Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2009, 01:50   #16
BHPian

Oh yes, this happened to "me" as well , in an indirect way , a friend came from bangalore proudly showing the 32gb pendrive. I first said it is utter nonsense since kingston never announced they had such high capacity drives to sale. and the best part was when he swelled that it costed him 700 bucks only. I was "dude you've been cheated for sure" but well when it DID show 32 gb on the computer i was amazed. well then we started copying movies with the "proud owner" remarking that i didnt know **** about computer knowledge

well then I had the last laugh, a big one.

any version of this fraud on the memory card for phones ? because there's no way to tell a 1,2,4,8 gb SD micro card apart from the "labelling"

will be wary, I didnt know that this was a large scale fraud.

thanks Sang. ill alert other people about this.
Old 17th January 2009, 07:21   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
sonirohit : There are a couple of softwares which can actually reclaim atleast the 4GIG space on the drive...
No software can convert the fake drive into a real one.

The drives in question have the capacity to only copy the directory list. So when you copy into the drive, the drive's directory will only List the copied data. The data itsel is not there.

Try to copy the data from that drive back into the PC, you will know.
Old 17th January 2009, 13:55   #18
BHPian

OK, here is my part of the story. I read an ad in Sulekha.com that someone is selling their 32GB Kingston pen drive for Rs.1500

I contacted him and purchsed it from him, only to know that it is fake. I paid him 1500

So, whats unique about this? The person who cheated me was a software engineer from Wipro Electronic City, his name is Saurabh Singh, he lives at Teachers' Colony in HSR Layout. He was well aware that this was a fake pen drive but he cheated me.

How selfish can educated guys get! They first get cheated by someone, and then they cheat someone else by selling it again!!! I do not have his address, but we just met near The Dhaba in HSR ring road.

Educated software engineers working at Wipro do this, so I'm not surprised at the people who sell it in Delhi at computer markets.

He is a Sardarji, his phone number is 9901920212, if anyone from Wipro can get me his address, I will go and return it to him and give him a piece of my mind!!!
Old 20th January 2009, 23:43   #19
Senior - BHPian

gopZ! how dumb can you get.

why didn't you asked me first??
Old 20th January 2009, 23:50   #20
Senior - BHPian

gopz,
You could have tried those eBay coupons yaar.

Anyways dont lose sleep over the pen drive. You might as well bump into him in some pub
Old 21st January 2009, 09:12   #21
BHPian

send him the email which would be normally Saurabh.Singh@wxxxx.com. I am sure he will not reply. getting his address is not very difficult as you already have his mobile number.
Old 21st January 2009, 10:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

You should have smelt a rat if someone was offering 32GB for Rs.300 or so.

I personally stick to known suppliers and normally buy one size smaller than the current rage. This ensures a more reliable product. I have never had a Pen Drive Failure. One on my drives (Umax0 went through the washing machine twice (lef in the shirt pocket) and is still functioning.

One warning - some AV software (incl. NOD32) does not automatically clean and scan the USB drives. So watch out here.
Old 28th January 2009, 17:05   #23
BHPian

I am a victim too!!:-(( paid Rs 650 forthe 32 Gb Kingston drive. Came in proper packaging with identical looks!!!
Old 30th January 2009, 14:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys...one of friend is going to purchase a 32GB kingston pen drive with in few days.
Dropped!!!!
Old 30th January 2009, 14:08   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Thanks guys...one of friend is going to purchase a 32GB kingston pen drive with in few days.
Dropped!!!!
Arre, there are genuine 32 GB pen drives also available. Its ok as long as you buy it from a reputed / trustworthy place.
Old 30th January 2009, 14:53   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Arre, there are genuine 32 GB pen drives also available. Its ok as long as you buy it from a reputed / trustworthy place.
Check on Corsair. Using 8GB drive for sometime. Quite Good. As far as I know, Corsair does have 16GB, 32 GB USB 2 pen drives
Old 30th January 2009, 14:56   #27
Team-BHP Support

My dad bought one for 400 bucks.

Have stored a max of about 2GB or so on it.
Works fine at that storage level. Do not know if it will work with more data.
But 2GB at 400 is an acceptable price.

While yes, cheated off the 32 GB part but since a 4 GB costs 400 anyway, its no major loss.
Old 24th April 2009, 20:58   #28
BHPian

main thing to check for in fake 32gb kingston drives.
1. Kingston drives have serial number laser imprinted on the metal part that goes into your computer. these fake drives do not have tis number.
2. when inserted in computer you will not get kingston data traveller as detected drive, you will get some other name eg. ccore
3. if you are allowed to test the drive, i recommend copying one large file lets say 5 times, maybe a movie then removing the drive and reconnecting it. you will not see any legible data, all you will see is junk. but the disconnecting/connecting thing has to be done else it will show copying succesful etc.

hope this helps ppl.
Old 24th April 2009, 21:05   #29
Senior - BHPian

lol, my dad went and bought a 80 GB kingston pen drive for 400 bucks without telling me.
He very proudly showed it to me and I told him he has been cheated. I transferred 10 GB data to it and it copied without any issues , but on trying to open it from the pen drive kept getting errors. Tried to format, nothing happened. Threw it and told dad to check before making such decisions, thankfully it was only 400 bucks.
Old 20th July 2009, 14:19   #30
BHPian

I bought two pendrives just few minutes back near my office from one of these guys, After lunch went out with colleagues for smoke and this guy approached with a Kingston pendrive saying its cost is Rs3000 but will give it for Rs1500 i quickly came back to my office and googled and found this thread and came up with a nasty idea. I went back to these guys and bargained for two pendrives @ Rs800, Told him will check this at my office and then will pay him which i never did. This tit for tat what i did is on behalf of all bhpian's who got cheated from these guys

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks