Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2008, 10:20   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Oh dear!
Now i have to seriously consider otherwise.
The problem is, there is a local internet provider in locality (touchnet), then there is Reliance broadband, which is overpriced for the speeds they offer, and now TATA Wimax. Airtel has no slots :(

Seems like i will have to give second thoughts, and continue with local touchnet.

I think I am the odd one out here with not much of the problem over 3 years of usage, had a wireline BB 2mbps from TATA Indicom.

- Had a total blackout for 3 week once, some equipment got burnt at their end.

- If the wires break down, they needed atleast 2 weekdays to correct it(not possible to repair if its reported on saturday till monday). IIRC, cable breakdowns were like 3-4 times in this period.

- They then converted it into a WiMax connection and the response times got better. But the Wimax had one problem, you had to switch on the UPS 10min before you could actually switch the PC on, since it takes time for the outdoor modem to connect to teh base station. Their solution, keep it "ON" for the day, I asked them to foot the electricity bill.

- Now a week back, they upgraded the firmware of the outdoor modem (pushed from the Base station) and it connects in a jiffy.

No major issues with the WiMax as such, speeds are good.

From what I have seen, the firmware is linux based but very little documentation available on the net if you want to configure "NAT" for multiple PC/ Laptop connection. Better to ask the installation guy to configure "NAT" on it at that time itself.

They use Telsima, Starmax Outdoor modems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
To answer this question -- the "dish" plugs in to a modem.

One cable coming out of the modem goes to the dish (PPPoE - from the modem's power supply) and the other goes into your laptop / desktop.

Atleast this is the way it is with the reliance wimax.

cya
R
To be more precise, there is no indoor modem, just a power adapter similar to your laptop one, one port is for supplying the power/ communication(over same CAT5e cables) to the outdoor modem and the other port for the NW cable to your desktop/ laptop.

Last edited by dadu : 20th November 2008 at 10:26.
Old 3rd January 2009, 17:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

I am using TATA wimax.
I need to know the signal frequency of my nearest base station in Yeshwanthpur/Mattikere area, as I accidentally deleted the entries in the router configuration.
Any ideas?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks