Team-BHP - Suggestions for international SIM cards - Mobile networks when travelling abroad
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Suggestions for international SIM cards - Mobile networks when travelling abroad (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/42942-suggestions-international-sim-cards-mobile-networks-when-travelling-abroad-7.html)

Yes, vending machines charge you extra. Even vodafone sim comes for 5-10 quid.

What about the public Wifi System in US?
How frequently are they available?

I am going to be traveling to Australia for about 5 days from 30th June to 5th July!

Have spoken with Matrix and they have said I will have to spend about 33 AUD for 500MB data and voice card for my phone.

I intend to use to access emails and whatsapp/viber.

Let me know which is the best alternative. I have just about 10 days to figure out everything including buying the card and activating it etc.

Look forward to hearing your update

On my last two trips to Japan, I used Matrix. The first time I chose the pay as you go option and ended up with spending much more. The second time I chose a higher rental with unlimited data and ended up saving more than 50%.

However this time Matrix doesn't seem to offer sims for Japan. Their website says they don't have talk plans available and the call center number disconnects after you have selected the IVR option to talk to an executive.

Any other options?

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybee (Post 3953295)
On my last two trips to Japan, I used Matrix. The first time I chose the pay as you go option and ended up with spending much more. The second time I chose a higher rental with unlimited data and ended up saving more than 50%.

However this time Matrix doesn't seem to offer sims for Japan. Their website says they don't have talk plans available and the call center number disconnects after you have selected the IVR option to talk to an executive.

Any other options?

Try Clay, I used it once on one of my Corporate trips.
I recall the rates were almost comparable to Matrix

https://www.clay.co.in/international...sim-cards.aspx

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybee (Post 3953295)
On my last two trips to Japan,
Any other options?

I have used this last year. http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/ Got it delivered to my hotel in advance and while checking in, my data sim was ready for me. As for voice plans, if I am not wrong, Japan is very strict in offering Voice plans to visitors. So I used international roaming on my Vodafone sim for voice and data was on the Japanese sim.

Matrix offered SoftBank sims if I remember right, and they came with voice and data both.

If for just data, I can check at the airport at Narita. I have already found out Softbank has a counter for data sims.

On my recent US trip, I purchased a T mobile SIM and had it delivered to where I was staying before I reached. 25$ for 5 GB data, unlimited text and 100 min talktime. Worked out well for me except that calls to Canada and network while in Canada was not available on this plan. Purchased it from Amazon. Used Skype for a few calls once my talktime was over.
Amazon also had a lycamobile sim for about 30$ which seemed reasonable for unlimited calls and text with good amount of data.
These are good options if you can get them delivered before you reach the US.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenjiRoss (Post 3966993)
On my recent US trip, I purchased a T mobile SIM and had it delivered to where I was staying before I reached. 25$ for 5 GB data, unlimited text and 100 min talktime. Worked out well for me except that calls to Canada and network while in Canada was not available on this plan. Purchased it from Amazon. Used Skype for a few calls once my talktime was over.
Amazon also had a lycamobile sim for about 30$ which seemed reasonable for unlimited calls and text with good amount of data.
These are good options if you can get them delivered before you reach the US.

You can pick up lycamobile from your indian airport before your departure. They should have a counter at the security holding area. I picked these up twice and I have instant data and voice as soon as the plane touched down. Very good plans as well, as calls to home from foreign country is unlimited. decent amount of high speed data as well.

Dear All,
I'm travelling to the USA for two months starting from the end of this month.

My phone: Xiaomi Mi 4i. http://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_4i-7211.php
Region of travel: Los Angeles, California. (In and around)

My predicament:
I need to be able to use mobile data OTG. I know that different American carriers have different bands, is there any site that provides reliable data on which carrier has which frequencies in a particular region?

Since my phone is made for the Chinese and Indian markets, I don't think I can use LTE in the USA. Hopefully shouldn't be too much of an issue considering I'll have HSPA+ (or 3G) on the go and university wifi access.

Note: I've tried the BOYD (bring your own device) search in AT&T, and it's unable to find my IMEI.

Any pointers to find the right carrier will be highly appreciated.

TIA

Note to Mods: Please move the post if posted in the wrong thread. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Quote:

Originally Posted by landcruiser123 (Post 3968408)
Dear All,
I'm travelling to the USA for two months starting from the end of this month.

Have used AT&T Prepaid SIM on my MI3 during my recent trip for 3 months in SC. Faced no issues.

Just walk in to any walgreens stores to get the physical purchase of the card, should cost you $9.99 + taxes, Pop it into your phone and good to go.

Believe it comes with some talk time. Not sure.

When the SIM is activated [ There's a procedure for it , Google it ], Change your plan online. Have used $49 or $39 plan [ don't remember ] with free 1000 mins Worldwide talktime and 2GB 3G Data free.

You should not face any issues with your phone. The Prepaid SIM has the cuttings for Micro, Nano, and Mini SIM.

Have a nice trip.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lambuhere1 (Post 3969160)
Just walk in to any walgreens stores to get the physical purchase of the card, should cost you $9.99 + taxes, Pop it into your phone and good to go.

Thank you so much.

Just a couple of more questions:

1. Do they ask for other ID proof other than passport?
2. Also, the ID proof must be submitted at the Walgreens store right?

Quote:

Have a nice trip.
Thank You. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by landcruiser123 (Post 3969315)
Thank you so much.

Just a couple of more questions:

1. Do they ask for other ID proof other than passport?
2. Also, the ID proof must be submitted at the Walgreens store right?

Thank You. :)

ID Proofs are required "only" in India.

Just walk into any walmart, walgreens, shop'n'save, stores and pick up the SIM. No questions asked. No proofs to be submitted. Its like grocery shopping :)

But there is a way to activate the SIM card. Not sure if I followed the method mentioned in the booklet, Or I googled the same.

Do check out the options.

Btw, If you are driving in a rental car, Passport and Original Indian English License on person is a recommended choice for short travel.

Used SYGIC Maps for travel. Was well marked and voice navigation helps. Else, HERE maps are also good. Another map app is Magic Earth on Playstore. All are OFFLINE MAPS.

Here are some providers I've used. In European countries the usage has been largely for data and very less for calls.

Lebara in Denmark, France and Netherlands. All pretty decent! Got them all from the airport itself.
Orange in Switzerland.
Vodafone (and occasionally TIM) in Italy. I'd suggest Vodafone as opposed to TIM. For short usage and more data/money, I'd suggest 3(Tre), but coverage would be much lesser than Vodafone.
AT&T and T-Mobile in US. Used T-Mobile extensively for calling, I remember abusing the unlimited international landline calling during one of my stays :D Have used Sprint as a resident, but wouldn't suggest for short term stays.

Never bothered to buy the Matrix. The occasional sms or call from airports were all done in international roaming or airport wifi.

Finally Matrix gave me an international roaming data card, which was 80$ for 2GB and no voice.

It worked well without any setup in my Moto G Turbo, but as it didn't have voice I had to keep juggling with the sim to be used for data (apparently unless your voice sim is registered for 3G, it won't work in Japan). Here I also noticed that the older Experia M2 dual was able to keep both sims on 3G at the same time, but tge Moto G Turbo doesn't.

There were hiccups with Matrix allocating one sim and then calling up with better offers which ended in two sims being allocated to me. They did write back saying that the unused sim wouldn't be charged, but it was an anxiety I could have lived without.