Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2014, 13:49   #16
BHPian

Re: Vintage Spool Players!

Since the old Valves are back in action in high end HI FI amplifiers, you might want to look up some of these people for spares and know how on how to repair them.
Old 3rd March 2014, 14:05   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideasingh View Post
... Can someone help me in identifying a good mechanic for these kind of radios in Bangalore, ...
Unfortunately the current generation of 'radio mechanics' wouldn't know a valve from a 200ml water bottle!

There are a couple of places where you can start searching (by the principle of 6 degrees of separation). Take a printout of the radio and start at one of these:

1. On Brigade Road, somewhere in the middle, is a TV shop called Modern Radios (I think). Ask for the owner - an old gentleman who has seen these in the 60s and 70s

2. Ask for Globe Electronics in SJP Road / SP Lane (City Market). It is in the last diagonal lane joining these roads (near the Canara Bank end). Again, ask for the old Sindhi gentleman who is the owner

3. Nearby, there are many small electronics repair shops virtually on the pavement. If the person there is older than 50y, he might agree to give it a try.

Valves are still available in a couple of shops, incl. Globe Electronics IIRC. Alas, I am unable to recollect the names of the gentlemen I mentioned above - I am almost from the same era.
Old 9th March 2014, 15:01   #18
BHPian

I have spoken to the owner gentleman at Globe Electronics couple of times in the past. He is an old school electronics person and quite knowledgible about vintage stuff.

Owner of the Amar radio Corporation in SP road had once told me he could source valves (tubes) from abroad if necessary.

Of late vintage audio (turn tables, tape decks, tube preamps and amps etc.) has come back strongly in the US, but in India we are still in the "digital" age...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks