Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2009, 19:46   #1
BHPian

Airtel broadband and my macbook pro

So im planning on getting a net connection soon from airtel and i wanted to know if everything will work ok with my mac. Im running osx 10.5.5. Is there any special software the tech needs to install on my comp or is everything plug and play? I.e..just plug in the modem and surf..
Old 31st January 2009, 23:25   #2
Team-BHP Support

Will work, only thing you need to do will be to configure the connection (LAN or Wifi) assuming its regular Airtel broadband connection.
Old 1st February 2009, 00:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
So im planning on getting a net connection soon from airtel and i wanted to know if everything will work ok with my mac. Im running osx 10.5.5. Is there any special software the tech needs to install on my comp or is everything plug and play? I.e..just plug in the modem and surf..
Either you will get an Ethernet connection or a wireless network out of your DSL modem. Mac doesn't care how it gets the connection, Airtel or otherwise. In short, it will all work fine. Hope you are getting a DSL/Wireless combo modem from Airtel. That will make your life easier.
Old 1st February 2009, 00:56   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

It's a mac! Just plug in and surf or switch on airport and surf!!!
No need to repair connections, etc like the windows...
And please upgrade to 10.5.6...
Any mac questions, i am here!

@ Jaggu, no need to configure . it will auto detect.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 1st February 2009 at 00:57.
Old 1st February 2009, 01:43   #5
BHPian

@tejas: thats why i love my mac..im trying to get my gf to do the same hehe . Ya ill upgrade..but what im really waiting for is 10.6.She has been borrowing my baby for the past few days. Btw Does the wireless modem cost extra? Its good to know there is a mac enthusiast here on the board!...im from the states and macs over there are like a fashion trend
Old 1st February 2009, 10:42   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
@tejas: thats why i love my mac..im trying to get my gf to do the same hehe . Ya ill upgrade..but what im really waiting for is 10.6.She has been borrowing my baby for the past few days. Btw Does the wireless modem cost extra? Its good to know there is a mac enthusiast here on the board!...im from the states and macs over there are like a fashion trend
Due 10.4.X was tiger; 10.5.X is leopard which is just released. 10.6 will take a longtime yet...
Either airtel can supply you with a modem and wireless router inbuilt or you can take only their modem and attach a more powerful router on your own. router costs start from 2500 to 8000 in mumbai.

I have three macs... been an enthusiast since the past 4 years!
BTW, when was the last time you pressed alt-cntrl-del!
Old 1st February 2009, 12:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

A airtel ADSL Router (Modem) will just plug and play on a mac.

Keep it real 
Old 1st February 2009, 19:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

dude! configure the adsl modem as a PPoE (always on) and not as bridge (connect on demand).

PS: please post which company adsl modem is provided by airtel.?

Last edited by SirAlec : 1st February 2009 at 19:38.
Old 2nd February 2009, 01:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

Airtel uses Beetel if I remember correctly, but I would rather advise you to get a nice WiFi router then haggle with a poor quality one from Airtel. Just link the linksys or netgear or whatever router you get to the Beetel modem and no hassles.

(Airtel and most of the DSL providers now-a-days preconfigure the Routers to Bridged mode.)
Old 2nd February 2009, 02:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

If its free then its fine, or invest in aftermarket adsl modem+router+wifi. Preferably. Dlink 2540t etc. performance of these are great.
Old 4th February 2009, 21:55   #11
Team-BHP Support

Stupid doubt, wifi configuration also is not required, as in pass code etc? Airtel Lan if its fixed IP connection then also no configuration required?
Old 4th February 2009, 22:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Stupid doubt, wifi configuration also is not required, as in pass code etc? Airtel Lan if its fixed IP connection then also no configuration required?
I dont exactly get what are you trying to ask? You have to create a wi-fi network if you are asking and please never leave it open always secure it with a password.
Old 4th February 2009, 22:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

it should work fine. are you going in for a wireless router? if you have any issues setting up the connection just shoot it here and we shall help you.

OT: the 10.6 aka snow leopard will hopefully be launched soon.
Old 4th February 2009, 22:57   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I dont exactly get what are you trying to ask? You have to create a wi-fi network if you are asking and please never leave it open always secure it with a password.
You answered the first doubt, thanks passcode is required ie.

LAN issue what i meant was, my earlier connection from Airtel needed fixed IP and DNS to be entered into the XP machine, this connection was after we complained, since it was used to access corporate network and earlier dynamic IP used to cause random disconnection from the network.
Old 4th February 2009, 23:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
You answered the first doubt, thanks passcode is required ie.

LAN issue what i meant was, my earlier connection from Airtel needed fixed IP and DNS to be entered into the XP machine, this connection was after we complained, since it was used to access corporate network and earlier dynamic IP used to cause random disconnection from the network.
because they might have set a range of fixed IPs on router for your local lan, instead of setting the router as DHCP server.

Fixed IP from any service provider is expensive. (For Eg: Bsnl's is 3000 plus tax per month that too is not unlimited plan). So that you cannot host a server from home.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks