Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2008, 15:09   #16
Team-BHP Support

Yes Avi, it has been launched here in Hyderabad as well. I have already done some research. Sent one of my guys to them to find everything out and report back. He thought its fabulous whether in pic quality, sound or cost.

Will tell you when we meet. By the way, TSky is having jitters now. They have launched a highwire act with Amir Khan to promote themselves big time.
Old 27th August 2008, 19:43   #17
Senior - BHPian

Guys, let me go through all the posts and will ask queries if any. Thanks for the help.
Old 26th May 2010, 11:30   #18
BHPian

Guys, I bought a LG PQ 30 42 inch Plasma TV, playing DVDs is a bliss, fantastic picture quality. But watching the Tata Sky is frustrating experience. Whats the problem, is it 42"? or is it Tata Sky? or is it Plasma? Should go for LCD? or smaller size in LCD as all the plasmas are above 42".

Please respond.
Old 26th May 2010, 12:26   #19
Senior - BHPian

^^ Please explain what frustrates you when watching Tata Sky? Jerky video? Not clear & sharp? anything else?
Old 26th May 2010, 13:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

LCD tv X LCD computer monitor

LCD tv is not as sharp as an LCD monitor because the 'pixel' size is usually larger than that of LCD monitors. (This means connecting a computer to an LCD tv can sometimes be a pain. With my Sansui 20 inch LCD, it's very very difficult to read a word document. My Sony 25 inch is better, but still not as good as an LCD computer monitor.)

On the other hand, watching TV on an LCD monitor can also be a pain because moving objects (such as moving subtitles) on an LCD monitor can flicker.

If you cannot afford to have an LCD tv + an LCD monitor it's better to buy one of these depending on your ratio of usage.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 26th May 2010 at 13:38.
Old 26th May 2010, 13:43   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
^^ Please explain what frustrates you when watching Tata Sky? Jerky video? Not clear & sharp? anything else?
problem is it shows video steaming effect at times, no consitency in colour across different channelt, blur faces and images, jerky, no sharpness, some of channels looks as if its a small size video and you are seeing a stretched version. Some pixel box effect, some channels or adds or movies or programs are dull....
Old 26th May 2010, 14:18   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
Guys, I bought a LG PQ 30 42 inch Plasma TV, playing DVDs is a bliss, fantastic picture quality. But watching the Tata Sky is frustrating experience. Whats the problem, is it 42"? or is it Tata Sky? or is it Plasma? Should go for LCD? or smaller size in LCD as all the plasmas are above 42".

Please respond.
Its the Tata Sky (or any standard definition basically). They just doesn't look good on a bigger screen due to their low resolution. Compare it to this, you've a movie sized for a mobile scree/iPod and if you play that on a computer monitor how that would look? Same here. LCD's of same size will be even worse. Your only option will be to go for a upscaler AVR (but that's also not a great solution and picture will still be bad only) or HD DTH (Best option but not many HD channels available as of now).
Old 26th May 2010, 15:30   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
problem is it shows video steaming effect at times, no consitency in colour across different channelt, blur faces and images, jerky, no sharpness, some of channels looks as if its a small size video and you are seeing a stretched version. Some pixel box effect, some channels or adds or movies or programs are dull....
Understand your problem now. It's got nothing to do with your TV.

The boxy effect, blurred images, no sharpness etc all are because of the TATA Sky's aggressive encoding of Mpeg video of many channels. They do this to save bandwidth and squeeze in lot of channels into the transport streams.
Old 27th May 2010, 00:30   #24
BHPian

After the recent software update everything has gone for a toss,the info banner takes more premium space on the TV,the sound levels have come down on a few channels,severe jerkiness on Discovery turbo.
Old 27th May 2010, 08:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

^^ It happens with every other service provider in India. When they start, everything is nice, quality of service will be amazing. (Be it DTH or ISP). After they get a good customer base, they start screwing things up.

As a matter of fact, there is no ISP that can offer good connection speed and reliability during peak hours in the evening. (At least in my place)
Old 27th May 2010, 11:18   #26
BHPian

So whats the choice we have? live with it till we get HD DTH?
Old 27th May 2010, 13:44   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
After the recent software update everything has gone for a toss,the info banner takes more premium space on the TV,the sound levels have come down on a few channels,severe jerkiness on Discovery turbo.
Absolutely.
The info banner has encroached upon a lot more real estate and it just obscures the screen content.
But the PQ also depends largely on the "Signal Quality" of tatasky. Picture looks good on a 42" plasma if signal quality is >90% and you begin to notice the diference if it falls to 80% or below.
Old 27th May 2010, 15:41   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So whats the choice we have? live with it till we get HD DTH?
Live with it for now. HD DTH is the way forward. Already quite a few service providers have started HD DTH and it does look good.
Old 5th November 2010, 23:21   #29
Senior - BHPian

guys i want to get tata sky on my PC. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2130620-post1608.html

i am using pixelview playtv pro4 internal card.
specifications are as follows.
Quote:
PixelView PlayTV Pro4 using Next Generation of Software and Hardware for Watching TV, listening to FM radio, playing game , even schedule recording with one remote control through Windows Vista ready TV tuner card. It's easy to install, play and watch TV comfortably in the living roon, all you have to do is just lay back and relax and rejoyyour Personal Home Theater.

Features

Watch TV on PC
Listen to FM Radio
Record TV/video into MPEG 1/2
Audio/Video input
Time-shifting
Schedule Recording
Stereo (Nicam/MTS)
ROHS ready
Vista ready
i have this cable.
TATA sky on LCD monitor-compositesvideocable_medium.jpg
it has s-video in put so if i use a s-video to RCA wire, will it transmit audio as well?
i know that i can get video but what about audio?
i am confused.
Attached Thumbnails
TATA sky on LCD monitor-pixelviewplaytvpro4.jpg  

TATA sky on LCD monitor-untitled1.jpg  

TATA sky on LCD monitor-scan0002.jpg  

TATA sky on LCD monitor-5ft4pinsvideoto3rcatvma3.jpg  

Old 9th November 2010, 09:09   #30
Senior - BHPian

I have an LG 23" monitor+TV. It is awesome. There are a lot of connectors at the back - RGB, HDMI, DVI, PC in short you can use it as a source switch. I have connected the Tata Sky to it via the RGB connectors. The best part is that the monitor is HD.
LG M237WAP LCD Monitor - 23" Widescreen Multi-Function LCD Monitor/TV (23.0" diagonal) - LG Electronics IN

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks