Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2009, 12:36   #16
BANNED

I am sure that article is written by someone at Microsoft
Old 24th March 2009, 12:39   #17
Senior - BHPian

To be fair, they did mention clearly that:

(Msnbc.com is a Microsoft-NBC Universal joint venture.)

That said, since when is Linux a 'gadget'? Does that make Windows a Gadget too, albeit one that rarely works as intended?

They've taken potshots at quite a few of Microsoft's competitors (or gadgets that Microsoft likes to THINK they are competing with), from Apple to Linux to Blackberry to TiVo...

Last edited by Steeroid : 24th March 2009 at 12:44.
Old 24th March 2009, 12:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I am sure that article is written by someone at Microsoft
Obviously, the link is from MSN ;-)
Old 24th March 2009, 13:02   #19
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

They've taken potshots at quite a few of Microsoft's competitors (or gadgets that Microsoft likes to THINK they are competing with), from Apple to Linux to Blackberry to TiVo...
Exactly! If you buy gadgets from MS then you are cool!

But somehow, I agree with the Blackberry stuff written. If you are travelling Blackberry makes sense but just use it for show-shining?
Old 24th March 2009, 13:15   #20
Team-BHP Support

I gave that article as an example, we don't have to focus totally on that. We can talk about what we see around us.

I do feel strange while talking to people who have the bluetooth ear ornament. Sometimes, I get confused whether they are talking to me or somebody else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Btw, according to that article, having linux makes you a jerk!!
I thought they were calling Linux fanatics as Jerks, not Linux users. There is a difference, for example I am a Linux user, not a fanatic.
Old 24th March 2009, 13:49   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I gave that article as an example, we don't have to focus totally on that. We can talk about what we see around us.

I do feel strange while talking to people who have the bluetooth ear ornament. Sometimes, I get confused whether they are talking to me or somebody else.

I thought they were calling Linux fanatics as Jerks, not Linux users. There is a difference, for example I am a Linux user, not a fanatic.
Hmm.. i think anyone who changes his/her cellphone/laptop/stereo every six months or so just to get his/her hands on the latest model would qualify for a gadget freak.

hehe.. the ones with bluetooth look really funny. Even ones talking on handsfree headsets. Former look totally mad as they seem to be talking to thin air, and latter look as if they are singing along to some song in a very bad tune.

As for linux fanatics. i have come across quite a few of them and they have been the most endearing species i have ever seen. As mentioned earlier in the thread, only Microsoft fanatics would call Linux fanatics jerks (Linux fanatics have a much more colorful vocabulary )
Old 24th March 2009, 13:59   #22
Team-BHP Support

Nopes, out of the 7 things listed in that link, I just use the bluetooth device while driving. In fact, had not even heard of some of the others.

I am safe, I think
Old 24th March 2009, 14:00   #23
capri_cap

the link does not seem to load, is it a problem just with me?

Old 24th March 2009, 18:04   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Somehow, over the past 4 - 5 years, I've become software-obsessed rather than gadget-obsessed. ANY software that is well-written, designed, functional and can make my life easier (personal or professional), I'm in!

Quote:
If you are travelling Blackberry makes sense but just use it for show-shining?
Just so many of them around, eh?!
Old 24th March 2009, 18:32   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
hehe.. the ones with bluetooth look really funny. Even ones talking on handsfree headsets. Former look totally mad as they seem to be talking to thin air, and latter look as if they are singing along to some song in a very bad tune.
worse, for a long time I thought my neighbor was talking to his dog when walking him.

I use bluetooth headset, both for phone and my laptop. much easier than wired headphones or putting on speaker (and let the world know what you are talking about). family can keep watching TV when I listen to my french language course.

I used to be a gadget lover, but recently I have stopped buying anything that I know I won't be using.
Old 24th March 2009, 18:34   #26
BHPian

I am definately a gadget freak if it means, Just to satisfy my gadget hunger i spend so much out of control Sometimes I even get Dreams of gadget of my desire and i get it as soon as i get enough funds
I got an Iphone
I got an E90
I got A USB pioneer System (The first that came got it just when it launched)
Then I got PIoneer Bluetooth car kit (Now I hardly use it)
Got Nokia Bluetooth for my late night talking
and and
I have wired internet connection everywhere but still I got a wifi router so that i can browse internet on my phones....

Recently
Am actually these days saving for PS3 which i'll get from bankok in june, so to run PS3 I def need a HD tv. Though my CRT tv is working just fine but still.. So i'll also get and LCD along with ps3 and now LCD's doesnt have good sound so I'll also have to get a Home theatre to go with it..So you see not my fault there's nothing i can do to avoid such stuff...
Old 24th March 2009, 18:59   #27
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodystopme View Post
I am definately a gadget freak if it means, Just to satisfy my gadget hunger i spend so much out of control Sometimes I even get Dreams of gadget of my desire and i get it as soon as i get enough funds
I got an Iphone
I got an E90
I got A USB pioneer System (The first that came got it just when it launched)
Then I got PIoneer Bluetooth car kit (Now I hardly use it)
Got Nokia Bluetooth for my late night talking
and and
I have wired internet connection everywhere but still I got a wifi router so that i can browse internet on my phones....
You are truly living to your handle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodystopme View Post
Recently
Am actually these days saving for PS3 which i'll get from bankok in june, so to run PS3 I def need a HD tv. Though my CRT tv is working just fine but still.. So i'll also get and LCD along with ps3 and now LCD's doesnt have good sound so I'll also have to get a Home theatre to go with it..So you see not my fault there's nothing i can do to avoid such stuff...
Yes! Along with LCD, Surround Sound System you also need a Force Feedback Wheel. Because playing driving games on PS3 with arrows and buttons is too boring! Also you need to add 300GB HD to your PS3 so that you can enjoy more games.
May be go in for wireless joysticks? Or PS3 comes with wireless ones?
Old 24th March 2009, 19:19   #28
BHPian

this is some juicy thread... here i come..

Im a hopeless gadget addict and not just love gizmo collection, but use them upto the hilt and enjoy.

Been a gizmo freak since school days, but could afford to lay my hands on them when i reached the first own paycheck, and that too in college.

here is my current list of gizmos that i own :
1. E71 ( Special Edition - white - specially got a Made in Finland from Helsinki)
2. Palm Treo 650 ( love the thick antennae )
3. PS3 - Got it as a backdoor excuse - gift for Son who stood 2nd in his class, but end up playing all the time. Preferred this due to the Blu Ray Player.
4. Kodak Digital Photo Frame ( darn it, when i was looking, 7" is what was the biggest available, n behold, within the next week, Kodak launches a 10" model.. so now looking to buy that and shift the 7" baby to home )
5. JVC 814 Double Din System for my Innova... its a real beauty with sound to boot, spend a bomb mating it to the Illusions n Ground Zero ICE setup
6. A top end PC System housed in the Look Inside Transparent ANTEC Cabinet. The See through motherboard & oversize cooling fans along with LED's FAN is a sight to behold. Now hunting for a BIG monitor.
7. Creative 4.1 Home Theatre System hooked to the PC with a Creative Live Sound Card.

Lemme think a wee bit more, what else is classified as gizmos
then would add some more.

BTW.. for all us Gizmo Maniacs --- T3 & Stuff are the ultimate droolmaal Bibles rite now in the market for us.... to make us realise how farther away we are in pursuit of the ultimate gizmo dream... they have so many new n upcoming gizmos being featured, i wonder if we mere mortals will achieve Gizmo Nirvana in this lifetime.
So keep Dreaming, for all you know, one fine day we may be there.
Old 24th March 2009, 20:25   #29
Team-BHP Support

I am a cured gadget freak, in the 90s I bought lot of useless stuff.

Some of the major ones are listed here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...last-past.html (Blast from the past)

These days I rarely buy useless stuff, I guess I've learnt from my earlier mistakes.
Old 24th March 2009, 20:29   #30
BHPian

summer of 90's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I am a cured gadget freak, in the 90s I bought lot of useless stuff.

Some of the major ones are listed here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...last-past.html (Blast from the past)

These days I rarely buy useless stuff, I guess I've learnt from my earlier mistakes.
Hey thats kool... that casio PDA took me back to the good ole era.. \
incidentally that was my first pda too...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks