Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2009, 17:52   #16
BHPian

thats a very well build/designed HT room. Can you post more pics in finished condition?
Old 1st July 2009, 20:00   #17
BHPian

Thats a cool adcom amp. Hard to see these days.the 555 would have been great though. Enjoy!!!
Old 2nd July 2009, 13:27   #18
BHPian

After a visit to see Srisha's HT and also reading on several online resources, there is a lot of work that goes into making a Room a Home Theatre. This was expected and I am enjoying my time reading and understanding some of these concepts. Ofcourse, there are many that I do not understand too. So, I have tried to put together a high-level summary of whats involved if one were to make a Home Theatre Room:

Treatment on Walls:
a) Metal Channels\Frames are installed on the wall at equal intervals of 2 ft by 2 ft. The Channels can be made of wood too
b) Polyurethene (?) Foam is cut to size and stuffed in the square hollow area formed by the channels
c) Porous Acoustic boards are fitted on the channels. Srisha has used a product called Anutone
d) Thick porous fabric is then fitted on to the boards - Apart from providing a neat finish, this fabric further dampens the sound. This step is optional though

Ceiling:
The ceiling should not be covered with any sound absorption material. So the ceiling can be left without any treatment(provided it is a smooth surface already). The ceiling needs to be a hard surface as it acts as a reflector and enables the sound to travel till the rear of the room. If not, one would require more amplification to achieve the same results. Optionally, one could get creative and design a false ceiling using Gyspum board like Srisha has done. A Home Theatre is also about shoing off, so the options are immense For Eg: Starlit ceiling using optic-fibres, lighting effects, paintings etc.

Floor:
Carpetting the floor helps in dampening of sound and it is suggested that there is a carpet atleast near the front speakers. Optionally, the floor can be entirely carpetted.

Srisha and other experts, please add anything that I may have missed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456 View Post
Thats a cool adcom amp. Hard to see these days.the 555 would have been great though. Enjoy!!!
Thanks sk456. Yes, I love my Adcom 535 and can only imagine what the legendary 555 sounds like. I hope to own one someday and also change to an Adcom Pre-amp. Someday!!
Old 2nd July 2009, 15:26   #19
BHPian

Srisha has used Anutone Acoustic Treatment of walls and I was impressed with the fit and finish. So, I enquired about Anutone and got a quote of around Rs.250 per square feet.

The cost includes the below treatment for the walls:
a) Metal Channels\Frames
b) Polyurethene (?) Foam
c) Porous Acoustic boards
d) Thick porous fabric is then fitted on to the boards

If possible, I would like to bring down the cost by procuring the materials and getting the work done by my carpenter. I am able to make or procure the Channels\Frames and the Porous fabric. I am now looking for leads to source the Acoustic Foam and the Acoustic boards by myself.

My search through Just Dial, yellow pages etc had so far only led me to professional sound/acoustic consultants/engineers and they will not divulge their sourcing (I did not ask them and fairly so). Also, in the little search that I did, I found that materials become very expensive the moment you mention your application is 'Home Theater'.

I am pretty confident that these materials must be used in some industrial or other applications. If so, I would like to know what the local names are for the acoustic foam and acoustic board. For Eg: In the US, DIY enthusiasts use some materials called rock wool, studio foam etc for their Home Theater build. Here nobody seems to know these materials.

Also, I was aware of Glass Wool's acoustic properties and was able to source this easily, but it is a hazardous substance(banned in many countries) and I would like to avoid this. Are there any other porous boards that can be used?

Last edited by S@~+#0$# : 2nd July 2009 at 15:27.
Old 2nd July 2009, 21:06   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
Srisha has used Anutone Acoustic Treatment of walls and I was impressed with the fit and finish. So, I enquired about Anutone and got a quote of around Rs.250 per square feet.

The cost includes the below treatment for the walls:
a) Metal Channels\Frames
b) Polyurethene (?) Foam
c) Porous Acoustic boards
d) Thick porous fabric is then fitted on to the boards

If possible, I would like to bring down the cost by procuring the materials and getting the work done by my carpenter. I am able to make or procure the Channels\Frames and the Porous fabric. I am now looking for leads to source the Acoustic Foam and the Acoustic boards by myself.

My search through Just Dial, yellow pages etc had so far only led me to professional sound/acoustic consultants/engineers and they will not divulge their sourcing (I did not ask them and fairly so). Also, in the little search that I did, I found that materials become very expensive the moment you mention your application is 'Home Theater'.

I am pretty confident that these materials must be used in some industrial or other applications. If so, I would like to know what the local names are for the acoustic foam and acoustic board. For Eg: In the US, DIY enthusiasts use some materials called rock wool, studio foam etc for their Home Theater build. Here nobody seems to know these materials.

Also, I was aware of Glass Wool's acoustic properties and was able to source this easily, but it is a hazardous substance(banned in many countries) and I would like to avoid this. Are there any other porous boards that can be used?
These accoustic material are available in the market however different people use it for diff purposes. For e.g. glass wool / polyreuthane, mineral fibre and many such... materials are used in AC ducts, places around heavy machinery to absorb sound.

Hence you may use these in your theater as well, but you should use the right density since high desnity ones may kill the room and make it sound dead.

The industrial foam is hazadrdous and causes irritation when contacted with body, i had the experience when i got the sample which you saw in my house.

Channels - easily available in the market, go to a hardware shop or a guy who deals with false sealing. Alternativey you could use wood as well, however it can be more expensive compared to aluminium channels.

Accoustic Panels - these are nothing but boards made from willow, pine or any other wooden husk with some joining compound (PoP). There are very few who deal with this material. I have tried some but didnt find them very good in quality or the other were outside Bangalore and I will not buy some thins I have not seen or felt.

Considering all of the above I chose Anutone, though they are a little expensive since they are of international standards, quality and provides fire, water, termite resistant material.
Old 2nd July 2009, 21:36   #21
BHPian

All the very best for your efforts!!!

I was in the same track sometime back, but could not materialize because of the budget concern. I have some good pdf documents and videos for reference, but not able to attach because of the size. Just send me your e-mail id if you want to have a look.
Old 3rd July 2009, 16:20   #22
BHPian

Thanks Srisha and LionX.

@LionX: Even I wanted to do this much earlier but just could not get enough money saved up to do this in one shot. That is the reason, I am doing this in phases. I bought most of the equipment required in the same manner. Maybe you could do the same.

Please email the documents and links that you have collected. My email id is santhosh underscore rd at yahoo dot com .
Old 16th January 2010, 00:43   #23
Senior - BHPian

very informative thread. guys any further updates?

if not, may be others who have experience building Home Theater kindly share your experiences please

Thank You
Old 16th January 2010, 02:13   #24
BHPian

Hey, I sell carpets for a living and they have NRC of 0.15.

Try options of carpet tiles, easier to maintain but twice as expensive but come with 15 years warranty.

Options are

InterfaceFLOR
Milliken
Shaw
Old 18th January 2010, 09:20   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
very informative thread. guys any further updates?

if not, may be others who have experience building Home Theater kindly share your experiences please

Thank You
Glad that you are interest in this topic. I have completed my Home Theater and it is fully functional now. I have documented the entire build, cost of materials etc on another Forum called Hifivision. Here is the link:

Building my Home Theatre Room - Please guide me

Quote:
Originally Posted by haithereitsme View Post
Hey, I sell carpets for a living and they have NRC of 0.15.

Try options of carpet tiles, easier to maintain but twice as expensive but come with 15 years warranty.

Options are

InterfaceFLOR
Milliken
Shaw
Carpets(unless they are really thick) are good only for taming low and mid range frequencies. You will need to use acoustic boards like Anutone or Glasswool to handle bass.

Could you please point me to an online catalogue of the products that you have listed and also give me a rough indication on costs.
Old 18th January 2010, 09:23   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456 View Post
sk456, I now have an Adcom 555 MKII as well. Was able to locate one after a search of close to 5 years.
Old 20th January 2010, 12:21   #27
BHPian

Hi Santhosh - Just wanted to say that this is a really nice job. Can you post pictures of the finished result?

Cheers,
V

Last edited by vcash : 20th January 2010 at 12:23.
Old 20th January 2010, 16:57   #28
BHPian

Great knowledge shared . Please share the pics of the completed setup .
Lucky you have the freedom to construct a seperate sound room , we just can afford a 3 bedroom flat .
Old 17th September 2014, 11:00   #29
Senior - BHPian

Re: Building a Home Theatre Room

Hello TBHPians,

I have a full working home theater system that exceeds my expectation every time I turn it on. However I'm here to ask expert opening if Mural art is done on my wall, will it create any sort of impact on the sound quality ?

I'm asking this question as few of the doors in my home creates a creepy sound if the bass goes up on the AVR, hence I managed with some soft spongy sticker on my door edges to get away with the probolem.

As of now the setup hosts hopping 12 speakers (Speakers[front & sorround], Subwoofer, Zone 2[height] and 3[wide] )

Here is the setup in my house, I'm planning to introduce mural art on the left hand side wall. What is your experience with the idea ?
Building a Home Theatre Room-img_4772.jpg

Last edited by trammway : 17th September 2014 at 11:09.
Old 17th September 2014, 12:27   #30
BHPian

Re: Building a Home Theatre Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Hello TBHPians,

I have a full working home theater system that exceeds my expectation every time I turn it on. However I'm here to ask expert opening if Mural art is done on my wall, will it create any sort of impact on the sound quality ?

I'm asking this question as few of the doors in my home creates a creepy sound if the bass goes up on the AVR, hence I managed with some soft spongy sticker on my door edges to get away with the probolem.

As of now the setup hosts hopping 12 speakers (Speakers[front & sorround], Subwoofer, Zone 2[height] and 3[wide] )

Here is the setup in my house, I'm planning to introduce mural art on the left hand side wall. What is your experience with the idea ?
Attachment 1288716
Note : If you are looking for suggestions, better create a new thread.

You have a good setup and a room. Assuming from the pics, they are Polk TSi series and Onkyo AVR and Polk sub.
I dont see change \ impact on the SQ as far as the current setup is concerned as the L / R and Front walls are all reflective.

As the current setup is concerned, I would suggest the following changes / improvements wrt to better SQ:

- Any speaker need a breathing space, if possible move the speakers into the room. This also removes the issues of speaker located at a corner. This is to reduce the side-effect of room modes.
- I would have suggested a thick curtain for the right side window, but unless the same is not done to the left wall or with any other sound absorbing material, it wont make any sense.
- I dont see any way to reduce the reflections from the center portions of the wall, if possible do it, even a temp arrangement while listening to music will give a good depth in the soundstage.
- Try to face the center channel slightly upwards along with a thick rug on the reflection point on the floor.
- Move the sub into the room. You can do a "crawling test" to find the best location.
With the above two itself, you will get a better soundstage and channel separation.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 17th September 2014 at 12:32.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks