Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2009, 16:36   #1
BHPian

Mumbai - Airtel Pre-paid Network Issues ?

Are you guys also facing issues with Airtel pre-paid network? I’m seriously tired with the situations that I’ve been facing for almost little over a month.

What happens is 4/10 times when u call, the caller receive a message saying that the phone is not reachable.
( I came up with the above figures by testing myself. In different times in the past few days)

A couple of my colleagues at work are also facing the same issue with their Airtel Network. Funny thing is that this problem is only with the pre-paid customers. Those with post paid connections are not having any such problems.

Are any of you facing the same issue. ?
Old 2nd January 2009, 16:48   #2
BANNED

Airtel Karnataka does not discriminate between prepaid and postpaid subscribers. The problems you have described are common with both.

Last edited by hrag : 2nd January 2009 at 16:54.
Old 2nd January 2009, 16:52   #3
BANNED

Can the GSM network distinguish between post-paid and pre-paid users? Can the network prefer one type of users over another?
Old 2nd January 2009, 16:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Can the GSM network distinguish between post-paid and pre-paid users? Can the network prefer one type of users over another?
Its possible! But I wonder why would the Service provider opt to do this.
Old 2nd January 2009, 17:05   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Airtel Karnataka does not discriminate between prepaid and postpaid subscribers. The problems you have described are common with both.
Hrishi, its still a lot better than trying to reach someone who is on the Vodafone network in an emergency. It simply does not discriminate between an emergency and a non-emergency. It just refuses to connect.

Being an Airtel post paid customer, i had a harrowing time trying to make an outgoing STD call to a landline yesterday. Finally, i gave up. cheers:
Old 2nd January 2009, 17:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Check your PM Sinner and email the people mentioned. Let us know if they provide an answer to your problem.
Old 3rd January 2009, 14:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

Airtel sucks big time since the last 3 months in Mumbai. The network simply refuses to connect to any other phone. Have complained lots of time on the hot line to no avail.

I have given up. Am thinking of options - how's the Idea network in Mumbai ?
Old 3rd January 2009, 14:10   #8
BHPian

Mumbai has a problem with a particular number of airtel numbers. Subscribers of MTNL GSM network are not able to get in touch with these numbers. MTNL garuda (CDMA) are okay. We have both at home, and using Garuda one is able to get in touch with Airtel numbers, however the MTNL gsm users are not able to get in touch.

Pretty weird, we have escalated this problem to all concerned, yet to no avail. Though there is no differentiation between prepaid/postpaid. The switches and the number of E1s active at the exchange end have something to do with this issue.
Old 4th January 2009, 18:06   #9
BHPian

I was happy with my airtel connection in Bangalore for the past 2 1/2 yrs. , but then it started giving me problems just a week back.

I do not get a EDGE signal anymore and the phone stays on GPRS and the std calls get connected only after 10-15 tries (seriously) . I called up their cc 121 and it again took me 10 calls to get connected.

The reply was that the problem is not only with me but every user in Bangalore, as the Airtel network is getting a major network upgrade or something. I don't believe them but will wait for few more days before actually start thinking about changing the operator, keeping in mind the hassle free 2 years i've had with Airtel.
Old 5th January 2009, 00:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

I'v heard that Airtel is bad in Bombay... but you gotta experience it in Poona to believe what its like! Firstly there are issues connecting... then if it connects, it can drop the call within the minute!! And even if it holds the call, its not much use, cus the voice clarity is PATHETIC!!!

As an icing on the cake they cheat, have the worst customer service I'v experienced and there is no Nodal officer or Appellete Authority to escalate the complaint to.

What is a miracle is how many still remain on this abominable network... everyone is harrassed but give the same lame excuse of not wanting to change the number!

Idea is the best network in Maharashtra (dont know about Bombay).
Old 5th January 2009, 00:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
The GSM network can and has to distinguish between prepaid and postpaid users. However the network can normally NOT prefer one type of users over another. I say normally because call routing can be customized.

It is not a case of discrimination - its just that the Prepaid Call Handling platform is a different network node. Postpaid user calls do not connect to that node, so if there is a problem with the prepaid platform then obviously postpaid customers are not affected.

Unfortunately the reverse doesnt work - both postpaid and prepaid calls go through the same point in the first place, so if postpaid customers cant make calls then the same would apply to prepaid too since the problem is at the first network contact point.

Last edited by Steeroid : 5th January 2009 at 00:51.
Old 5th January 2009, 01:26   #12
BHPian

AirTel network is horrible in Mumbai. Its ture 50% of time when you dial a number one can hear the prerecorded voice that the phone is not reachable, even when the person is sitting next to you. Another annoying thing is that the line get disconnected in between (70% of time). During STD calls 10% of time the line become one sided. Bharti may be the number on in India in terms of customer base but most probably the last one in respect to service. I'm just thinking the funda behind that!!!
Old 5th January 2009, 10:25   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixthsense View Post
The reply was that the problem is not only with me but every user in Bangalore, as the Airtel network is getting a major network upgrade or something. I don't believe them but will wait for few more days before actually start thinking about changing the operator, keeping in mind the hassle free 2 years i've had with Airtel.
What are the other options you would be looking at in Bangalore?
Vodafone is seriously hopeless, and Idea .. i have no idea. Others such as Spice?
Old 5th January 2009, 13:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
and Idea .. i have no idea. Others such as Spice?
Spice is now Idea. Or will soon be. Mansidea has moved to Bangalore from Cochin as part of this changeover.
Old 5th January 2009, 14:26   #15
BHPian

Surprisingly here in Hyderabad Airtel is real good.Have 3 connections at home and it is real good.No problems at all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks