Team-BHP - The Windows Phone Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Windows Phone Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/52695-windows-phone-thread.html)

I have a HTC Tytn II with Win Mob 6.1 running on it.
Was trying to setup Gmail on my phone via IMAP.

I followed all the instructions listed by Google to setup Gmail thru IMAP (https://mail.google.com/support/bin/...y?answer=78886).
But, when I click on send/receive mails, after few secs, I get the following message:
"Messages cannot be downloaded to ur mobile device, make sure you are connected & that ur email account settings are correct.Then, try to download messages again"

I access net via GPRS (Airtel Live).

Any ideas to resolve this issue?

Finney,
I would suggest you activate the "get settings automatically from the Internet" after you type your mail id.It works fine.
Thats how I configured gmail account on my HTC Touch

Dont use IMAP. Just use good old POP3. Also do as jraj has suggested.

Finney, you have to enable POP/IMAP on your gmail account (web / internet) as well.

Settings -> Forwarding and POP/IMAP

POP Download:
Enable POP
Keep Gmail's copy in the Inbox

IMAP access:
Enable IMAP

You will find configuration instructions for both POP / IMAP under each sub-section.

@ finneyp

I'm using HTC p3300. U need to configure, gmail, using the POP address. Also, when once the setting is correct, it will download the mails. Also, it will just download, headers to just the immediate reply. If you want to see, the complete email, you have to download again, by opening the mail.

Thanks all for your suggestions.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jraj (Post 1150960)
I would suggest you activate the "get settings automatically from the Internet" after you type your mail id.

If I do that, I will get the POP3 settings and not IMAP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikram_d (Post 1150975)
Dont use IMAP. Just use good old POP3.

Any reasons for not to use IMAP?
Quote:

Originally Posted by hrag (Post 1150995)
Finney, you have to enable POP/IMAP on your gmail account (web / internet) as well.

Hrishi, I have done all that, but still getting that error message.
Quote:

Originally Posted by yatinchoubal (Post 1151034)
I'm using HTC p3300. U need to configure, gmail, using the POP address.

But I don't want Gmail on POP, was looking for IMAP.

Airtel live connection will not support the IMAP connection through the phone email client, you need Mobile office connection ie if you are ok with spending another 300 bucks per month.

OR configure and connect using Wifi connection ;) I configured manually all the settings in my previous HTC touch handset.

Hope this helped.

ps: Airtel live connection is through a proxy port which blocks email clients

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 1151226)
Airtel live connection will not support the IMAP connection through the phone email client

There you are! Thanks Jaggu for nailing the culprit.

Will Gmail on POP3 work on Airtel Live?

I dont think so finneyp (vaguely remember the same message popping up), still you can check and see, will take just 2 minutes only naah.

If you want email access personal or professional the easy way use MO, its really worth it. They even have weekly packages which can be enabled and disabled using SMS. Mainly it comes in handy during travel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by finneyp (Post 1151234)
There you are! Thanks Jaggu for nailing the culprit.

Will Gmail on POP3 work on Airtel Live?

No on Airtel Live even POP3 will not work.

There is one option for you though. Go to gmail.com from the internet explorer on your phone. On top you will see a "Get faster Gmail" link. Click on it and it will download a small java app on to your phone. You can use this as this uses HTTP to access Gmail.

Just checked, even POP3 doesn't work on Airtel Live, getting the same message.

Mobile Office or Wifi are the best options to access mails I guess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikram_d (Post 1151255)
There is one option for you though. Go to gmail.com from the internet explorer on your phone. On top you will see a "Get faster Gmail" link. Click on it and it will download a small java app on to your phone. You can use this as this uses HTTP to access Gmail.

Vikram, I tried doing that, but for some reason this java app was not getting executed/installed.
Maybe, the java app is not compatible with Win Mob OS.

It is compatible with Win Mobile cause I have used it. Which Java application manager does your phone have? I have Jblend on my phone and it works perfectly fine on it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikram_d (Post 1151280)
It is compatible with Win Mobile cause I have used it.

Yes Vikram, you are right.
I downloaded the Gmail java app again & re-installed it, this time it got installed successfully & now I can access Gmail. :)

Thanks everyone!

Nice. Problem solved.

Quote:

Originally Posted by finneyp (Post 1151301)
Yes Vikram, you are right.
I downloaded the Gmail java app again & re-installed it, this time it got installed successfully & now I can access Gmail. :)

Thanks everyone!

Oops, i typed and deleted this since i thought you needed the OE email client stupid: Or you can use gmail through your browser also, i think only yahoo they have blocked, then again there is an override for that ;)