Working fine for 4 years

Last edited by greenhorn : 11th May 2008 at 09:17.
Old 11th May 2008, 09:32   #10
ECM
BHPian

Now here is my experence
IN late 90s I purchased [COLOR=#0000ff]Trend Micro™ PC-cillin[/COLOR] and installed it,after 1 year it expired and if I recollect right I paid a sum of Rs.2500 or 2800 at that time,s.w was bundled in floppy disks.I mailed to their office in US and explained that it is a costly affair for an average Indian to pay such fee each year in 99-98 era,to my upmost surprise they provided me a link for a new setup and gave a new licence key!They kept giving me for next 2-3 years without charging a single naya paisa.
Old 11th May 2008, 09:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

I have used Norton 360 with Vista. And I never felt it was a resource hog / slowed down the pc.

Maybe I am not a geek but as a layman it never felt that my pc was slow due to Norton.
Old 11th May 2008, 10:20   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Avast is not very effecient
That's funny, because I switched from AVG to Avast, because Avast was efficient, for me. It's updates were small and easy to load over dialup. When I switched machines and internet connections, I still held on to Avast. Also its free licenses last 14 months. And it is quite simple to renew.
Quote:
I just love Ghost of Symmantec
I love Ghost too. Been using it, on a live CD, before Symantec bought them. I usually take a Ghost image of my install and burn it. Beats reinstalling anyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
my antivirus is common sense - trained my family to browse sensibly. Installed firefox , noscript, adblock and a firewall.
Working fine for 4 years
My policy exactly. Though I dont use a firewall. But then I usually visit the same sites daily.

Quote:
I have used Norton 360 with Vista. And I never felt it was a resource hog / slowed down the pc.
Maybe I am not a geek but as a layman it never felt that my pc was slow due to Norton.
To be fair, once your system passes a certain threshold of CPU power and RAM, most things feel fine. But some people are never satisfied. Same as with engine tuners. Stock engines might be fine, but they still have to tweak them to extract that last bit of power.
There is also the common perception that Norton is slow. When I first installed it a long time ago, it slowed down my system considerably. Even though I have not installed it for many years, my first thought would be, "Damn, its slow, why would I want to slow down my computer?".
Old 11th May 2008, 13:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

That is great to hear about good customer experiences.

OT: Norton, as known to all, has become more and more resource hungry as they went about increasing the functionality. This has brought their customer base down over the years.

No doubt that they have one hell of a product. People are willing to swear by this product, but due to the resource requirement, not many are able to go for it.

I used AVG, then moved to Avast. I found that (personal view) that AVG is has a better interface and hence moved back to AVG.
Old 11th May 2008, 13:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am comfortable with free AVG and after every 30 days, download a new installer. Not sure which to purchase. Avast is not very effecient, bitDefender eats resources, Kespsersky is option left out. Will be mostly buying this one.

I just love Ghost of Symmantec, not that norton AntiVirus. It would make my pc stall in middle of anything.
Try using ghost on a SATA drive.!! and you will know how usefull it is....

PS: don't try it. chances of losing data is inevitable..

Last edited by SirAlec : 11th May 2008 at 13:42.
Old 11th May 2008, 18:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's funny, because I switched from AVG to Avast, because Avast was efficient, for me. It's updates were small and easy to load over dialup. When I switched machines and internet connections, I still held on to Avast. Also its free licenses last 14 months. And it is quite simple to renew.
I have to bring data from my Computer Lab where there are hell lot of viruses. Our entire server crashed 3 times in a month. Basically those who can misuse the excellent resources of the lab, do with clockwork precesion, that too swiss watch.

Avast was overall not the ultimate solution, and the interface in free version was tricky and not that user friendly. It was OK for me, but sometimes other family members also use my pc and if they wanted to scan a USB HDD or pen drive, it wasnt excellent. So switch to AVG. I am planning to buy Kespersky though.

Quote:
I love Ghost too. Been using it, on a live CD, before Symantec bought them. I usually take a Ghost image of my install and burn it. Beats reinstalling anyday.
Yes, within 10-15 minutes, its fine again and to the point where you had excellent performance and made ghost image. My dad used it for Cyrix machine that even today runs Windows 98. We have CD, but ghost is the best solution because its really time saving by a huge margin.
Reinstalling the ghost image will take 10-15 mins and with it comes all my installed softwares, whereas complete reformat will cost me 1.5 hours!

Quote:
My policy exactly. Though I dont use a firewall. But then I usually visit the same sites daily.
I have never tried, but while my surfing is mostly the same over and over again daily, my lab data forces me to have AntiVirus.
Great move by GreenHorn and you. Is there any reasonable performance benefit if OS is left without AntiVirus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Try using ghost on a SATA drive.!! and you will know how usefull it is....

PS: don't try it. chances of losing data is inevitable..
I am using Ghost for sata drives. However it is limited to the Drive C:\ because it contains my OS and other installed softwares. My data is on Drive D:\ and I usually dont create Ghost image of that data. But take backup on DVD/RW.

Till now, I have never faced any trouble with loss of data, but from now onwards, I will be carefull. I have heard from friends about loss of data, but fortunately never faced any problem.

By the way, which version of Ghost do you use?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks