Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2008, 21:03   #16
Senior - BHPian

I hope that this can help a little:

Chip - India's Most Trusted Guide To Gadgets And Technology > Recovering From A Crash > Features
Old 31st May 2008, 12:25   #17
Senior - BHPian

@ramie2400, please take a couple of good pics (macro mode) and post it. I doubt if anything would have gone wrong other than a few tracks interrupted. Data recovery guys will be able to help ONLY if the HDD powers up. The way one applies force to the power supply connector, only the local area near the connector would be suspect, not the rest of the PCB.

A good technician with a low-power soldering iron should be able to bridge the interrupted tracks, enough to get it working for you to bring out the data. It should also be possible to take a similar connector from a damaged HDD, solder wires to it, and solder the other end of the wires downstream of the damaged part.

Good luck!
Old 31st May 2008, 12:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
@ramie2400, please take a couple of good pics (macro mode) and post it. I doubt if anything would have gone wrong other than a few tracks interrupted. Data recovery guys will be able to help ONLY if the HDD powers up. The way one applies force to the power supply connector, only the local area near the connector would be suspect, not the rest of the PCB.

A good technician with a low-power soldering iron should be able to bridge the interrupted tracks, enough to get it working for you to bring out the data. It should also be possible to take a similar connector from a damaged HDD, solder wires to it, and solder the other end of the wires downstream of the damaged part.

Good luck!
Thanks DerAlte,today i have given the HDD to a technician to find the fault of the HDD not powering up,I dont have a digicam as of now,its not working,may be i'll try to get a pic of the PCB from my phone-cam,I am 100% sure that the HDD data everything is intact only issue is the powering as i had accidently damaged for no-reason,I still think why did i have to remove the HDD,as my work could have been done without removing it."Foolishness at its best" all i can say to myself.
Old 31st May 2008, 13:29   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
Thanks DerAlte,today i have given the HDD to a technician to find the fault of the HDD not powering up,
ramie2400
Dont give harddisk to anybody,normal computer service enng. will not be have knowledge of the harddisk electronics.Instead of repair they will spoil the harddisk.
Pcb repair can be a easy job if you have some electronics background.IF you can -remove the pcb and lit a bright light bellow the pcb near the power connector you will see a crack ,if the crack is not on the tracks just solder the power connector.If the crack is on the track you need to remove the paint (masking ink) on the track and solder across the crack (bridge it with solder).Hard disk should work after that.
Old 31st May 2008, 14:19   #20
BHPian

There's a samsung hdd in one of my comps. I'll see if its the same model.
Old 31st May 2008, 14:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
There's a samsung hdd in one of my comps. I'll see if its the same model.
Thanks matey for the help,i know its just the powering up issue,i'll arrange for some pics asap,and the engineer will not be opening the HDD as i have strictly warned him to do that,he is just going to show it for getting the PCB,he assured to me.
Old 31st May 2008, 17:34   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
Ramie,

Please leave the recovering job to experts. The most reputable chaps for data recovery are Stellar. Do NOT tamper with the disk yourself. As someone in my office recently discovered, Stellar will not touch the damaged hard disk if anyone has already attempted to recover data from it.

Also, do get yourself a second drive for backups alongwith SecondCopy backup software.
Slightly OT, but Stellar have had my HDD for over 2 months now because they claim they have been unable to locate the HDD needed to get the components for data recovery. They may be reputable but they asked me to source the HDD as they could not. They are by no means cheap and that it takes them this long is simply astounding!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks