Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2008, 01:58   #46
BHPian

One of our computers had a virus that was reported by avast as u9dyi.exe . supposed to be a keylogger, and was damned persistent. Dangerous too, as the PC was being used for financial transactions. Avast would find it on safe mode scan or boot scan, would delete it bu it would reappear.
Finally Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware worked for me. Whew what a relief.
Old 23rd October 2008, 07:40   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

@Me: So glad I run Ubuntu....but I have been advised earlier not raise this issue of O/S on these forums. Though fail to understand why winders victims get to air their views and problems.
Old 23rd October 2008, 09:53   #48
RAC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM View Post
RAC
Download Spybot-search & Destroy,update it and scan your p.c,it is not a.v but antispyware but try it and I am 100% sure that you will able to clean your system,post your comments after doing scan.Good luck to you.
I did that (posted with a very sad face)

I first un-installed AVG as it kept giving alert popups for every file I open. I have no idea what all it has deleted from my machine. I felt AVG was heavy on my machine.

I downloaded and installed Spybot S&D and ran the applicaiton. It's done something to IE.
One IE window/page was open and i think it has quarantined or deleted something and now i have no internet at home. Need to install Mozilla now.

Lost patience and switched off the machine.

Will do a scan with Spybot today and try to get the Autoruns file as mentioned by SLK.
Old 23rd October 2008, 10:06   #49
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAC View Post

I first un-installed AVG as it kept giving alert popups for every file I open. I have no idea what all it has deleted from my machine. I felt AVG was heavy on my machine.
That gives me a hint. Download this http://www.winhelponline.com/exefix_xp.com take it on a pen drive to your home comp.

Goto safe mode in your home comp and click start menu >> run >> type "e:\exefix_xp.com" [assuming "e" is your pen drive].

Once logged onto safe mode this needs to be done first before touching anything else.

Everything else stands where it was.
Old 4th November 2008, 14:16   #50
RAC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
That gives me a hint. Download this http://www.winhelponline.com/exefix_xp.com take it on a pen drive to your home comp.

Goto safe mode in your home comp and click start menu >> run >> type "e:\exefix_xp.com" [assuming "e" is your pen drive].

Once logged onto safe mode this needs to be done first before touching anything else.

Everything else stands where it was.
Hi SLK.
I finally got to try this last night. Didn't work IE is still not working.
Weird thing is the IE is working from Safe mode. Now what could be wrong!!!

Ps: I have run spybot checks again and nothing shows up now. Hopefully the system is cleaned up. Now to also repair mcafee.
Old 4th November 2008, 14:33   #51
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Too hard to say what else could be wrong unless one has physical access to the system.
Old 6th November 2008, 00:51   #52
ECM
BHPian

May this workout,try it and let me know tomorrow.
Looks funny but this cured my old problem in past,go to tools and run scandisk utility for error checking of HDD,select both options,reboot p.c and let it finish its job,now open IE and post results.
Old 5th December 2008, 14:43   #53
RAC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAC View Post
Hi SLK.
I finally got to try this last night. Didn't work IE is still not working.
Weird thing is the IE is working from Safe mode. Now what could be wrong!!!

Ps: I have run spybot checks again and nothing shows up now. Hopefully the system is cleaned up. Now to also repair mcafee.
Current status:
Got fed up of trying to solve the issue of IE not working. All the tips and tricks seemed to fail. Realised that Mcafee was not updating since it may using IE by default to connect to the main servers for updation.

Finally ended up formatting the machine and re-loading XP.

Works fine now. Thanks for all the members who poured in their suggestions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks