Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2009, 18:29   #1
BHPian

External antenna/signal booster for GSM mobiles

We have recently shifted into a new place of residence where GSM signals of all operators are of very low strength.The place is some 2+ km distant from any nearest tower and all around there are equally taller buildings as this house.
Inside the house the signal is barely one point interms of nokia display. We use airtel ,bsnl and tata indicom (all prepaid).
Except Indicom, rest two operator signal is very weak inside the house. Airtel signal doesn’t even show up where as Bsnl atleast provides meager connectivity.
Earlier occupants had Vodafone postpaid connections and had same issue. Upon multiple requests to customer care, Vodafone installed some kind of roof antenna and signal booster which resolved their problem.
As we don’t have any postpaid connections I don’t think any of the operator will provide a solution on their own.
So , I wish to know if any such roof top antenna and signal booster could be purchased from open market.
Atleast a DIY solution with some common things is also great, if exists.
Please help.

Last edited by deetee : 9th February 2009 at 18:31.
Old 9th February 2009, 21:56   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Earlier occupants had Vodafone postpaid connections and had same issue. Upon multiple requests to customer care, Vodafone installed some kind of roof antenna and signal booster which resolved their problem.
As we don’t have any postpaid connections I don’t think any of the operator will provide a solution on their own.
So , I wish to know if any such roof top antenna and signal booster could be purchased from open market.
Watching this thread closely, as I suffer from the same problem. House on the beach, no operator except for Reliance & Tata CDMA catch range here. If it helps, while a solution is on the way, divert your cellphone to a landline when at home.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 20th March 2017 at 06:35. Reason: Code Dial Multiple Access
Old 9th February 2009, 22:27   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Some nokia phones have a port for external antennas which can be bought cheaply and used. But the downside is that your mobile won't be mobile at home. You will have to fix the wire outside and leave your mobile connected to it.
Other options are expensive. There is a booster available but the cheapest starts from 35000 onwards. See the site below for details. Available in mumbai at worli. You will have to email them for hyderabad.

Source for cell mobile phone booster, mobile phone signal enhancer,mobile phone network booster and enhancer
Old 9th February 2009, 22:48   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Also see this link:

Cell phone boosters Video ? 5min.com
Old 10th February 2009, 00:20   #5
IMP
BHPian

I think its time Indian cellular operators start giving out something like this
Posts tagged Femtocell at Engadget Mobile

OT: I am frustrated with airtel regarding coverage at my house, which is on the 10th floor, i can see around 10-12 cell towers from my house, still face frequent call disconnections. I am still using airtel only because I do not want to change the phone number, waiting eagerly for the number portability thing to take off.
Old 10th February 2009, 11:29   #6
BHPian

Getting to the terrace, i could catch some signal for Airtel, but inside the house it is pathetic. Nowhere could I manage to get atleast a faint signal.
If I can't find a practical solution , i may have to dump my 5 yr old Airtel conn. and shift to Vodafone( atleast then I could ask them to install a local antenna like they did for earlier occupants.)

I read somewhere that installing a car radio type antenna and leading the cable to one of the rooms where we need connectivity could improve the signal.But then length of the medium may cause heavy loss in signal stregth or unwanted noise, if at all it works.
Old 31st May 2009, 17:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

The BSNL knowledge base threw this up - Cell Phone Antennas and Cell Phone Boosters at Wilson Electronics

I need one desperately!
Old 31st May 2009, 23:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

This is made by one of my channel partner in delhi. Havn't use it yet. as I deal with them for other products.

You can call them directly at the number given in brochure.

mobile booster.pdf
Old 1st June 2009, 13:59   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
The BSNL knowledge base threw this up - Cell Phone Antennas and Cell Phone Boosters at Wilson Electronics

I need one desperately!
In that page the first type of installation is what I had seen done by Vodafone. They installed an external antenna, one internal amplifier and multiple internal antennas which are exactly as show in the diagram.
That installation guy said that it costed something like 50K in market.
Old 1st June 2009, 14:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

We have that Cone type antenna in our Office on each floor & therefore face no signal issues for Idea Network, even in lifts & Basement.

Like this one shown below

External antenna/signal booster for GSM mobiles-antenna.jpg

But I believe this must be some due to an earlier corporate tie up or something

Last edited by Technocrat : 1st June 2009 at 14:18.
Old 8th January 2010, 19:13   #11

Cell phone boosters

Hi all,

Am frustrated with the cell phone reception in my flat in Mumbai.
I live on the 17th floor of a tower on LBS Marg in Vikhroli West but if I walk around the house while on the phone or sometimes even when sitting in the same spot the call gets dropped.

The signal strength in my area is 5 bars which is the worst thing, even my providers cant seem to help.

This is the case with Airtel and Vodafone. (Both operate on different frequencies too). Reliance CDMA is just perfect in my area but I dont/cant drop my Airtel phone.

Can someone suggest a dealer/retailer from whom I can purchase a cell phone booster.
It should support 800, 1900 and 3G in the future when its launched.

Your help in this matter would be most appreciated.
Old 8th January 2010, 20:54   #12
BHPian

Yes, reception in Raj Legacy sucks.
Maybe you can get some non branded stuff cheap from Grant Road. Next option is Ebay which is as much reliable as Grant Road.
Old 4th August 2011, 09:58   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: External antenna/signal booster for GSM mobiles

The best known mobile booster in India seems to be this product from Kumaar.com. Let me just tell you it is RUBBISH.

All GSM providers fail to provide a network at my place; that's why I called the Kumaar dudes over for a demo. After 20 minutes of carefully setting up the equipment, he asked me to check. No improvement. He went up to the terrace, changed the direction of the antenna / panel, then asked me to check again. No improvement. He spent the next 30 minutes adjusting & tweaking but, unfortunately, no improvement yet. It came to a point where I'm literally holding the cell phone next to his "booster" and still couldn't make a call without the other person's voice cracking (same as without the booster).

Maybe it works for some (seeing the client list on his website), but I am not convinced at all. Not cheap either. Cost is Rs. 18,000 for all networks, except the dual-band Vodafone for which the cost is Rs. 36,000.

I guess CDMA is the best bet for those of us living in poor network areas.
Old 4th August 2011, 11:08   #14
BANNED

Re: External antenna/signal booster for GSM mobiles

Let me add another bit. 800/900 MHz will have better building penetration that 1800/1900 MHz. The latter will be better for 3G. Then CDMA needs a lower signal level to work. Now CDMA is on 850MHz and the older GSM operators are also on 900 MHz.

Keep this in mind when deciding on the operator. I have checked on many US forums (esp. XDA Developers) and the results with boosters are almost universally bad.
Old 14th November 2011, 13:56   #15
BHPian

Re: Cell phone boosters

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaeLLe View Post
Hi all,

Am frustrated with the cell phone reception in my flat in Mumbai.
I live on the 17th floor of a tower on LBS Marg in Vikhroli West but if I walk around the house while on the phone or sometimes even when sitting in the same spot the call gets dropped.

The signal strength in my area is 5 bars which is the worst thing, even my providers cant seem to help.

This is the case with Airtel and Vodafone. (Both operate on different frequencies too). Reliance CDMA is just perfect in my area but I dont/cant drop my Airtel phone.

Can someone suggest a dealer/retailer from whom I can purchase a cell phone booster.
It should support 800, 1900 and 3G in the future when its launched.

Your help in this matter would be most appreciated.
I have exactly the same problem. I reside at 11th floor (in Chennai). All my neighbours residing above 6-7 floor seems to have this problem. Point is we have this problem with every operator and none are able to help us with this problem and we cant ask for installing the signal booster for the whole apartment, as many would be against such huge spending. So couple of our neighbours have agreed with us to install a antenna and booster point in each of our houses.

I see that you have posted this issue few months back. I hope you found a solution for this. Please let us know on the solution that you have come up to.

I seriously want to get rid of this issue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks