Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2009, 08:41   #16
Team-BHP Support

Resolved!
I tried calling up nodal office, but nobody was picking up the phone which was coming constantly busy.
So I called up 121 and asked to escalate my complaint.
Soon after, multiple calls came apologizing for the delay, and at 6pm as asked, the engineers came in.

Finally I have IPTV. And the best part is 7 days time shift TV for 35 channels
Old 24th May 2009, 12:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hi Tsk,

How's the IPTV experiance going on! I have read lots of complaints about the PQ and the way they are streaming the media. Are you experiancing the similar issues and realized the truemeaning of impatient yet!!

A brief review of the PQ and service would be of great help!
Does anyone know if Airtel IPTV is available in Bangalore.
Old 24th May 2009, 14:29   #18
Team-BHP Support

The Picture Quality is okay. Nothing exceptional, as good as the other options in the market.
The time shift TV is a boon. However, alls not rosy. Last night while watching a long program, the channel shifted on its own.
With the fast forward feature we could come back to the same place we were watching but this happened multiple times.
I don't know whether its a set top box issue, or a server side issue. Tomorrow I will speak to the engineers.
Another annoying thing is that if you switch off the STB, and power goes after that, when power comes, the STB automatically turns itself on.
Old 25th May 2009, 14:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

Do they have all the pay channels ? HBO/Pix/Star Movies/Sports etc ?
Old 25th May 2009, 14:57   #20
Team-BHP Support

Yes all movies and entertainment channels are there. I am not sure how many sports channels are there as I hardly watch any sports channels!
However IPL was coming as they have sony.
I think complete channel list is on the website
Old 1st June 2009, 10:36   #21
Senior - BHPian

I have heard Airtel IPTV is coming to Bangalore and Chennai in another month or so. Not from an official source though.

Can someone compare the Audio and Video quality of Airtel IPTV with TataSky or Airtel Digital TV?
I'm not sure if its okay to compromise with some initial issues that Airtel IPTV is going to face considering the long term advantage when it starts performing well and you have some good HD channels to watch and some good HD movies available on demand!!!!
There is one provider in Bangalore I guess its ACT TV or something whos giving IPTV services at the moment (selected areas only) with a good STB that supports streaming internet media like youtube and so.. Hoping to see those features with Airtel soon, if thats going to be the future, we may not need some of the PCH features just a normal NMT would do.
Old 1st June 2009, 10:52   #22
Team-BHP Support

From what I have seen in shops, most Dish TV services(except for Sun TV) do not have HD signal. So quality of TV will be similar.
In future maybe when more bandwidth is available, airtel can perhaps offer IP HDTV.
The current set top box does not have HDMI, however there is a plastic HDMI shaped slot cover at the back of the box which means in future revisions HDMI may be added.
Most probably I suspect the board of the STB has HDMI capability, but its not gotten out to the port in this market.

Usually companies make same boards for different versions of products, and depending upon market differentiation, they can choose to take out the signals to a port or not.
Old 1st June 2009, 11:39   #23
BHPian

Hey Tanveer - did you get the per month charge issue resolved? Does it work as a Wifi router? How is it connected - through a normal telephone cable? What if I want to connect two TVs then do I need two boxes, for these 35 channels can you play anything of last one week, can you fast forward / rewind these channels while watching?

Some of the questions that come to my mind.
Old 1st June 2009, 11:53   #24
Team-BHP Support

Per month charge... Well next bill will have 1599 instead of 1499 charge, thats all,
As for connection.
The telephone line connects to wifi router.
The wifi router has a dedicated port for IPTV where you put in a CAT-5 which goes into the STB.
So if you have 2 TVS, you will need two STBs, and maybe even 2 routers(though its should not be difficult to use another port of the same router)
Old 14th December 2009, 22:07   #25
BHPian

Slightly old thread, but might just as well turn it into the Airtel IPTV thread. I used to have the Airtel 999 plan with internet speed of 384 kbps. Some pushy sales fellow kept on offering us the IPTV upgrade with no change in plan and speed, only one time payment for activation/installation. I had specifically asked about the internet speed and he said no change. I did not bother to cross check. Now that it is installed, I am told by the installation guy that my speed will now be 256 kbps. It is indeed slower than before. I feel so cheated. Now if I want same speed as before I will have to pay Rs.300 more (as per Airtel website). I hope my experience makes others more careful!
Old 15th December 2009, 10:37   #26
Team-BHP Support

Same here. That was introductory offer. Now you have to pay 200 more for same speed.
For example, 1Mbps night 512kbps day plan is 1299, but on IPTV its 1499
Old 15th December 2009, 10:46   #27
Senior - BHPian

^I'm on that same broadband plan. Waiting for Airtel to start IPTV in Bangalore.
Any news on they adding new locations apart from Delhi and NCR?
Old 16th December 2009, 10:44   #28
BHPian

It is available in bangalore. One of my peer has an Airtel IPTV connection at ORR - KR Puram area.
Old 16th December 2009, 10:50   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajakumar View Post
It is available in bangalore. One of my peer has an Airtel IPTV connection at ORR - KR Puram area.

Are you sure!

I dont see the availability in Bangalore. If they are doing beta testing I may be interested.

Could you please check with you friends on user experience and how did he get it? If your friend has good experience, I shall go ahead with that.
Let me know if you find some more information from your friend on whom to contact and so on (I asked airtel a few days back and they said its not yet available in Bangalore).
Old 4th January 2010, 01:38   #30
Senior - BHPian

I called up Airtel, intially they were not sure whether DTH or broadband services will answer this query! but the final answer I got was its not yet arrived in Bangalore, they dont know when is it going to happen.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks