Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2008, 13:20   #31
HPP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcanthisbe View Post
valentine1 is the best .. you can dis assemble it and mount it in a way that no one can tell it is present in the car except the driver of the car
check out the valentine1 website or PM for the links for the DIY hidden displays for V1
Agreed, the V1 is the best. I've had access to most, and there have been millions of discussions on car forums regarding what is the best, but the one with the most consistent comments for it is the V1. Myself, my brother, and most my friends all bought them and we've all had many others before the V1.. nothing compares.
Old 6th September 2009, 13:29   #32

Speed Radar Detectors

Hi fellow motorists,

These days i have been spotting a lot of these police Interceptors suv's on a lot of open stretches in Bangalore, and I have been told that they are a common sight in a lot many cities nowdays. I personally have been busted by these guys twice .

So, I have made up my mind up to get myself a radar detector from states. But I have no idea what frequency radar the police are using back here in India. Are they use radar or laser guns? Any body with info on the same, please throw some light on the topic. One thing I have noticed is that the interceptors always sit with the rear door opened and the guns pointed on the road, could they be using laser guns (my guess is that the laser cant work through glasses)?? Please enlighten me on the same.

I did some research on the net, and have narrowed my options down to Beltronics Vector 955,Whistler Pro 78 SE and Whistler XTR 695 SE. Anybody with some experience on this, .

Drive safe..and always wear seat belts..they save lives.

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th September 2009 at 14:17. Reason: Please use Search before opening a new thread. Thanks
Old 19th November 2009, 23:30   #33

Experience with Whistler XTR 330 and pics

I have been using Whistler XTR 330 now for more then one and half year.. Its has really been very helpful but it is useless in case of laser detection. its only useful for K and other bands, except laser. In case of K band, alert is sounded very well in advance.

I have just ordered a Laser Interceptor. Hopefully should get it within a weeks time.

P.S. All info provided here is for educational purpose, not meant to used for breaking the law.
Attached Thumbnails
Radar / Laser Detectors-img_0017.jpg  

Tj00072 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2009, 04:22   #34
BHPian

hmmm

Interesting topic. I used one made by cobra here. Its modified to recognise over 15 bands. Issue is it constantly jumps over xband which can come from even automatic door openers.

I thought in india there was no need, so was going to leave it here when coming back to india but now i will definately bring it with me.

How frequent are cops with radar/laser guns in chd ???

Cheers
Old 20th November 2009, 08:20   #35
Senior - BHPian

is there an efficient Laser detection system in the market?
And Bangy people ,do you know whether the interceptors use lasers or radar system to detect your speed?
i think more than detectors,laser jammers are gaining popularity.
Old 20th November 2009, 10:51   #36
Team-BHP Support

In the north cops have gone Laser. And even the latest and greatest in the market fail when it comes to laser, unless you get an advance warning due to bounce from vehicle in front of you.
Old 20th November 2009, 11:08   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
In the north cops have gone Laser. And even the latest and greatest in the market fail when it comes to laser, unless you get an advance warning due to bounce from vehicle in front of you.
In reality even the best Laser Speed traps keep the diodes warm at 0.3mw and when required boost the ir laser to anywhere between 3mw to 50mw, at 50mw its considered a serious threat to human eyes (in reality 3mw+ is considered sufficient to burn retina permanently) and belltronics and cobra catch that, hence the reason both are very jumpy and considered Field detector rather than laser/radar detector.

You can find these diodes and small circuits very easily, to make yourself burning laser pointers

Cheers
Old 21st November 2009, 09:17   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by it_inspector View Post
hmmm

Interesting topic. I used one made by cobra here. Its modified to recognise over 15 bands. Issue is it constantly jumps over xband which can come from even automatic door openers.

I thought in india there was no need, so was going to leave it here when coming back to india but now i will definately bring it with me.

How frequent are cops with radar/laser guns in chd ???

Cheers
I had a similar problem, radar being triggered by door openers in chandigarh and there are many of such in chandigarh.

They best you can do is switch the radar detector to city mode, in my radar detector it doesn't pick-up week signals of door openers in city mode.
Tj00072 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2009, 09:23   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Yes, the police has now adopted laser guns, esp on national highway. I have a radar/laser detector installed in my car but for laser its useless because it takes less then 1/10 of a second to detect your speed.

Way out, there are laser jamming equipment available which will jamm the laser guns trying to detect the speed of the vehicle.

I have just ordered a Laser Interceptor Dual for my car.. estimated delivery is 24th nov. will update the results soon.
Old 23rd November 2009, 14:44   #40
BHPian

What is the cost and brand . please update on results.
Old 26th November 2009, 19:53   #41

It has arrived.. The brand is Laser Interceptor. It costed be around 800$ including shipping. Will install very soon.
Old 21st November 2010, 13:09   #42
BHPian

I tried using a Whistler XTR 150, it was useless against the laser gun. So removed it out of the car atleast to avoid the noises it gives everytime.
$800 is pretty high...Isnt it?
Old 5th December 2010, 20:27   #43
Senior - BHPian

Guys, got challaned INR 300 for over-speeding this evening. I was coming back from TVM and according to the Police Radar, the Punto was cruising @ 76kmph. The allowed maximum limit is 70kmph only. This happened in byepass, near the defunct Chevy showroom.

- what is the possibility of getting an AFFORDABLE Radar detector in India?

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 5th December 2010 at 20:29.
Old 3rd April 2011, 23:29   #44
BHPian

Re: Radar / Laser Detectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj00072 View Post
It has arrived.. The brand is Laser Interceptor. It costed be around 800$ including shipping. Will install very soon.
Did you get it installed. How is the experience, worth 40K?
Old 3rd April 2011, 23:32   #45
BHPian

Re: Radar / Laser Detectors

I doubt whether any of the cops in India is using Radar based detectors. All of them are using Laser detectors. As mentioned in the earlier replies, it does not help to use a laser detector but a laser jammer would help. The laser Jammer is very costly (close to 40K), which is not really worth in Indian context. Usually cops give 10% tolerence based on the analog based speedometer that is used. I guess, you might have a chance to appeal in the court with the standard speedometer variance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks