Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2008, 18:57   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
I bought the new iMAC a year ago when the new model was just launched. It really depends on what you use it for. My wife has a PC and a MAC. For he architecture stuff, since she has the software that runs on Windows (i bought it a few days before the new version of OS that supports running Windows apps came out, so dont have it - it is standard now) she uses the PC. But on the MAC, the resolution and colors are so much better (of course depends on the graphics card and the monitor you have on the PC - but it will cost you), and for stuff like creating DVDs, websites etc, the iLife is great. iWorks is great if you want some good visualization with apps similar to Windows, but that is priced extra.. I think it is worth the buy - it is a beauty from the product design perspective as well.. It does getting used to especially if you have been brought up on Windows..

I get calls for techsupport from my wife for the PC, but never for the MAC
Nice to know another mac user. iWork and iLife is amazing. Its all freely available as well.

I shifted from a pc to mac three years ago (i was an ace at windows once) and it took me exactly three days to get adjusted.
Now no more pressing the start button to shut down the comp!!!

However, i really miss the days of alt-cntrl-del!!!! Ha ha ha
Old 20th November 2008, 19:03   #17
BHPian

In addition to the discount mentioned by Tejas, if you google for 'Apple imac India', one of the first results is a company called 'Shriasys' They already have posted discounted prices; so it gives you an indication of how much to bargain for before you even get to the RS6K trade-in offer Apple is doing.
EDIT:
I remember reading a few weeks ago that there is rumoured to be a new iMac coming early next year (definitely not this year). Can you wait if you must have the latest? (Even I was tempted with the current offers, but I am going to wait for the new model next year.)

Last edited by Raja : 20th November 2008 at 19:06.
Old 20th November 2008, 19:05   #18
Team-BHP Support

It's nice to know about MAC and its plus points.

But let's not see PC bashing posts here. KS has started this thread for some informations before he decides.

Let's stick to that.
Old 25th November 2008, 13:43   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

KS, what did you decide about the imac? Buying it or not?
Old 25th November 2008, 14:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Friends,

have been reading about the 6K off on exchange of old laptop/tv etc for the iMac or the MacBook etc.

Is this any good? Is anyone using the new iMac/MacBook here and can share if it is worth the money? Would there be issues with BSNL dataone connectivity etc etc?
If you have DSL with wireless, you can connect anything to it and MACs are no exception. I have an iMAC at home and MBP for myself. Like others pointed out, please don't forget to take 3 year extended warranty.
Old 4th December 2008, 11:09   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

KS, Did you finally buy the iMac?
Old 2nd January 2009, 01:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

Another mac frantic here
 proves I'm legit
Old 23rd October 2009, 10:02   #23

One of my friend is getting me his one year old iMac from the States.
I cannot wait to have it in my hands!!!!
Is it really necessary to have the warranty extended or should I concentrate on using the iMac?
And what would be the free softwares that would be handy?
Old 23rd October 2009, 12:44   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ1980 View Post
Is it really necessary to have the warranty extended or should I concentrate on using the iMac?
Very important to get extended warrantee.
Old 23rd October 2009, 14:07   #25
Team-BHP Support

If you have school going kids at home, you can buy Mac in their name and avail further discount (Apple educational discount) !

Definitely iMAC/MBP/MB any one of them is worth a buy. As all mention, the 3 year extended warranty is worth it. What you can do is not buy the warranty at the purchase of MAC. Buy at the end of the year. But be careful to definitely buy it before the one year warranty expires.
Old 25th October 2009, 04:57   #26

Where is a good place to see what the prices are for used mac books? I have one i am thinking of selling.
Old 25th October 2009, 15:35   #27
Senior - BHPian

Our very own classified section.
Old 27th October 2009, 00:53   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Very important to get extended warrantee.

The one year warranty period is over...I am not sure how it will work.
Is it wise to install Windows along with the MAC OS. I am not interested in it but everybody seems to be insisting on having a Windows OS installed along with MAC....
Any ideas?
Old 27th October 2009, 02:47   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ1980 View Post
The one year warranty period is over...I am not sure how it will work.
Is it wise to install Windows along with the MAC OS. I am not interested in it but everybody seems to be insisting on having a Windows OS installed along with MAC....
Any ideas?
What you can get before your 1 year warranty is over is the APP(applecare protection plan). Apple - Support - AppleCare - FAQs

I would highly recommend it. I bought my macbook pro with APP over a year ago from UK, only recently had few problems with it e.g battery, charger, noisy fan. Although technically my battery wasn't covered under warranty after 1year but they changed it along with other stuff without much of a problem at a Apple dealer in India. If I didn't had the APP then I would have payed almost 20k to get the things replaced.
Old 27th October 2009, 08:38   #30

I think I will go for the Apple Protection plan. But the one year warranty period is already over. I have to find out what it takes to get it extended.

Avinaash, Why are you selling your Macbook? Upgradation or any issues?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks