Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2008, 05:47   #1
BHPian

Which GPS system in the States?

Hey guys,

Could u suggest a basic GPS car navigation system? I don't want any advanced features like mp3 player, bluetooth etc.

1. It should take me from point A to point B accurately. Recalculate the route quickly.
2. I would be traveling mainly in MI, OH & NY.
3. Should be able to update maps if required.

I had shortlisted Tomtom One 3rd Edition.

Your take on this. Not that I am going to buy it immediately but I would like to buy it before May08. Any particular site that offers GPS deals? I keep a watch on deals2buy normally.

Ok budget... $125-200
Old 29th January 2008, 08:51   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n' rollz View Post
Hey guys,

Could u suggest a basic GPS car navigation system? I don't want any advanced features like mp3 player, bluetooth etc.

1. It should take me from point A to point B accurately. Recalculate the route quickly.

Your take on this. Not that I am going to buy it immediately but I would like to buy it before May08. Any particular site that offers GPS deals? I keep a watch on deals2buy normally.

Ok budget... $125-200
You can get the Garmin Nuvi series. Works pretty well in Canada at least. You can also look for used ones, and can update the maps yourself later.
Old 30th January 2008, 01:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

I have been using the Garmin Nuvi 350 for the last six months and it has never let me down. Further, you get the text to speech functionality which is a boon. I bought mine for 350$ six mionths ago but the prices have fallen now.

In addition to deals2buy, keep a tab on pricegrabber.com too.
Old 30th January 2008, 01:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Garmin Nuvi... I use one all the time when I'm in the states. Works brilliantly.
Old 30th January 2008, 02:39   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,

Ok budget... $125-200
1] Perfect GPS for u is the Garmin nuvi 200, its got no frills etc.Ive used it and I like it a lot
The Nuvi 200W has got a wider screen but the normal screen is more than sufficient.

2] Forget the TomTom 3rd edition, it has too many bugs.

3] Micrsoft's street and trips is quite good after they came up with the new GPS sensor. I used this for more than a year.. cost me only 100$
but disadavantage are :
a] U will need a power supply DC to Ac to keep ur laptop charged, the USB based receiver sucks a lot of power
b] Someone has to be sitting next to u give u directions, using it alone is not recommended
c] After some time it becomes a pain in the *** to lug your laptop,power supply GPS receiver, cable etc wherever u go...

I suggest spend some more and get a no frills Garmin Nuvi 200 instead of the Microsft Street and trips, prices have gone down to below 200$ now, I got mine for 345$
I used it for 9 months now , absolutely no problems, no bugs, very clear screen, loud clear speaker, nice mounting sytem and best part is that u dont have to leave it in ur car... Its so slim it fits in your front shirt pocket.

Whichever GPs u take ..take the 50$ warranty/protection also..

Last edited by chetanhanda : 30th January 2008 at 02:40.
Old 30th January 2008, 05:19   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda View Post
1] Perfect GPS for u is the Garmin nuvi 200, its got no frills etc.Ive used it and I like it a lot
Ok. This looks good for my requirements. Good consumer reviews too. I just read the specs and it says Canada maps are not included. I am ready to live with that as most of my trips would be in the US as mentioned earlier. But I am sure their would be at least one visit to Niagara in summer. Where can I buy Canada maps? How much does it cost? Is there any other alternative to it? The problem is we have only 1 GPS that has Canada maps in our group of 6 cars. So it would help to have another GPS with Canada maps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda View Post
Whichever GPS u take ..take the 50$ warranty/protection also..
Any particular reason for this? Curious to know...

How useful TTS would be?
Old 30th January 2008, 21:24   #7
BHPian

U can check the garmin website if u can buy the maps for canada
Quote:
Any particular reason for this? Curious to know...
How useful TTS would be?
just in case
...whats TTS ?
Old 30th January 2008, 21:45   #8
BHPian

Quote:
just in case
...whats TTS ?
Text To Speech - It says the street names instead of the generic 'right turn in 300 Ft'. helpful in downtown type areas where streets are very close and you can not judge just by distance.
Old 30th January 2008, 21:54   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
Text To Speech - It says the street names instead of the generic 'right turn in 300 Ft'. helpful in downtown type areas where streets are very close and you can not judge just by distance.
ok ..
I have managed without TTS till now, im just happy there is a voice telling me where to turn in how many feet.
Old 30th January 2008, 22:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

There are more than 10 different brands available now. Almost 99% accurate,and each one competes with good features.
I've got the Garmin Street Pilot C330,and its been a bliss on long distance trips/driving in areas I'm not familiar with. My wife's Lancer has a factory fitted GPS,and that's quite good too!
Check this link..Its from Ecost,and you really end up getting good deals if you buy stuff from them..
Mobile Electronics GPS - eCOST.com - electronics, computers, laptops, mp3 players
Old 31st January 2008, 18:57   #11
BHPian

I use the TomTom 510 and a Navigon 7100 extensively in the US. Both are great, the Navigon is awesome but expensive although the TomTom does an excellent job of navigation. During the summer of 2007 i drove almost 3000 miles and never had a single problem with it. The Navigon came later so i dont that long an experience with it yet but the 3d view is just too good.
Old 5th February 2008, 13:37   #12
BHPian

K. So it boiled down to Garmin Nuvi 200 & Tomtom One 3rd edition. Ordered Tomtom as I was getting it $30 cheaper. Also I played around with friend's tomtom over the weekend. Will keep you posted...
Old 10th March 2008, 06:19   #13
BHPian

guyz avoid the navigon 2100 .. its just too crappy.
The TTS feature + enhanced realistic mapping sounds good for the price but overall this is crappy.
I bought a Navigon 2100 after my Garmin Nuvi got stolen ...
1] The screen is very slow to respond, its very very sluggish and frustrating !!
try it out , Im sure u will pulll ur hair out.
2] There freaking thing crashes while entering data.. u get a screen asking what u need to do ? allocate more space to programmemory etc.. and there is no way u can select an option and exit it. The bloody screen remains even after u restart it.
You will have to reset it in order to get rifdo fhte screen
I did this 4 times while trying to enter my office address
3] The stupid dumb GPs doesn't even have all the street addresses, u just cant type a address and hope this dumb thing finds some options for u.. something like the Garmin.
4] The buttons are to small , u will need a stylus to input data, I didnt beleive the reviews which said the buttons are too small, but they were right.
5] The UI is not as intuitive as the garmin or Magellan, I'd call myself an advanced user but ppl like me also get frustrated trying to input data.
6] The rubber cap for the antenna socket is just to flimsy, it broke while I was trying to slide the GP sinto the leather case..

Just avoid it otherwise if u are curious go ahead guys .. knock ur self out !!

Im returning this POS and I think Im going to stick to Garmin even if its expensive by 150$

Last edited by chetanhanda : 10th March 2008 at 06:20.
Old 10th March 2008, 07:21   #14
BHPian

I've been using Magellan Maestro 4250 and it is phenomal VFM and offers pin-point accuracy. I got mine from Costco for $349.00 plus taxes when it was $499.00 plus tax everywhere else.

6 million POI's and bluetooth were the selling point for me but there a lots of other features too.

Overall, 9.5 out of 10. Once I get it Hard-wired, it will be a perfect 10 for me.

Last edited by rev_hard : 10th March 2008 at 07:22.
Old 10th March 2008, 07:36   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev_hard View Post
I've been using Magellan Maestro 4250 and it is phenomal VFM and offers pin-point accuracy. I got mine from Costco for $349.00 plus taxes when it was $499.00 plus tax everywhere else.

6 million POI's and bluetooth were the selling point for me but there a lots of other features too.

Overall, 9.5 out of 10. Once I get it Hard-wired, it will be a perfect 10 for me.
how long have u been using it .. ?
any bugs till now ?
what abt reception how much time does it take to get a hold ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks