Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2011, 22:19   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Funny Story - 32GB USB Pen-drive for 300Rs

Your friend just went to Karol Bagh, my friend went all the way to China, and thought he outsmarted the Chinese to pick up Sony of course he bought a bunch for each and maybe was carrying three four dozens for everyone even the customs

Yeah Sony made in China, all were fake, though these recorded the files and even showed the structure, but no data. Chinese are a bit professional to even con the educated check and show variety.
Old 14th January 2011, 22:26   #47
Senior - BHPian

Anything too good to be true must be looked at suspiciously. In the forum, elsewhere, I had warned another fellow who was falling for such items. thankfully he asked on TBhp before making purchases.

Really feel sorry for him but I am sure he would come out wiser from this.
Old 14th January 2011, 22:46   #48
Senior - BHPian

This is very very common. And sadly even I was a victim one time. I used to shop for good CDs whenever wife, the kid and me made a trip to delhi from Gurgaon. And shop at Palika Bazaar. Now I have seen what this place was like, and what it is now.

Anyways, my wife picking up something from one of the shops and I saw the same bunch of drives. Even i picked up for around 200 or 300 somthing, a 350+ whatever GB. Since it was a paltry amount, didnt mind taking the risk.

Came home tried it. Windows detected it. Transfered one or two files and that was it. Kaaaput. Nothing more happened after that and my system started acting weird. Got rid of it then and there.

"Kingston's 380 GB Pain Drive"

Oh, and recently, saw a guy selling similar, weird capacity drives of Kingston outside Diamond District in Bangalore

Last edited by thedreamcatcher : 14th January 2011 at 22:48.
Old 14th January 2011, 23:10   #49
Senior - BHPian

re: USB Flash Drives

Oh, a whole thread exists for this eh? LOL..!!

At least i hope there is NO thread for the RADO watches I am damn sure it is a con job too.
Old 15th January 2011, 03:16   #50
BHPian

Hi
I had recently bought a 16gb transcend pen drive. For the last 5 years i have brought all my computer related items from him and did not have a issue. He had a 32 gb on display and when i enquired its price he told me he is holding the piece only to tell customers not to buy them and then went on and plugged it and showed me. I was surprised. But he also said 32gb is available in transcend but the price difference between a 16gb and 32 gb will be around 3500 rupees. Well did not make sense to me. So went ahead and purchased a 16gb for 850 rupees. Cheers.
Old 15th January 2011, 03:30   #51

The most reliable Pen drives I have eer used are the HP ones. I buy ONLY HP. irrespective of price.
Old 19th January 2011, 13:05   #52
Senior - BHPian

We were on a holiday in Delhi last week.I visited the Palika bazar lots of Pendrives with 32 and 64 gbs for a mere Rs.600.Was tempted but I did not take the risk of buying these pen drives.
Old 19th January 2011, 13:26   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Thank god for this thread. I was gonna order one for 1500 bucks! I'll make do with my 8GB transcend for now. Imagine if i had bought it and then seen this thread?!
If you are ordering from a dealer, no issues. This is about fakes selling in the grey market shops etc.,
Old 23rd April 2012, 12:19   #54
BHPian

Kingston 32GB pen drive donor required

Hi guys,

i need help from you all to locate a new/used one and and a willing donor. I have enquired with each and every available shop in the bangalore computer market and online shops but have not been able to find one. Next hope are those who own one.

I will be glad to replace with a new one of equivalent capacity or whatever the donor desires.

I need it for salvage part and it has to be the original, not the fake.

I have been using this particular model since Dec 2009 to it's full capacity of 32GB. One fine day it gave up on me. It is still in warranty and kingston are willing to replace with a equivalent new one but.. i need a few files from that. Most of the data is duplicated elsewhere but some mailbox file was on that that was current. I was using it with a portable mail program.

this is what i am looking for, which is the Data traveler 100 32GB. There is one of generation 2 which is not the one i am looking for.
USB Flash Drives-dsc01645e.jpg
USB Flash Drives-dsc01646e.jpg

Please save the link to this post with you and forward/ask if anyone in your friends circle have the same. Your help is very much appreciate. Please post here or pm me if anyone has it.

Thank you.
Old 23rd April 2012, 17:50   #55
Senior - BHPian

Do you need it to have the same capacity too or a pendrive of say 8GB Kingston data traveller shall also work.
Old 23rd April 2012, 23:13   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Do you need it to have the same capacity too or a pendrive of say 8GB Kingston data traveller shall also work.
Thanks. I opened a 2gb and 8gb of the same type but the controllers were different. So i guess an exact replica is needed. i'm feeling it easier to find smaller ones. If no alternative is found, a lot of hardwork in involved in dumping the flash to a file and recreating the fat filesystem.
Old 26th June 2012, 00:37   #57
Senior - BHPian

Re: USB Flash Drives

Is it worth paying extra for flash drive that's USB 3.0 rated vs the usual 2.0?
Old 26th June 2012, 02:01   #58
Senior - BHPian

I have a kingston DT Ultimate G2 which is USB 3.0 and it is faster than conventional hard drives when reading or writing data to it. Crystaldiskmark says its write speed is around 80 megs a second and read speed is around 125 megs a second. I paid around 2k in India for it. Retails for around the same here - 40$ or so for a 16gig drive. There's another hyper x drive which is even faster but the costs are prohibitive.

Make sure you get a drive that has its rated speeds printed on the carton. Most basic USB 3.0 drives are no better than their USB 2.0 brethren.
Old 28th June 2012, 22:17   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Is it worth paying extra for flash drive that's USB 3.0 rated vs the usual 2.0?
Yes, 3.0 is worth if you have
1) 3.0.USB port on your system and
2) Do frequent file/folder transfer via that port.

For rest of the tasks, 2.0 is good enough.
Old 27th September 2015, 14:58   #60
Senior - BHPian

I received 2 Kingston DT Duo flash drives, 8 GB each, when I recently went skydiving. I'm able to copy or transfer files easily from it but when it comes to using any of the flash drives in my music system or car HU, neither of them work.

I tried different file systems, NTFS, FAT 32, exFAT and different Allocation Unit Size but nothing works.

Any idea what could possibly be the solution to using these in car or my home music system?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks